Rome to transfer

Jokes aside, this isn't good. We're laughably inexperienced across the defensive line, have little depth as it is and lost two starters from last year's line that wasn't that great to begin with.

Completely understand where you're coming from, and you're not wrong.

There is something, however, to that old adage about addition by subtraction. Call it the Milton Bradley effect. Milton has been on a thousand baseball teams because he is incredibly talented...and he's such a disruptive force, that every clubhouse he joins turns into bitter hatefest by the time the GM steps up and eagerly swallows a giant cash loss just to get rid of the tumor.

And I'm not sure Chase is on par with Milton, both in talent terms or attitude issues. Something is causing this kid to behave in an undependable, erratic way though. Honestly, he has the physical tools to be a better player than he is, too. I get the sense Chase never locked up because he was the last one leaving the weight room.

So, I think you're right in what you're saying, but I disagree with the conclusion. I think it is good, kind of like I felt like Andrew Green leaving was a good thing. (Heard, on the other hand....) Bad attitude guys murder a team...just absolutely tear even incredibly talented teams to shreds. On the flip side, (don't know why I keep falling back on baseball,) a GM will pay a decent amount of cash for a guy who really can't even play. That was basically the last two years or so of Erstad's baseball career. The guy played like a football player so he basically tore his body apart diving into walls, cathchers, you name it...but a precious roster slot was carved out of the 25 a front office is alotted strictly for Erstad's locker room presence.

We need tough minded guys with good attitudes more than we need the depth that a Chase Rome Drama Factory provides, in my humble opinion anyhow.

• Fire 5

Jokes aside, this isn't good. We're laughably inexperienced across the defensive line, have little depth as it is and lost two starters from last year's line that wasn't very good to begin with.

Curry, Guy, Okuyemi, Randle, Uher, Valentine, Williams, and now with Collins and Maurice, I think we are fine on depth. This isn't even counting the Walk-ons who may emerge as legitimate threats.

Jokes aside, this isn't good. We're laughably inexperienced across the defensive line, have little depth as it is and lost two starters from last year's line that wasn't very good to begin with.

Curry, Guy, Okuyemi, Randle, Uher, Valentine, Williams, and now with Collins and Maurice, I think we are fine on depth. This isn't even counting the Walk-ons who may emerge as legitimate threats.

But proven depth?

Curry, Guy, Okuyemi, Randle, Uher, Valentine, Williams, and now with Collins and Maurice,

• Fire 1

Jokes aside, this isn't good. We're laughably inexperienced across the defensive line, have little depth as it is and lost two starters from last year's line that wasn't that great to begin with.

Completely understand where you're coming from, and you're not wrong.

There is something, however, to that old adage about addition by subtraction. Call it the Milton Bradley effect. Milton has been on a thousand baseball teams because he is incredibly talented...and he's such a disruptive force, that every clubhouse he joins turns into bitter hatefest by the time the GM steps up and eagerly swallows a giant cash loss just to get rid of the tumor.

And I'm not sure Chase is on par with Milton, both in talent terms or attitude issues. Something is causing this kid to behave in an undependable, erratic way though. Honestly, he has the physical tools to be a better player than he is, too. I get the sense Chase never locked up because he was the last one leaving the weight room.

So, I think you're right in what you're saying, but I disagree with the conclusion. I think it is good, kind of like I felt like Andrew Green leaving was a good thing. (Heard, on the other hand....) Bad attitude guys murder a team...just absolutely tear even incredibly talented teams to shreds. On the flip side, (don't know why I keep falling back on baseball,) a GM will pay a decent amount of cash for a guy who really can't even play. That was basically the last two years or so of Erstad's baseball career. The guy played like a football player so he basically tore his body apart diving into walls, cathchers, you name it...but a precious roster slot was carved out of the 25 a front office is alotted strictly for Erstad's locker room presence.

We need tough minded guys with good attitudes more than we need the depth that a Chase Rome Drama Factory provides, in my humble opinion anyhow.

Good perspective.

Look at the Lakers. And that's a pro team, that should be able to put all crap aside because it's their job.

But proven depth?

Curry, Guy, Okuyemi, Randle, Uher, Valentine, Williams, and now with Collins and Maurice,

You're implying that Rome was "proven depth".

I beg to differ.

• Fire 2

But proven depth?

We didn't have "proven" depth last year. We had some experience at the position. But other than Stein, nobody proved anything noteworthy.

But proven depth?

I beg to differ.

Nah, that wasn't his point. The names of the guys he struck out are guys with ZERO experience, essentially.

When I say depth, I don't merely mean bodies, I mean experience. We have plenty of bodies there, but very little of it is experienced, and several haven't played meaningful snaps.

When a defense isn't playing well, the first place you have to look is the LOS, and that's where we were definitely weakest last year. And now to lose two starters AND Rome? Difficult situation.

But proven depth?

I beg to differ.

Nah, that wasn't his point. The names of the guys he struck out are guys with ZERO experience, essentially.

I know that. And, I'm saying that even with Rome's experience, if he has a bad attitude and isn't going to bust his butt and get better then someone with no experience and a GOOD attitude is better.

I don't know enough about Rome's personality to say whether his loss is good for the psyche of the team. The airport paper towel dispenser incident is confirmed, and there's been mention of others. A close friend of mine says she's friends with his girlfriend, and that he explosively yells at her (his girlfriend) and is very over-bearing a la anger management issues.

Regardless, you're probably right. Maybe his transferring will benefit the team from a psychological standpoint. It's just a really difficult situation when you consider the fact that we're losing two starters, Eric Martin, and now Rome to transfer. It leaves us even thinner in a unit where we couldn't afford to be any thinner.

Hopefully it's for the better, because there's not much else to say about it. I'll just be very disappointed if another relatively successful offensive performance is wasted away next year because our defensive line is a sieve.

• Fire 1

But proven depth?

I beg to differ.

Not really, no. But isnt that kind of the point. We havent seen anymore out of all the guys on that list than we did Rome, whice means that the jury is still out on the DLIne. Hence, I'm not ready to say "we're fine".