Rome to transfer

What kind of experience does it take to play defensive line?? I mean seriously...

Yeah, I'm persuaded some by your post. I will say that I think the physical maturity issue is a huge deal. Some guys, that really isn't a factor. I had a friend that (honestly) grew legitimate facial hair by age ten, and by sixteen was bald. Not baldING, bald. So, some mature faster than others. But typically, guys don't really grow into their "man" frames until at least 20, and often not quite yet even then. That does bother me.

But yeah, experience is overrated if you're coming off consecutive 9 loss seasons and most of those kids will be back. :lol:

What kind of experience does it take to play defensive line?? I mean seriously...

Yeah, I'm persuaded some by your post. I will say that I think the physical maturity issue is a huge deal. Some guys, that really isn't a factor. I had a friend that (honestly) grew legitimate facial hair by age ten, and by sixteen was bald. Not baldING, bald. So, some mature faster than others. But typically, guys don't really grow into their "man" frames until at least 20, and often not quite yet even then. That does bother me.

But yeah, experience is overrated if you're coming off consecutive 9 loss seasons and most of those kids will be back. :lol:

Our kids may not have "on the field" experience, but our RS Freshman, and Sophomores have been hard at work perfecting their game. They have been to the games, they know what they are getting into. Its not like we are starting true freshman who have only been to one game, which was a visit (if they were lucky enough to get one during the season). Coach Kaz knows how to coach these kids and he will have them ready, if they aren't already.

Jokes aside, this isn't good. We're laughably inexperienced across the defensive line, have little depth as it is and lost two starters from last year's line that wasn't very good to begin with.

Curry, Guy, Okuyemi, Randle, Uher, Valentine, Williams, and now with Collins and Maurice, I think we are fine on depth. This isn't even counting the Walk-ons who may emerge as legitimate threats.

Pelini also answered yes to a question about any current DEs who might be looked at at the D tackle position. I am assuming he means McMullen.

2 predictions that I'm fairly confident of: 1. we make a late push to pick up a JUCO d-lineman who has not signed yet 2. we see A LOT of 3-4 next year.

JP's selling point to Gregory, was that we were going to see a lot of 3-4 next year. Thats why we have been stacking up on LB's, I believe.

Look at all the linebackers and the mold of the DTs we've been recruiting. This class has more of the 4-3 types, but Curry and Valentine are more 3-4 bodies. Also, I feel like some of the ends we've recruited could play outside linebacker if need be. We go more 3-4 and we're more worried about linebacker depth than DT depth.

Very interesting reactions. On huskermax it is basically don't let the door hit you in the ars on the way out. On bighuskerfan the sky is falling. Here the view of Rome leaving is mixed. As a person who coached HS football for 20 years in my opinion experience can be very overated, Its nice to have, but if a team was 3-9 the year before, but returns 17 starters that doesn't automatically make the team good the next year. Talent is way more important than experience. If the guys coming up are talented than it won't really matter. If the talent and the moter is there experience isn't all that important.

Good post. If everything we have heard can be believed this is the most talented group of young D-lineman we have had in some time. It is comforting knowing that we should have about 8 games to get these guys ready and should (knock on wood) have many blowouts during those first 8 games to get all these guys involved and up to speed.

Jokes aside, this isn't good. We're laughably inexperienced across the defensive line, have little depth as it is and lost two starters from last year's line that wasn't very good to begin with.

Curry, Guy, Okuyemi, Randle, Uher, Valentine, Williams, and now with Collins and Maurice, I think we are fine on depth. This isn't even counting the Walk-ons who may emerge as legitimate threats.

Pelini also answered yes to a question about any current DEs who might be looked at at the D tackle position. I am assuming he means McMullen.

McMullen is another kid the coaches have been raving about. I know Pelini stated about how he should have played him, rather than redshirting.

When you really think about it, across the defensive line board, we have a very young defensive line going into the next season. I fully expect to see a lot of rotating guys around and in/out of formations. Who those guys will be, hopefully will be answered better after spring ball. I expect to see anywhere between 5 - 8 guys rotating in different spots and packages on the defensive line.

Well, the way I'm going to look at this is in a positive light. Rome must have seen the badass dudes we got chomping at the bit to get their shot to play, and he saw the writing on the wall. I like the young talent we have, and although I wish they wouldn't have rode the bench all year last year, it surely should mean that this year they are absolutely f'ing' ready to bust some heads! Rome must have known his time was up, best wishes to him in the future.

Pelini fells the same way:

Pelini said each incoming player should prepare as if he will play in 2013.

''I look back and I think the one mistake I did make is that I didn't play some of these kids more, that I did redshirt some of these kids,'' he said, referring to past recruiting classes. ''I made that decision a little bit too quick and I've kicked myself for it. You evaluate and you learn.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Nebraska-signs-26-new-players-in-recruiting-class-72625966