Barney Moving to TE Coach?

HuskerZag

There's confirmation of the move from Pelini now. Excerpts from the Brian Christopherson blog:

Cotton's duties altered slightly, Pelini says

Barney Cotton's coaching duties have been altered slightly, according to Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini.

Cotton will continue to work with the offensive line, along with John Garrison. However, Cotton's primary duties will be to coordinate the run game and work with tight ends.

Pelini emphasized that Cotton will continue to work with the offensive line. "He has a lot of offensive line expertise, and we're going to use it."

Garrison will meet with the offensive line by himself on a more regular basis, Pelini said.

As for speculation that Cotton was being demoted, Pelini said, "That's ludicrous."

EDIT - also, moved this out of Rumorville due to confirmation.

I think this is a good move. I never have been someone who bashes Cotton like other fans. Honestly, I was always luke warm as far as offensive line coach. I can see him being more of a big picture guy like in the article and leaving the nuts and bolts coaching to Garrison as far as O line.

My concern with him as the O line coach was when I see him in person, the guy really has a hard time getting around. Looks like he has really bad knees or hips. I remember Milt had that problem late in his life and it really limited him on what he could do as a coach when needing to show players something.

There's confirmation of the move from Pelini now. Excerpts from the Brian Christopherson blog:

Cotton's duties altered slightly, Pelini says

Barney Cotton's coaching duties have been altered slightly, according to Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini.

Cotton will continue to work with the offensive line, along with John Garrison. However, Cotton's primary duties will be to coordinate the run game and work with tight ends.

Pelini emphasized that Cotton will continue to work with the offensive line. "He has a lot of offensive line expertise, and we're going to use it."

Garrison will meet with the offensive line by himself on a more regular basis, Pelini said.

As for speculation that Cotton was being demoted, Pelini said, "That's ludicrous."

EDIT - also, moved this out of Rumorville due to confirmation.

I don't get it.......sounds like duties just to keep Barney on the staff :huh:

As long as the production from our run game doesn't drop off at all, then I have no problem with this. They seem to be downplaying the change as if it's not going to be significant. They tend to downplay just about everything that happens in the football program, so we will see if there is any significance to this. Fact is, whether you thought Barney was doing a good job or not, you couldn't argue with the results. We've had some areas to be fixed as well, pass blocking and penalties, but regardless we have consistently been a team capable of running the ball on just about everyone. Let's hope that doesn't change or we will all really be scratching our heads wondering what is holding this offensive line back from being "elite".

IMO this is a step in the right direction . . .

I agree. I understand the staff can't throw the guy under the bus. But here's what we can gather has happened...

-Cotton isn't carrying the OL coaching role anymore, even in part. "But he'll still work with them."

-Cotton is working with the TEs. Along with the new staff assistant hired. Might the new guy be on the track for promotion?

-Cotton now has more "big picture" responsibilities, continuing as Asst Head Coach and adding Run Game Coordinator and "helping out" with pass game stuff.

It seems his roles are becoming more and more nebulous and his specific position group coaching ties are now all shared duties. This seems like a nod to Cotton's overall value on the staff (perhaps his administrative abilities?) while minimizing his actual coaching duties.

• Fire 2