BIG teams agree not to play anymore FCS schools

I put it on my status update...it's great to see and great for the conference. Love the stance. The only problem is...what happens when a team backs out and a school has to find a team to play at the last minute? Could be hard to find a FBS team with an open slot in their schedule.

• Fire 2

I put it on my status update...it's great to see and great for the conference. Love the stance. The only problem is...what happens when a team backs out and a school has to find a team to play at the last minute? Could be hard to find a FBS team with an open slot in their schedule.

If that was to happen a team might have to trade the one or two precious bye weeks they have during conference play to fill that gap.

If that was to happen a team might have to trade the one or two precious bye weeks they have during conference play to fill that gap.

Yeah, true, but then you have to find the team that *has* the bye week, then you have to convince them to want to play you, and work out contractual agreements. I don't envy Nebraska and most of the B1G teams that do scheduling. By eliminating the FCS schools, the 'paycheck to play you' schools just went out the window. It's great for fans, but not-so-great when a team (i.e. Miami) bails and you have to find a quick fix.

Yeah, true, but then you have to find the team that *has* the bye week, then you have to convince them to want to play you, and work out contractual agreements. I don't envy Nebraska and most of the B1G teams that do scheduling. By eliminating the FCS schools, the 'paycheck to play you' schools just went out the window. It's great for fans, but not-so-great when a team (i.e. Miami) bails and you have to find a quick fix.

There's also a chance that if a team bailed, that it could be a blessing in disguise. Especially if it is coming off a bad loss, or if a key player (i.e. the starting QB) got dinged up and needs a week to heal up.

Boy it sure is going to be tough sledding for a Big Ten team to win 9 conference games and no FCS scheduled games. If a Big Ten team makes it to the final ranking in the top 3, there will be no debating they absolutely earned it.

You'd think so...but there are still plenty of awful FBS teams out there. But with today's world of parity, the team you schedule 6 years from now that is good/bad could be the exact opposite when you play them.