Playstation 4 incoming!

If the prices are what they are rumored at, I wont be getting one anytime soon.

you can't get a gaming computer for $429/$529.

Pretty close actually. Unless you are dead set on running max specs. Games on PC have such a range of what they will run on its nuts. My brother had no problems running Skyrim on a 8800GTS. Sure it didn't look as nice as mine, but actually pretty comparable to current gen consoles,

i wonder if online gaming will still be free.

No, Sony announced they're going pay-to-play, a la XBox Live.

Also, Sony won't give a straight answer on whether or not the PS4 will run used games. So for the used-game crowd, you may want to watch this.

And finally, Sony also confirmed that all of your PSN purchases and games will not port over to the PS4. Instead, you'll have to buy your PSX, PS2, and PS3 games again and play them via Sony's online streaming service.

Just when you think Sony couldn't dig themselves a deeper hole...at least there's PC gaming.

i wonder if online gaming will still be free.

No, Sony announced they're going pay-to-play, a la XBox Live.

Also, Sony won't give a straight answer on whether or not the PS4 will run used games. So for the used-game crowd, you may want to watch this.

And finally, Sony also confirmed that all of your PSN purchases and games will not port over to the PS4. Instead, you'll have to buy your PSX, PS2, and PS3 games again and play them via Sony's online streaming service.

Just when you think Sony couldn't dig themselves a deeper hole...at least there's PC gaming.

Backwards compatibility is over rated. I had a first gen PS3 that had the PS2 hardware in it. I played nothing from my back catalog on it. Ever.

Used games are going to go away, just get used to the idea. They have never really existed on PC, and as almost all PC games are bought via services like Steam, Origin and Impulse/Gamestop app, PC gamers already do not expect to have a used market. Xbox wont run used games either, GameStop's stock took a massive crap when that info came out.

Right now, I don't see a point in buying a new console. My gaming PC will remain my choice unless something really ground breaking happens.

Backwards compatibility is over rated. I had a first gen PS3 that had the PS2 hardware in it. I played nothing from my back catalog on it. Ever.

Ahhh, so your individual playing habits are the gold standard for the entirety of the video-game playing populous...got it, thanks for that.

Considering I still play XBox and PSX/PS2 games on my respective current-gen systems, let me also make a sweeping and inaccurate generalization based on my own playing habits and say that everyone uses backwards compatibility to save on shelf space because they own multiple systems. :-|

---

One bright spot in all of this, I suppose, is that the ROMs/Warez scenes are going to significantly pick up steam for 360 and PS3 games when next-gen hits.

Ahhh, so your individual playing habits are the gold standard for the entirety of the video-game playing populous...got it, thanks for that.

Considering I still play XBox and PSX/PS2 games on my respective current-gen systems, let me also make a sweeping and inaccurate generalization based on my own playing habits and say that everyone uses backwards compatibility to save on shelf space because they own multiple systems. :-|

---

One bright spot in all of this, I suppose, is that the ROMs/Warez scenes are going to significantly pick up steam for 360 and PS3 games when next-gen hits.

Sony's data backed it up. Everything you play on a PS3 gets told to Sony. You are in the small minority. Regarding the PS3 not losing compatibility.

http://kotaku.com/5340337/sony-explain-why-the-ps3-slim-has-no-backwards-compatibility

Its the standard for every new console release for the most part.

The article seems flawed. Saying that no one or few bought PS2 games 2-3 years after production run of the first PS3's is ridiculous. What was the failure rate on the old Fat PS3 anyway, 50% after 2 years? Right around the time Modern Warfare was released I believe. Releasing the Slim without backwards compatibitly surely scewed this number. I played very few PS2 games on my original Fat system but it was a nice feature and at $60 a game to replace my now PS3 games that I still play on top of another $499 or $599, its starting to add up. Much like having to replace my Fat system after it overheated due to faulty production. $399 + $399 (replacement)

• Fire 1

The article seems flawed. Saying that no one or few bought PS2 games 2-3 years after production run of the first PS3's is ridiculous. What was the failure rate on the old Fat PS3 anyway, 50% after 2 years? Right around the time Modern Warfare was released I believe. Releasing the Slim without backwards compatibitly surely scewed this number. I played very few PS2 games on my original Fat system but it was a nice feature and at $60 a game to replace my now PS3 games that I still play on top of another $499 or $599, its starting to add up. Much like having to replace my Fat system after it overheated due to faulty production. $399 + $399 (replacement)

This. My PS3 fat hasn't given me the YLOD (*knock on wood*), but considering how PSX and PS2 game purchases are some of the best things selling in the PSN store, the numbers Sony gave for their excuse to cut BC just don't add up unless you're a Sony Fanboi that accepts their manure, in spite of it not passing the smell test.

And frankly, this wasn't a cost-savings move--the MGS 4 bundle (the last one with BC), had software-based BC for 99% of the PSX/PS2 titles. That BC software was already developed and costs nothing for Sony to put out there. This was a pure cash grab from an incompetent company (as we've seen in their PS4 non-console, console announcement) that is barely treading water while the sharks circle up around them.

No amount of lead time by being first to market is going to cover these glaring flaws and oversights, especially when it comes to the PSN content.

• Fire 1