Playstation 4 incoming!

The article seems flawed. Saying that no one or few bought PS2 games 2-3 years after production run of the first PS3's is ridiculous. What was the failure rate on the old Fat PS3 anyway, 50% after 2 years? Right around the time Modern Warfare was released I believe. Releasing the Slim without backwards compatibitly surely scewed this number. I played very few PS2 games on my original Fat system but it was a nice feature and at $60 a game to replace my now PS3 games that I still play on top of another $499 or $599, its starting to add up. Much like having to replace my Fat system after it overheated due to faulty production. $399 + $399 (replacement)

I read about all these over heating issues on the fat boy PS3's before I bought it. I decided to tear apart mine the day I got it, remove all the thermal compound they have (white pasty crap) and use Arctic Silver Thermal Compound. Needless to say, mine still works while many of my other friends have had to move to the Slim.

The article seems flawed. Saying that no one or few bought PS2 games 2-3 years after production run of the first PS3's is ridiculous. What was the failure rate on the old Fat PS3 anyway, 50% after 2 years? Right around the time Modern Warfare was released I believe. Releasing the Slim without backwards compatibitly surely scewed this number. I played very few PS2 games on my original Fat system but it was a nice feature and at $60 a game to replace my now PS3 games that I still play on top of another $499 or $599, its starting to add up. Much like having to replace my Fat system after it overheated due to faulty production. $399 + $399 (replacement)

I read about all these over heating issues on the fat boy PS3's before I bought it. I decided to tear apart mine the day I got it, remove all the thermal compound they have (white pasty crap) and use Arctic Silver Thermal Compound. Needless to say, mine still works while many of my other friends have had to move to the Slim.

Took mine apart several times Reflowed the solder and replaced the thermal compound too, but, the fix didn't last long. To bad, wish I could find something to do with these parts. The more I fixed it the shorter it lasted. Finally gave up and bought a Slim.

I can't tell if the gaming market has me really optimistic or really depressed.

Gaming for me reached it's zenith and it's most fun when Sony did. The Playstation and the Playstation2 were the two greatest and most forward-thinking consoles ever made, and while I loved my multiple PS3's, Sony lost all the ground they had over their competitors, and they continue to make poor decisions. However, Microsoft and Nintendo don't offer much more. Microsoft, while making better business decisions, has nothing but big fat dollar signs in their eyes at whatever (smart) cost, and the same goes for Nintendo.

Combine all these things with the rise of mobile gaming, cloud gaming and PC subscription services and everything just seems too disheveled and non-focused for me to invest much time into videogames anymore.

Took mine apart several times Reflowed the solder and replaced the thermal compound too, but, the fix didn't last long. To bad, wish I could find something to do with these parts. The more I fixed it the shorter it lasted. Finally gave up and bought a Slim.

Lol, I haven't resoldered anything, yet. Just replaced the compound. A buddy had to do the heat gun trick on the CPU and GPU. It lasted a couple more months, but he used a blow dryer, rather than a heat gun. He got tired of it and just bought a slim too lol.

the beauty of this is that ps3 used games will be a lot cheaper. i mostly buy games that are 2-3 years old anyway. they still impress me as if they were just released.

I haven't bought a new game since Black Ops 2. The only reason I got that, was because it was free lol. Thanks to Best Buy and their deal of doubling all trade-in values lol. Before that, was 2 years ago.

the beauty of this is that ps3 used games will be a lot cheaper. i mostly buy games that are 2-3 years old anyway. they still impress me as if they were just released.

I haven't bought a new game since Black Ops 2. The only reason I got that, was because it was free lol. Thanks to Best Buy and their deal of doubling all trade-in values lol. Before that, was 2 years ago.

unless you love online play, there is just no point to buying games at release.

In all seriousness, the PSN is sh#t. I have both consoles and if I want quality online play it is Xbox all the way. I have noticed the skill level on PSN is quite a bit lower than that on xbox, as well.

that really gets old hearing that Xbox live is quality online play and PSN isn't. I have had both consoles and as i agree there is a bit better competition on XBL but nothing to make a break a reason to pick it over the PS3. There is just fine competition on PS3, and it's free. I don't have to pay 50 bucks anymore to play something that should be free. Mixing that in with a blue-ray player, and a more user friendly desktop, PS3 was my choice. And PS4 will now have a step up being that it will be released before the Xbox.

You nailed it Blackshirt. PS3's BD puts it over the top, and if you have a 3D tv, well, that's just bonus, since the PS3 can play those also.

I watch my kid play CoD, and there are never any issues with game play. Must be Internet connection?

In all seriousness, the PSN is sh#t. I have both consoles and if I want quality online play it is Xbox all the way. I have noticed the skill level on PSN is quite a bit lower than that on xbox, as well.

that really gets old hearing that Xbox live is quality online play and PSN isn't. I have had both consoles and as i agree there is a bit better competition on XBL but nothing to make a break a reason to pick it over the PS3. There is just fine competition on PS3, and it's free. I don't have to pay 50 bucks anymore to play something that should be free. Mixing that in with a blue-ray player, and a more user friendly desktop, PS3 was my choice. And PS4 will now have a step up being that it will be released before the Xbox.

PSN has sh**ty servers. And you can find Live service cheap if you are willing to look. I bought a 12 month subscription for 35 bucks plus free shipping the other day. I can handle 3 dollars a month for better gameplay and the opportunity to get DLC first. And the peace of mind to know that my credit card info isnt going to get hacked and the service shut off for 6 weeks. That's nice.

I personally think the Xbox interface is more user friendly, especially if you take advantage of the kinect. The bluray player is nice, but I have surround sound system which I use that for.

And Microsoft is going to guarantee that they won't/can't get hacked? You just keep telling yourself that if it helps.

Why do people keep their credit card info on there anyway? No need to. Convenience I guess.

You nailed it Blackshirt. PS3's BD puts it over the top, and if you have a 3D tv, well, that's just bonus, since the PS3 can play those also.

I watch my kid play CoD, and there are never any issues with game play. Must be Internet connection?

I have a relatively high end internet connection. That's not the issue. It seems they have more server issues than my xbox. But obviously if you never have witnessed a problem there is no reason for you to believe there is one.

PSN has sh**ty servers. And you can find Live service cheap if you are willing to look. I bought a 12 month subscription for 35 bucks plus free shipping the other day. I can handle 3 dollars a month for better gameplay and the opportunity to get DLC first. And the peace of mind to know that my credit card info isnt going to get hacked and the service shut off for 6 weeks. That's nice.

I personally think the Xbox interface is more user friendly, especially if you take advantage of the kinect. The bluray player is nice, but I have surround sound system which I use that for.

And Microsoft is going to guarantee that they won't/can't get hacked? You just keep telling yourself that if it helps.

Why do people keep their credit card info on there anyway? No need to. Convenience I guess.

I dont believe that whole heartedly. But at least I know Microsoft is investing in ways to prevent it from happening to the extent of what happened to Playstation. There is no reason for a company that is technology based and has sensitive consumer information to get hacked as hard as they did.

I dont believe that whole heartedly. But at least I know Microsoft is investing in ways to prevent it from happening to the extent of what happened to Playstation. There is no reason for a company that is technology based and has sensitive consumer information to get hacked as hard as they did.

True. Problem is that anything or ANY company for that matter, can get hacked. Heck our govt hacks Iran all the time, and now China is hacking us. I guess the point is, no one is truly safe.

2-3 years after the PS3 launch, there were almost no games released for the PS2. Even a year later the only real releases were the annual sports/shooter rehashes that show up on every system. There is no sales tracking for used games, and used games are no benefit to anyone other than Gamestop. Anything not already in development for the last year or more for the PS3, won't be made for the PS3. And game that has started development in the last six months wwill be next gen focused. Maybe they make a backward port, but it will be doubtful in many cases.

This is not unique to Sony, they actually were more last gen friendly than either xbox or Nintendo.