Playstation 4 incoming!

Have a PS3, but anymore my PC is my machine of choice. I don't know if any of the next gen consoles are something I'll get. Unless there is something absolutely groundbreaking, I'm probably gonna pass.

Have to agree here. I've had 2 xbox 360's and 2 PS3's. Both failed after 2 years. My PC has never failed and I can upgrade the parts. The new PS4 would have too be truely ground breaking and cheap, under $400 to even think about a new console. Oh yeah, my computers backwards compatiable, to a degree.

In all seriousness, the PSN is sh#t. I have both consoles and if I want quality online play it is Xbox all the way. I have noticed the skill level on PSN is quite a bit lower than that on xbox, as well.

that really gets old hearing that Xbox live is quality online play and PSN isn't. I have had both consoles and as i agree there is a bit better competition on XBL but nothing to make a break a reason to pick it over the PS3. There is just fine competition on PS3, and it's free. I don't have to pay 50 bucks anymore to play something that should be free. Mixing that in with a blue-ray player, and a more user friendly desktop, PS3 was my choice. And PS4 will now have a step up being that it will be released before the Xbox.

Video games have been dying pretty quickly since Activision became the major player and dlc became mandatory to get the full experience. I'm out.

This makes no sense. Games gave not been dying. Numbers are deceptive as the group that tracks sales does not track any form of online purchases. Nothing from xboxlive, PSN or Steam gets counted. I have not bought a disc in a couple years, but I have bought a ton of games as a download.

No compatibility with the PS3???

Why the f#*k not?

Not exactly big news. They haven't done backwards compatibility in years.

Problem is, they're going to have day-one PS3 titles available for download on their network service.

So it's news, for the wrong reason. It was a bulls**t move when they took Backwards Compatibility out of the PS3, and it's a bulls**t move now.

Have a PS3, but anymore my PC is my machine of choice. I don't know if any of the next gen consoles are something I'll get. Unless there is something absolutely groundbreaking, I'm probably gonna pass.

Have to agree here. I've had 2 xbox 360's and 2 PS3's. Both failed after 2 years. My PC has never failed and I can upgrade the parts. The new PS4 would have too be truely ground breaking and cheap, under $400 to even think about a new console. Oh yeah, my computers backwards compatiable, to a degree.

Agreed. Especially since titles that were traditionally released only for consoles are coming out on PC in droves.

Since both consoles have very comparable specs, unless something completely ground-breaking (good or bad) comes out about these new consoles, I'll probably just pick up the next XBox, upgrade the PC, and be done with it.

In all seriousness, the PSN is sh#t. I have both consoles and if I want quality online play it is Xbox all the way. I have noticed the skill level on PSN is quite a bit lower than that on xbox, as well.

that really gets old hearing that Xbox live is quality online play and PSN isn't. I have had both consoles and as i agree there is a bit better competition on XBL but nothing to make a break a reason to pick it over the PS3. There is just fine competition on PS3, and it's free. I don't have to pay 50 bucks anymore to play something that should be free. Mixing that in with a blue-ray player, and a more user friendly desktop, PS3 was my choice. And PS4 will now have a step up being that it will be released before the Xbox.

Joystiq already has an article up saying Sony will be implementing their own paid online service for the PS4 that is required for online play.

And as someone that owns both consoles as well, to say that PSN is better than XBL in any way is dishonest at best. And if PSN is the superior service, why is Sony scuttling it to implement an XBL-style paid service for the PS4?

Kotaku article

---

Also from the article, $425 and $525 for the base and improved bundles for the PS3 at launch, you can chat and surf the PSN Store (or whatever their new pay service will be called) from your phone, and supposedly a 250GB HD for launch.

Someone on NeoGAF had a nasty rumor that the HD is going to be proprietary, though, so no more buying your own to slap in there. Hope this isn't the case. :(

Also, system specs for both the new PS4 and XBox are pretty much the same, with the XBox having a significantly faster processor with more cores, but the PS4 has faster RAM (DDR 5 vs 3) and will be using a Radeon 7000-series GPU to the XBox's 6000-series Radeon GPU.

If true, then the consoles are so similar, there shouldn't be pronounced differences between the different console versions of 3rd party titles like there was with the XBox 360 and PS3, and it will come down to console exclusives and original content.

Also, a better image of the PS4 controller with the integrated Move functionality active:

ps4prototype.jpg

PSN has sh**ty servers. And you can find Live service cheap if you are willing to look. I bought a 12 month subscription for 35 bucks plus free shipping the other day. I can handle 3 dollars a month for better gameplay and the opportunity to get DLC first. And the peace of mind to know that my credit card info isnt going to get hacked and the service shut off for 6 weeks. That's nice.

I personally think the Xbox interface is more user friendly, especially if you take advantage of the kinect. The bluray player is nice, but I have surround sound system which I use that for.