Playstation 4 incoming!

the beauty of this is that ps3 used games will be a lot cheaper. i mostly buy games that are 2-3 years old anyway. they still impress me as if they were just released.

I haven't bought a new game since Black Ops 2. The only reason I got that, was because it was free lol. Thanks to Best Buy and their deal of doubling all trade-in values lol. Before that, was 2 years ago.

unless you love online play, there is just no point to buying games at release.

That's all I really do, unless its football or GT5.

Matthew any link where Sony confirmed it was pay to play? I've looked and have seen nothing saying it is.

Kotaku.com had it as part of their run-up to the PS4 reveal. I'll see if I can find the link.

A buddy of mine who watched this, stated they were not going to have a pay to play deal, unless you wanted to be part of the Plus plan, where you would get bonuses and cheaper games/add-ons. This is hear-say, but he did watch it and told me they weren't charging like XBox.

I believe what your buddy described to you is the current PlayStation Plus plan that is already available for the PS3, not anything for the PS4.

What's funny/sad is that Sony is running a 'buy 12 months get 3 free" deal on PlayStationPlus accounts, right up to the PS4 announcement...and then Sony said PSN purchases won't transfer over. Pure moneygrubbing at its finest.

In all seriousness, the PSN is sh#t. I have both consoles and if I want quality online play it is Xbox all the way. I have noticed the skill level on PSN is quite a bit lower than that on xbox, as well.

that really gets old hearing that Xbox live is quality online play and PSN isn't. I have had both consoles and as i agree there is a bit better competition on XBL but nothing to make a break a reason to pick it over the PS3. There is just fine competition on PS3, and it's free. I don't have to pay 50 bucks anymore to play something that should be free. Mixing that in with a blue-ray player, and a more user friendly desktop, PS3 was my choice. And PS4 will now have a step up being that it will be released before the Xbox.

You nailed it Blackshirt. PS3's BD puts it over the top, and if you have a 3D tv, well, that's just bonus, since the PS3 can play those also.

I watch my kid play CoD, and there are never any issues with game play. Must be Internet connection?

Except that the PS3 Blu-Ray player is now inferior to a number of stand-alone models, and the 'superior' PS3 'Fat' systems couldn't even bitstream DTS-HD codecs.

As for online...no, PSN just plain sucks. Lack of features, constant drop/lag in popular games, and each game having its own individual and scattered hosted solution is decidedly inferior to the XBL setup, EA games withstanding on either console, mind you. And it's hardly my internet, considering I'm running Verizon FiOS 75/35 with sub 15ms ping to most continental US servers that I can test off of, and my consoles are in my DMZ.

It seems that PSN is a prime example of "you get what you pay for".

• 1 month later...

Every new piece of info that comes out seems to favor the PS4 over the next Xbox.

The 'always on' DRM is essentially confirmed thanks to a MS dev's twitter rant.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/05/microsoft-creative-director-on-always-online-deal-with-it

Added with the news of a 3 min timer for a connection break, before games flat out shut down.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/04/more-details-on-always-online-xbox-revealed

"If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time -- currently three minutes, if I remember correctly -- the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

And a mandatory Kinnect which makes this little gem kinda scary.

http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation

The technology, briefly described, is a content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed to consuming devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes and digital displays, with an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content.

Someone at MS clearly does not 'get' core gamers.

• 1 month later...

I love all the hype surrounding the playstation 4, and yet we still haven't really seen what it can do. Playstation = epic fail.

I love all the hype thats going for the Man of Steel but yet I haven't seen that movie yet....does it mean that movie is an epic fail too haha

And BTW they did show off several games during the PS4 conference back in February so they did actually show us what it can do, we just don't know what other features it'll have.

Every new piece of info that comes out seems to favor the PS4 over the next Xbox.

The 'always on' DRM is essentially confirmed thanks to a MS dev's twitter rant.

http://www.ign.com/a...ne-deal-with-it

Added with the news of a 3 min timer for a connection break, before games flat out shut down.

http://www.ign.com/a...e-xbox-revealed

"If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time -- currently three minutes, if I remember correctly -- the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

And a mandatory Kinnect which makes this little gem kinda scary.

http://kotaku.com/59...cense-violation

The technology, briefly described, is a content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed to consuming devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes and digital displays, with an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content.

Someone at MS clearly does not 'get' core gamers.

Huh. I love how you're completely overlooking that Sony is launching the PS4 with their own version of the Kinect (the EyeToy) bundled in as well.

And were you even going to address the DRM and used game restrictions that the PS4 has?

You do realize that this always-on DRM and used game restriction issues are coming from the publishers and developers, and not Sony and Microsoft themselves, yes? Both consoles will have online DRM, and both consoles will restrict used-game sales in some capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, and out of the gate, Gran Turismo 6 on the PS3 looks good, but underwhelming. Wonder how much better it would be on the PS4...

...and would you look at that, an oblong, two-tone parallelogram for the PS4 console. It's as if Sony set out saying 'hey, we can out-ass the design of the XBox One'.

k-bigpic.jpg

Games are looking good though. Interesting that Final Fantasy XIV is going out on both the PS3 and PS4...and Kingdom Hearts 4 on the PS4? Hopefully they'll both be better than their prior iterations.

Oh, and would you look at that? The PS4 comes bundled with a mandatory Kinect EyeToy. But just like Kinect, you can shut this one off too...though it needs to stay plugged in.

original.jpg

Oh, and some of the best quotes on Kotaku about Sony's XBox One PlayStation 4 reveal:

"Oh Sony, who don't you rip off nowadays."

"Just Xbox One in Italics."

"Look at it. Really look at it...

IT'S THE XBOX ONE ON ITS SIDE!"

"You have to be f***ing kidding me... GOD DAMMIT SONY!"

And the quote that I'm sure will be summing up the Sony fanboi retorts here and elsewhere re: console appearance:

"Before PS4 revealing: XBOX ONE IS SO F'ING HIDEOUS!!1!!1

After PS4 revealing: Of course it's a black box! What did people expect? The look of the system doesn't matter."