Big picture program expectations

HANC

I know that throughout the years, that this has been discussed on the board, but I am want to re-visit it a little. This is a question, that will probably spark a debate, but I am curious to see what HB members think.

I was visiting with an "older" uncle from Oklahoma City last night, and he is a long time Husker fan. We talked about everything...football, basketball, baseball, on and on and on...

When it came to basketball, we talked about "What was enough to keep Nebraska fans happy". He didn't think that Nebraska would ever be a national powerhouse in basketball...EVER.

I didn't disagree with him, but did say the the BTN is helping and that they promote the new arena like it is the second coming...which will help recruiting, along with a young, high energy, quirky coach. I told him that I thought that we may not be a powerhouse, but I thought we could be "relevant" fairly soon.

What will it take to make Husker fans happy? NCAA tourney every year, be competitive within the Big 10, with a tourney appearance 2 out of every 3 years, be competitive in conference and make the dance 1 in every 3 years, with occassional 'above average' run (top 20 appearance)...

Interested in what will make you happy with our program.

Once Miles gets it going in a couple years, I'll be happy with finishing 4th-8th in conference most years, every once in awhile finishing a little worse, maybe a little better. Never be completely eliminated from the bubble until the last few games of the season. Always go into the conference tourney thinking you have a chance at a couple wins. It's hard for me to say make the tourney every X amount of years when I barely remember the last time they went.

This is an interesting topic that shows how pitiful basketball has been, because of my following statement.

If we can win a NCAA tournament game in the next 5 years, I will be (Somewhat)happy.

This team is a 6 seed in the B1G/ make the tourney once every 2-3 years type I assume.

That all being said.. That can all change if if Miles can get big time recruits out here. I highly doubt that happens but depending on how next year goes, i think we make the tourney in 2015-2016.

and maybe make a little run towards the tourney in 2014-2015.

The state of this program is 10 times better now than it was 2 years ago: New Arena, new practice facility, better basketball conference, better coach.

that all being said, programs arent built over night. No reason to think we cant get a few of Miles guys in here and make a run.. win a game or two.

I wil be happy with 3-4 tourney wins over the next 5-10 years.

The big question is do we get a few guys who will be here for 4 years and build/grow together... or try and go after a few 1-and-dones?

I like what Miles is doing.. build the program and get athletic guys in.

I truly hope that this team starts to play really well and the new Arena is packed... Try and get the Basketball a little piece of the fan support the Football team gets.

Webster could be that player that changes Husker BB. I read somewhere that if he played in the US, he would be a 5 star player. We have the facilities, arena, coach and now we just need to start winning some games. Big name players want to win & go to the NBA!

Ya. I heard the same thing, well close to the same thing: He would be a top 30 player if he played in the USA.

There is a HUGE difference in the answer I would give to this question 3-5 years ago compared to now.

First off, let me say that the #1 goal of ANY program is championships.

That should be the goal of absolutely every sports program at every school.

Now, that #1 goal is different than the short term expectations. My short and medium term expectations are continual improvement towards the #1 goal. The last 2-3 years have completely changed our ability to move in that direction. The commitment that the athletic department has put into basketball compared to before is so amazing that you really can't even fathom it's the same program. On top of that, 3 years ago, I was able to maybe see 3-4 games on TV living in western Nebraska. It literally stunk and made it almost impossible to follow the team and become a bigger fan. NOW, with the Big Ten Network, I have been able to see most games. It's awesome and I am growing more and more of a fan. The growing ability of the fans to follow the team will grow support and improve our ability to bring in good talent.

On top of all of that, I am very excited about Coach Miles. I think he is the perfect guy for the job.

Thanks.... I appreciate the input... I fall somewhere around where almost all of you guys are. It sounds as if most of the guys are on the same page. I would love to enter each season expecting a 4th-6th finish in the Big 10 (and that type of finish will "usually" land you a spot in the NCAA.)

And, on a down year, at least make a run deep into the NIT.

I don't think that this is too unrealistic to expect within the next 2-3 years.

I am with Lyons, I see contribution from both transfers, Biggs & Webster to join Shields, Rivers & Gallegos. I think we run out of gas at the end of games and next year, we will have more depth. We just need more bulk to rebound and score in the post. If it is true that the scout team beats up on the current starters, it would not be a surprise to be in the dance next year. Regardless, the NIT is not a bad step for a team that has not played in the post season for quite awhile.

I am with Lyons, I see contribution from both transfers, Biggs & Webster to join Shields, Rivers & Gallegos. I think we run out of gas at the end of games and next year, we will have more depth. We just need more bulk to rebound and score in the post. If it is true that the scout team beats up on the current starters, it would not be a surprise to be in the dance next year. Regardless, the NIT is not a bad step for a team that has not played in the post season for quite awhile.

I am not disagreeing at all......just making a statement regarding the "scout" team. I admit that I do not follow the BB recruiting nearly as close as football or pretend to know much, if at all about our depth...but, I do know that for 2 years, under Doc, everyone kept saying that we had 5 freshmen who could beat our starters and that we were only 2 years away.

I am sure this was the truth, and it probably has a lot to do with guys leaving the program (???), but it seems like the "scout team" myth has been used a lot lately, wtih no results.

Once again, I am not debating your comment, just making statement about the past years (yes, under an old coach.)

I am not disagreeing at all......just making a statement regarding the "scout" team. I admit that I do not follow the BB recruiting nearly as close as football or pretend to know much, if at all about our depth...but, I do know that for 2 years, under Doc, everyone kept saying that we had 5 freshmen who could beat our starters and that we were only 2 years away.

I am sure this was the truth, and it probably has a lot to do with guys leaving the program (???), but it seems like the "scout team" myth has been used a lot lately, wtih no results.

Once again, I am not debating your comment, just making statement about the past years (yes, under an old coach.)

Considering that the scout is not freshman and on paper are better athletes than what's on the floor, I tend to believe. But I have no proof other than seeing Ptichford play at the Y. Can not wait to see him on the floor next year!