Big picture program expectations

HANC

I am with Lyons, I see contribution from both transfers, Biggs & Webster to join Shields, Rivers & Gallegos. I think we run out of gas at the end of games and next year, we will have more depth. We just need more bulk to rebound and score in the post. If it is true that the scout team beats up on the current starters, it would not be a surprise to be in the dance next year. Regardless, the NIT is not a bad step for a team that has not played in the post season for quite awhile.

I am not disagreeing at all......just making a statement regarding the "scout" team. I admit that I do not follow the BB recruiting nearly as close as football or pretend to know much, if at all about our depth...but, I do know that for 2 years, under Doc, everyone kept saying that we had 5 freshmen who could beat our starters and that we were only 2 years away.

I am sure this was the truth, and it probably has a lot to do with guys leaving the program (???), but it seems like the "scout team" myth has been used a lot lately, wtih no results.

Once again, I am not debating your comment, just making statement about the past years (yes, under an old coach.)

Considering that the scout is not freshman and on paper are better athletes than what's on the floor, I tend to believe. But I have no proof other than seeing Ptichford play at the Y. Can not wait to see him on the floor next year!

Thank you for the information...like I said, I don't claim to know much about it..... my "freshman" reference was directly aimed at the Doc era, when I believe that he brought in 4-5 fresh and the discussion did revolve around that group that he "redshirted". Not this year's "scout" team.

I am with Lyons, I see contribution from both transfers, Biggs & Webster to join Shields, Rivers & Gallegos. I think we run out of gas at the end of games and next year, we will have more depth. We just need more bulk to rebound and score in the post. If it is true that the scout team beats up on the current starters, it would not be a surprise to be in the dance next year. Regardless, the NIT is not a bad step for a team that has not played in the post season for quite awhile.

I am not disagreeing at all......just making a statement regarding the "scout" team. I admit that I do not follow the BB recruiting nearly as close as football or pretend to know much, if at all about our depth...but, I do know that for 2 years, under Doc, everyone kept saying that we had 5 freshmen who could beat our starters and that we were only 2 years away.

I am sure this was the truth, and it probably has a lot to do with guys leaving the program (???), but it seems like the "scout team" myth has been used a lot lately, wtih no results.

Once again, I am not debating your comment, just making statement about the past years (yes, under an old coach.)

Considering that the scout is not freshman and on paper are better athletes than what's on the floor, I tend to believe. But I have no proof other than seeing Ptichford play at the Y. Can not wait to see him on the floor next year!

Thank you for the information...like I said, I don't claim to know much about it..... my "freshman" reference was directly aimed at the Doc era, when I believe that he brought in 4-5 fresh and the discussion did revolve around that group that he "redshirted". Not this year's "scout" team.

Most of what I know is what I read and get from the posters. Livin in Lincoln, I get a lot of senseless rumors. Everyone has a friend at the Univ, that knows something. In fact, I have relation in the athletic dept. and its always closed lips so I don't ask!

I would love to say we could be in the top half of the B1G but I'm not sure it'll happen that soon. We were rarely (if ever) in the top half of the Big XII which - even with a lot of firepower at the top in KU, UT and perhaps another team or two from time to time - was no where near as deep as the B1G is now.

There are currently five B1G teams ranked in the Top 25 and Illinois and Minnesota have both been ranked at different times this year which means you basically have to be a Top 25 team to get to the top half of the B1G. I like Miles and I think we will get better but I'm afraid that is a lot higher mountain to climb than some are giving it credit for.

Our biggest problem is there are too many competitive D-1 schools out there thus there are a lot of places top recruits can go that have a lot more basketball tradition and are a lot closer to home than Lincoln, NE.

I would expect us to be a fringe NCAA team - perhaps every 3-4 years - but win some games in the NIT. Hopefully some sort of postseason tournament most years.

• Fire 1

I would love to say we could be in the top half of the B1G but I'm not sure it'll happen that soon. We were rarely (if ever) in the top half of the Big XII which - even with a lot of firepower at the top in KU, UT and perhaps another team or two from time to time - was no where near as deep as the B1G is now.

There are currently five B1G teams ranked in the Top 25 and Illinois and Minnesota have both been ranked at different times this year which means you basically have to be a Top 25 team to get to the top half of the B1G. I like Miles and I think we will get better but I'm afraid that is a lot higher mountain to climb than some are giving it credit for.

Our biggest problem is there are too many competitive D-1 schools out there thus there are a lot of places top recruits can go that have a lot more basketball tradition and are a lot closer to home than Lincoln, NE.

I would expect us to be a fringe NCAA team - perhaps every 3-4 years - but win some games in the NIT. Hopefully some sort of postseason tournament most years.

There is no reason for what you mention above not to happen in the future. Only problem is with all the money we are pumping into the program I think fans and boosters will want/expect more than that. OSU, IU, MSU, UM will always be ahead of us unless something crazy happens. The addition of Maryland will open up more recruiting grounds. If Nebraska can finish anywhere from 5th-8th every year in the league we will be a bubble team or highly seeded NIT team. This would be good for our program and if we do this consistently it could open the door for some big time recruits that see us as being a player or two away from something special.

There is no reason for what you mention above not to happen in the future. Only problem is with all the money we are pumping into the program I think fans and boosters will want/expect more than that. OSU, IU, MSU, UM will always be ahead of us unless something crazy happens. The addition of Maryland will open up more recruiting grounds. If Nebraska can finish anywhere from 5th-8th every year in the league we will be a bubble team or highly seeded NIT team. This would be good for our program and if we do this consistently it could open the door for some big time recruits that see us as being a player or two away from something special.

I agree. But that will be a 10-15 year process, not a 2-3 year process. And when you start to go out that far, there are a lot of other things that could happen, not the least of which is another coaching change - for whatever reason, good or bad.

I agree. But that will be a 10-15 year process, not a 2-3 year process. And when you start to go out that far, there are a lot of other things that could happen, not the least of which is another coaching change - for whatever reason, good or bad.

Agreed that its more of a long term process than an overnight fix. I just hope they keep Miles around and give him a chance. I think he is the right man for the job right now. If he can build a winner the fan support will be there. Nebraska fans are ready for a winning basketball team.

Agreed that its more of a long term process than an overnight fix. I just hope they keep Miles around and give him a chance. I think he is the right man for the job right now. If he can build a winner the fan support will be there. Nebraska fans are ready for a winning basketball team.

I'm not so worried about keeping him around that long as I am about him leaving after he starts to get us headed in the right direction.

I hope we give this coach some time. If he can recruit, and I hear he can, than maybe a couple of years, before we can start some post season tourneys. Even if its the NIT, that will be a good start, to get the brand out there. Bob D kind of made us forget about BB, with his success. We did have NCAA type teams in the 60's, but the rule that only Conference champs

[Kansas] could participate, really hurt. Tom B and Stu L and company, could have made deep runs in the tourney, and brought a lot of attention to the program. They were that good.

I would like to see us in the top half year in and year out of the B1G, and at least have a chance of an invite, to the big dance, most years.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

I hope we give this coach some time. If he can recruit, and I hear he can, than maybe a couple of years, before we can start some post season tourneys. Even if its the NIT, that will be a good start, to get the brand out there. Bob D kind of made us forget about BB, with his success. We did have NCAA type teams in the 60's, but the rule that only Conference champs

[Kansas] could participate, really hurt. Tom B and Stu L and company, could have made deep runs in the tourney, and brought a lot of attention to the program. They were that good.

I would like to see us in the top half year in and year out of the B1G, and at least have a chance of an invite, to the big dance, most years.

GBR!!!

Hmm, those are names that I have not heard for long time. Tom Baack and Stuart Lantz. I sometimes wonder about some of the guy’s names I always heard back in the day. Chuck Jura, Leroy Chalk, Jerry Fort, Marvin Stewart, Nate Branch and Tom Scantlebury. OK, now I am aging myself.

GBR!!!

Hmm, those are names that I have not heard for long time. Tom Baack and Stuart Lantz. I sometimes wonder about some of the guy’s names I always heard back in the day. Chuck Jura, Leroy Chalk, Jerry Fort, Marvin Stewart, Nate Branch and Tom Scantlebury. OK, now I am aging myself.

Jerry Fort, that was the other name that I couldn't remember. Wasn't he the center on the Ton B and Stu L teams?

GBR!!!

GBR!!!

Jerry Fort, that was the other name that I couldn't remember. Wasn't he the center on the Ton B and Stu L teams?

GBR!!!

No, he was a prolific scoring guard. Once pumped in something like 43 or 44 in a game............