Carl's FAU stadium getting named after a prison

NUance

Florida Atlantic close to stadium naming rights deal with prison company

By Frank Schwab | Dr. Saturday – 9 hours ago

According to a report from fauowlaccess.com, Florida Atlantic is close to a deal with the GEO Group to put the company's name on its stadium for $5 million. If you don't know what GEO Group specializes in, that might be a good sign. It's the self proclaimed, "world's leading provider of correctional, detention, and community reentry services." Naming a stadium after a prison company might go down as the strangest stadium naming deal ever, although not the most unfortunate (Enron Field might forever win that award).

LINK

A prison is buying the naming rights for $5 million? THis is just too weird. :facepalm:

• Fire 1

I have little knowledge on the private prison industry, but my initial guess is that it's not an overly competitive industry that would necessitate such a move. I would think the "world-leading provider" of correctional facilities would have a safe enough place in the industry that it wouldn't have to advertise its name to persuade a government official, who also happens to be a random college football fan attending/watching an FAU game, to contract GEO for its facility construction as opposed to other competitors in the industry.

I could be wrong though and this could end up being a brilliant business move. Sure is strange no matter how you look at it.

i agree with sir alexander henery. it is like oppd sponsoring a field, which i believe they do advertise quite a bit. they have a natural monopoly, why do they need the advertising? or their business comes from being the lowest bidder, which again does not require advertising. if anything, they are spending money when they could be providing savings.

i agree with sir alexander henery. it is like oppd sponsoring a field, which i believe they do advertise quite a bit. they have a natural monopoly, why do they need the advertising? or their business comes from being the lowest bidder, which again does not require advertising. if anything, they are spending money when they could be providing savings.

Lance Armstrong presented by the US mail service

Lance Armstrong presented by the US mail service

yeah, but they do have competition with fedex and ups. besides, you are going to want free shipping for all those drugs.

• 2 weeks later...