Texas

Ocean

Hey guys,

This is my first thread, so excuse me if I've done anything outside of the norm. I've been hitting up husker message boards and espn and what not for quite some time and I always hear bad things about Texas: conference killer, selfish, egocentric, etc. I live in Texas and for the most part the only thing I really have seen or heard that may be (borderline, imo) taboo is their Longhorn network on espn. Now I'm not old enough to know about anything that occurred during the merger of the Texas schools and the Big8 of the 90's. I've tried searching around on the boards and such to find some credence as to why so many Nebraska fans hate Texas a part from the terrible win/loss record against them over the last several meetings. I'm going to continue to search for some stuff, but i was wondering if any of you all had some links or some experiences that you could share to help me out. Now I don't mean to turn this into one big Texas bash, I'm just curious as to the history of the Nebraska disdain for them.

I mean I see a lot of douche-baggery in a lot of big time programs that aren't isolated specifically in Austin. I was looking for more clear cut examples because they "they are douchebages" and "we are Texas. Give us everything" is about all I ever see when searching for stuff. Do you guys have any, like, examples of them being douchey and such? I don't necessarily need direct links to any of it I'm just looking for a little bit more substance.

zJoFwXp.jpg

Oh come on now. Those Whorns fans are just really, really nice fellows. And very friendly. :lol:

Sad really, but this is basically what a lot of us in central Texas identify Austin as being these days. It's not only tailgating either haha

Read the article in the first two posts HERE

Read this opinion piece HERE

And if you want to find out how much Texas is loved try asking an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. You'll get an earful.

EDIT - here's some more, from Tom Osborne, talking to a Dallas paper about Texas' role in near-demise of the Big XII:

Q: If those six Big 12 schools, including Texas, had not been talking with the Pac-10, would you have pursued the Big Ten as aggressively as you did?

Osborne: I think one of the key elements - and I wasn't in the meeting - was when the Big 12 presidents met in June at the conference meetings, our chancellor Harvey Perlman posed a question. If both Missouri and Colorado leave the Big 12, would you guarantee that you stay together? There was no affirmative answer at that point. … We had no guarantee that even if we raised our hand and said, 'We were staying' there would still have been a Big 12. If we had turned the Big Ten down, we realized we weren't going to get another chance. We could have been in the same position of several other schools were of not knowing where they were going to land. We were attracted to the Big Ten. We felt it had some very intriguing possibilities for us. But above all we knew it was going to be stable. We couldn't get any absolute guarantee of what the Big 12 was going to do. So we made the move that made the most sense to us.

And another blurb, this time from Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott:

Scott also returns to his failed negotiations with Texas to create a Pac-16. He reiterates that he doesn't think the Longhorns chosen model will thrive.

To unlock the value, Scott needed both to expand and to centralize. So began the whirlwind flying around the country in a borrowed private jet, from Austin, Texas, to Norman, Okla., to Boulder, Colo., as Scott attempted to assemble a superconference with a TV footprint of 75 million homes. Scott says it was no secret the conference thought the University of Texas was a good fit for the Pac-10, academically and athletically. However, in Scott’s negotiations with UT president Bill Powers, it was clear Texas was not committed to the idea of sharing revenue equally with 15 other schools. UT wanted to maintain the new Longhorn Network, all of whose profits flow to Texas. “I had a vision of a league-based, centralized brand, and Texas wanted to do their own thing,” Scott says. “It was about control. In the short term, Texas is successful enough that it might work going at it alone. But in the long run, I don’t think so.” In June 2010, Texas informed Scott it would not join the Pac-10.

• Fire 3

I'm in Texas right now on business, and I can't say I enjoy this state much at all. So many pricks, and the only remotely interesting thing I've seen is downtown San Antonio. I don't know what the hell they are so proud of, aside from a needlessly large state and a very short period of independence in the 1840s, but I never want to come back. At least it's warm, I don't even want to think about going back to the snow up north.

I don't really have anything against Texas per say. The Longhorns beat USC, so I appreciated that. Yes, it's true that the Horns had their way with the Huskers a number of times in the last 10 years, but, had the conference been more stable, I would have been perfectly fine with sticking around and getting some revenge on the Longhorns.

I don't really have anything against Texas per say. The Longhorns beat USC, so I appreciated that. Yes, it's true that the Horns had their way with the Huskers a number of times in the last 10 years, but, had the conference been more stable, I would have been perfectly fine with sticking around and getting some revenge on the Longhorns.

It was anything but "having their way with us". If anything, it was every bit of squeaking by-mostly occurring during during the worst 10 years this program has experienced in the last half century.

It was anything but "having their way with us". If anything, it was every bit of squeaking by-mostly occurring during during the worst 10 years this program has experienced in the last half century.

Yeah, this post doesn't sound insecure or bitter at all.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, this post doesn't sound insecure or bitter at all.

:rolleyes:

Me? Hell yes I'm bitter. And now I'm sitting here praying to the almighty that this stuff currently going on down there will turn out to be 10 times bigger/worse than what it is actually going to be. Damn my envy.