Is anyone concerned about LBs bulking up?

You need a balance of speed and power. I don't want to see a 215lb LB bouncing off a 245lb RB as much as watching a 235lb LB huffing and puffing trying to catch up to a 195lb RB.

You got to have a mix and balance of what kind of LBs are on your team. In a perfect world, its good to have experienced speedy LBs and bulky hard hitting LBs rotating in and out based on what the offensive is throwing at you.

Be careful what you wish for when wanting a speedy LB, Nothing ticks me off more than watching a fast LB overshoot the play because of his inexperience.

Nothing ticks me off more than watching a big LB not be able to lay a finger on the ball carrier because of his lack of speed.

You can coach up inexperienced, speedy LBs, but you can't teach slower, more knowledgable LBs how to run faster.

• Fire 4

You need a balance of speed and power. I don't want to see a 215lb LB bouncing off a 245lb RB as much as watching a 235lb LB huffing and puffing trying to catch up to a 195lb RB.

You got to have a mix and balance of what kind of LBs are on your team. In a perfect world, its good to have experienced speedy LBs and bulky hard hitting LBs rotating in and out based on what the offensive is throwing at you.

Be careful what you wish for when wanting a speedy LB, Nothing ticks me off more than watching a fast LB overshoot the play because of his inexperience.

Nothing ticks me off more than watching a big LB not be able to lay a finger on the ball carrier because of his lack of speed.

You can coach up inexperienced, speedy LBs, but you can't teach slower, more knowledgable LBs how to run faster.

^^ :thumbs

Some guys add wt. and carry it well others don't, it's as simple as that. Jay Foreman came into NU at about 195 and left at about 245 it didn't hurt him. Cam Meridith IMO got to big. I know they said 265 but he looked closer to 280 last year.

Some guys don't need the wt. Lavonte David didn't. Phil Ellis played MLB at about 225 and played quite well. Carlos Polk played MLB at 260.

I guess my point is don't worry about players getting fat and slow until you see it happen.

Nothing ticks me off more than watching our lbs getting torched in the ccg by a team we shut down earlier in the season :hmmph

This

In a recent article Bo talked about this whole D being "more athletic" and faster. Mentioned he wants them to think less and play faster. Again, with our "talent" on D last year we were lucky to win 10. We were swimming in the shallow end for sure.

This year, we have speed. Our LB's are young and will make mistakes. BUT they have the athleticism to cover up these mistakes.

Also liked the comments from Paps about Rose (IIRC) being used as an "eraser" this year. Paps said, a guy who is capable of coming up and getting a stop or making a play in the open field when the front 7 miss. We had the Peso and now the Eraser. Peso allowed Haag to run free and excel. Maybe the Eraser will do the same.

In a recent article Bo talked about this whole D being "more athletic" and faster. Mentioned he wants them to think less and play faster. Again, with our "talent" on D last year we were lucky to win 10. We were swimming in the shallow end for sure.

This year, we have speed. Our LB's are young and will make mistakes. BUT they have the athleticism to cover up these mistakes.

Also liked the comments from Paps about Rose (IIRC) being used as an "eraser" this year. Paps said, a guy who is capable of coming up and getting a stop or making a play in the open field when the front 7 miss. We had the Peso and now the Eraser. Peso allowed Haag to run free and excel. Maybe the Eraser will do the same.

When LB's or DB's play fast and aggressive they are going to make mistakes, but it also seems to me that they make way more big plays and have more turnovers then guys who just worry solely about playing assignment football

+1

How many 245lb rbs are we going to be facing?

How many 245lb rbs are we going to be facing?

WavingCat.gif

Oh me me me!!! Please... me!!!! lol

I'd be more concerned with us having fast 205 lb LB's. The weight addition is good. They won't lose hardly any speed, if at all.

We need the special combination of size and speed, not purely speed and not purely size.

Too big, you can't make plays. Too small? Might as well be playing 7 DB's.