Charles Jackson. Going to get him on the field one way or another

p8IuIwJl.jpg

Jackson taking his safety studies seriously

March 07, 2013 12:05 am • By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

<snip>

He’s learning to be a safety at Nebraska. In his mind, that means learning to basically be one of the quarterbacks of the defense. A guy who knows not just what he’s supposed to do within the scheme, but why he’s supposed to do it and what it means to the big picture of the defense. “It’s pretty challenging mentally,” he says. “You've just got to grind through it and pick it up each and every day and learn more and more.” And so the sophomore studies film whenever he can, and is among a group of young defensive backs who stays after each practice listening to secondary coach Terry Joseph.

<snip>

Defensive coordinator John Papuchis said going into the spring that there likely will be an important role for Charles Jackson in this defense. Whether it be safety, nickel or cornerback, “we’re going to get him on the field one way or another.”

LINK

I LIKE the sound of that! I think this guy is gonna be a star.

I think in our pattern matching coverage scheme, it's frequently been said that there's a lot of demands, mentally, on the players. And so a common practice would be to work guys in at different positions early in their careers to help them get acclimated to the cerebral aspect of this game.

In this case I don't know, it might speak to our weaknesses at safety more than anything. We need reliable safety play like we haven't had since the O'Hanlon days. If Jackson eventually goes back to corner he'll likely be better for it from this experience.

Lastly, I was the one who peed on Dude's rug. I'm really sorry but I also had to go pretty bad.

Translation: We're going to dick him around until he transfers.

Woah, Dude. Who peed on your rug?

I see where Dude is coming from. It does seem that we do this a lot with guys. As long as we use spring practice, and not the season, to do this "moving around " stuff, I think we'll be ok here....

History has proven this to be true. It's one of the most unfortunate things about the program right now. The talent has got to be utilized. Thus far, a lot of talent has really been mismanaged. It's just the facts. Doesn't mean it can't change. It NEEDS to change.

• Fire 1

The biggest thing is that Safety is the most mentally intensive spot on Pelini's defense, and that's what has held people back from playing. I think Pelini is going to look at how he's run things up to this point and change things. He's lost too many of his older and more experienced to not change. We are going to see the younger, more athletic guys play because of necessity.

Also who on defense has been underutilized? After 2010, Courtney Osbourne ended up having trouble with concussions and other injuries. Martin had trouble with the mental aspects of being a LB, so was moved to DE and excelled.

The biggest problem that Pelini has had in player management is that his first few recruiting classes were short on game changers. He got a number of good starters and quality men, but outside of Rex, Baker, and Martin, who was more than just a solid contributor?

The biggest thing is that Safety is the most mentally intensive spot on Pelini's defense, and that's what has held people back from playing. I think Pelini is going to look at how he's run things up to this point and change things. He's lost too many of his older and more experienced to not change. We are going to see the younger, more athletic guys play because of necessity.

Also who on defense has been underutilized? After 2010, Courtney Osbourne ended up having trouble with concussions and other injuries. Martin had trouble with the mental aspects of being a LB, so was moved to DE and excelled.

The biggest problem that Pelini has had in player management is that his first few recruiting classes were short on game changers. He got a number of good starters and quality men, but outside of Rex, Baker, and Martin, who was more than just a solid contributor?

Martinez and his speed are game changers. I am really excited to see how Pelini gets this youth we have to play. They have the athletic ability now Bo has to get them in the right place. If he is the defensive genius he and many proclaim he should be able to accomplish this.