NFL 2013 Free Agency Discussion

zoogs

The fact of the matter is that Welker is an above-average player...who is replaceable. It boggles my mind that analysts/the media apparently don't watch Welker run patterns. Even HOFer Michael Irvin spoke today on NFL Network about Welker's "great timing". Please. He runs what is known as a "speed cut", meaning he is immediately taking a curved direction toward the area in which he should receive the ball yards before any defender can even get close to him. After that, it's a matter of reading defences and his quarterback getting him the ball in stride within the proper passing window (and/or in between zones in defensive pass coverage).

Granted, this is not as easy as it sounds, particularly because it depends on both the receiver and QB being in sync - which Brady and Welker so ofter were. But New England runs those patterns ad nauseum for one main reason: It doesn't require a superstar physical talent to perform this receiving duty. It requires an above average one - one that can be replaced once their perceived value exceeds what the team believes his value to be. Honestly - watch Welker run patterns. The ball is there before anyone else is. Simple. It's not like he's making great moves, has blazing speed, or can out-jump/-fight most players for the ball. (Besides, over the last few years, Welker has shown a gap in his hands range, much like a baseball hitter has a gap in their swing - he doesn't catch the balls thrown over his shoulder that require full arm extension. It happened early on in the AFC final last season, and it will happen again.)

Sure, go ahead and like Welker. He's a good player with exceptional stats. But he's more of an effect of the scheme than he is a precipitator. Like I've been saying - watch his patterns. They don't require good moves. When was the last time anyone said "great, athletic move by Welker to lose the defender(s)"? Because he doesn't do that. He runs the offence, just like Edelman did when he stepped in - and also made himself look better than he is. The Pats will move on, and so will Welker. Chances are that if New England falters this season it won't be because they miss their old slot receiver for the last 6 years.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2NVBaeymV

From the comments section of Peter King's SI.com article deriding the Patriots for miscalculating Welker's value. Posting because it makes me feel better. Also I sort of agree.

I don't totally buy that. I would agree that Welker's success was largely a part of the Patriots system, but he was a perfect piece for that system. If he was nothing special as the comments seem to say, other receivers should be able to collect similar numbers, and/or defenses should be able to shut it down. But it hasn't happened.

Greg Jennings signed a 5 year deal with the Vikings...

Apparently Matt Cassel ran in to him and hugged him and said he hopes Jennings joined the Vikings.

If the Vikings actually find a passing game.....

OK. I know that requires a QB as well but that might at least mean other teams can only commit 10 guys to stopping AD instead of all 11.

Can't believe Gregorious left Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers.

Really like what the Pats have done this FA season after Welker's loss, aside from losing Danny Woodhead. Adrian Wilson, David Jones, possibly Emmanuel Sanders, there are some good gets here.

Pats owner Robert Kraft talking about wanting Wes back and how the Patriots had a better offer than Denver:

http://espn.go.com/b...ur-first-choice

I actually thought Denver's offer was 2 years and a fully guaranteed 12 million, but I guess that makes no sense, since salary can't be guaranteed obviously.

But I really believe in this case, his agents misrepresented, in their mind, what his market value was. When you come right down to the bottom line, he accepted a deal in Denver which is less money than what we offered him. In fact, he has a one-year deal in Denver for $6 million. Our last offer, before we would have even gone up and before we thought we were going into free agency, was a $10 million offer with incentives that would have earned him another $6 million if he performed the way he had the previous two years. But in Denver, he’s going to count $4 million against the cap this coming year and $8 million the second year. There is no guarantee that he plays the second year there. He will get $6 million the first year. Our deal, he would have gotten $8 million the first year – our last offer to him.

“So in fact, our offer was better than what in fact he got from Denver. I’m just really sad about that. Everyone in our organization, including our head coach – I sat in a number of meetings, we discussed this very carefully. Just to clear up any misconception, we wanted Wes back.

“But in the end, in my early years, I used to emotionally react to having players stay with the team, and sometimes we went beyond our financial disciplines. Then the fall came and we played football, and we didn’t win all the games we wanted, and I can just tell you that feeling is horrible. I’m going to do everything I can, always, to avoid that.

The article is much longer and has a lot more from Kraft. Good read. You never see this amount of detail from the Patriots.

Greg Jennings signed a 5 year deal with the Vikings...

Apparently Matt Cassel ran in to him and hugged him and said he hopes Jennings joined the Vikings.

They love them some Packers leftovers up there!

Not leftovers... that implies the players are played-out.

Darren SHarper- some of his best seasons were in MN

Brett Favre- One play away from a super bowl

Longwell- Again, some of his best seasons were in MN

Greg Jennings- ?????????????