What Would a 64-Team College Football Playoff Look Like?

Did someone spend more than 5 seconds on this bracket? Wisconsin vs. Penn St. and Northern Illinois vs. Toledo in the first round, are you kidding me? Both games have teams from the same division. Boise St. vs. Fresno St. and Ole Miss vs. South Carolina are both the same conference. Nebraska vs. Arkansas St. in the first round? We played in the regular season!

Not to mention all the other second round fiascoes.

This is why we can't have nice things!

Did someone spend more than 5 seconds on this bracket? Wisconsin vs. Penn St. and Northern Illinois vs. Toledo in the first round, are you kidding me? Both games have teams from the same division. Boise St. vs. Fresno St. and Ole Miss vs. South Carolina are both the same conference. Nebraska vs. Arkansas St. in the first round? We played in the regular season!

Hey they tried really hard.

Hey they tried really hard.

So do washing machines

• Fire 2

If this ever did happen (which it won't) injuries would play a HUGE role in outcome. We would've been sitting pretty with three starting caliber RBs last season. But vulnerable at QB, among other positions.

In the future playoffs, injuries will be considered.

The selection committee will receive a "jury charge" from the commissioners. In ranking the teams, the committee will consider strength of schedule, where the games were played, conference championships and whether teams lost games because of injuries to key players.

64 may be a little over zealous, but a 4-team playoff does not seem satisfying.

Alternative options could be:

1.) an 8-team playoff with the top two highest ranked conference champions from four regions (West, East, South, and Midwest).

2.) a 16-team playoff with a wild card round beforehand (like in the NFL).The automatic bye teams into the top 16 would be the eight teams I mentioned about. Four of the remaining 16 could come out of each of the four regions and be the highest ranked four teams from that region (excluding the 8 with automatic byes). This gets 24 teams into the playoffs (wild card round included) I favor this option out of everything I have heard thus far.

I think the average College football fan would hate a 64 team playoff. This is the type of thing that playoff opponents point to as their greatest fear: to make the regular season irrelevant. I also think that each regular season game meaning something is an important thing that makes this sport unique and compelling. A rivalry game that gets out of hand can ruin an entire season. How awesome is that?

I like an 8-team, 12-team or 16-team format that includes mostly conference champs. That makes the Conf Champ games actually mean something as well.

Anything more than 16 will erode the regular season in my book. Unfortunately, once we finally get the tourney to be the right size someone will want to mess with it to make more money (look at the expansion of the silly play-in games in the BB tourney). :rolleyes:

I also think that the bowl system as we now know it will and should go away. 6-6 teams have no business in the post season in my opinion, and 7-5 teams from the MAC should not feel entitled to postseason play, either. Having a second-tier tourney and even a third-tier one would be preferable to meaningless bowls.

70 teams in post-season is too many. three tiers of 16-team playoffs would give you 48. If the remaining 22 "bowl eligible" teams want to have 11 pillow-fights after that, go for it. Can't wait to see the ratings on that.

I think the average College football fan would hate a 64 team playoff. This is the type of thing that playoff opponents point to as their greatest fear: to make the regular season irrelevant. I also think that each regular season game meaning something is an important thing that makes this sport unique and compelling. A rivalry game that gets out of hand can ruin an entire season. How awesome is that?

I like an 8-team, 12-team or 16-team format that includes mostly conference champs. That makes the Conf Champ games actually mean something as well.

Anything more than 16 will erode the regular season in my book. Unfortunately, once we finally get the tourney to be the right size someone will want to mess with it to make more money (look at the expansion of the silly play-in games in the BB tourney). :rolleyes:

starting to read this, i did not think i would agree with you. everyone complains about 'the regular season not mattering'. but what really ruins a regular season is when you have one lose and only have a second tier bowl game to look forward to. the regular season will almost always matter, even with an expanded playoff system (a 64 team playoff would be the exception).

however, i ended up agreeing with you. i think the regular season would matter with your scenarios. i look at the nfl and see that ever game matters, hell, even in a baseball a loss in early may can be what keeps you out of the playoffs. but i do understand you concern with eroding the importance of the regular season. i especially liked your point about conference champs actually mattering. i think there needs to be at least 8 teams. 10 could be nice with two teams getting byes. 16 would allow for conference champs to get automatic bids with a few at-large bids.

it is hard to say what is the right number, but i think it is somewhere between 8-16. it just depends on how you get invited. if it is strictly the top 8 or 10, then conf. champs. become a liability. but if it is mostly by conference champs., then quality teams in the same division would be denied in favor of less quality teams from inferior conferences. however, i agree that i do not want to see it tinkered with. ideally they would figure something out that worked and then leave it alone.