Skeptic/Believer

What I forsee and hope doesn't happen. NU offensively is a juggernaut this year but the defense loses us a few games.

Beck then becomes a hot commodity and is convinced with $ or a head coaching gig and leaves.

2014 we turn the corner defensively and have a top10 unit. Now the offense is in reconstruction mode with a new OC.

Maybe unfairly to Pelini it is conjectured that he will never be able to put both together in the same year if ever. Pelini's head is called for and boom back to square one.

...don't think you used this anywhere near correctly...but...

"to conclude or suppose from grounds or evidence insufficient to ensure reliability" -- pretty much sums up your post.

While I wish I could be kool-aide optimistic, I cannot. Too much over promising and under delievering from the past.

Let's put it this way, I won't believe the preseason press reports coming out of the coaches office until I see the product on the field against UCLA. No more kool-aide drinking.

We will have an offense that can play with anyone but that can also go in reverse with penalties and turnovers. If we fix those areas we'll be very good on O and we'll give every D we face nightmares.

On D -- who knows. We've been told before about individual ability and team speed, yada yada. After the points given up last year, I may have to go the full season to believe that Bo remembers how to coach D.

We could have a team like the 83 team - the scoring explosion that scored enough to overcome the D's inadequacies except in the final game.

This cannot be another 4 loss season with our easier schedule. But my gut says we'll do just enough to be better than last year but still have that empty feeling of not being over the top. 3 loss season - 1 regular season, CCG, Bowl Game. TM hasn't shown he can win on the biggest stage and nor has Bo. It wil be a matter of Bo being out coached and TM trying too hard to make up for it.

• Fire 1

While I wish I could be kool-aide optimistic, I cannot. Too much over promising and under delievering from the past.

Let's put it this way, I won't believe the preseason press reports coming out of the coaches office until I see the product on the field against UCLA. No more kool-aide drinking.

We will have an offense that can play with anyone but that can also go in reverse with penalties and turnovers. If we fix those areas we'll be very good on O and we'll give every D we face nightmares.

On D -- who knows. We've been told before about individual ability and team speed, yada yada. After the points given up last year, I may have to go the full season to believe that Bo remembers how to coach D.

We could have a team like the 83 team - the scoring explosion that scored enough to overcome the D's inadequacies except in the final game.

This cannot be another 4 loss season with our easier schedule. But my gut says we'll do just enough to be better than last year but still have that empty feeling of not being over the top. 3 loss season - 1 regular season, CCG, Bowl Game. TM hasn't shown he can win on the biggest stage and nor has Bo. It wil be a matter of Bo being out coached and TM trying too hard to make up for it.

Wow. TG ... you and I think very much alike. I agree in principle with all that you say here... though I would add that our offense may not be the nightmare-inducing offense for our opponents that we think. Yes, penalties and turnovers have killed us and that can stop our offensive production... but against good defenses, there is another problem --- I am unconvinced that the NU offensive line can refrain from getting collapsed and result in pass protection problems and difficulties running the ball.

We do have an easier schedule and so wins against most of our opponents should be expected... but one regular season loss is very likely... and two regular season losses is fairly likely too. If NU goes to a CCG that is a certain loss... and if paired with an upper mid-level SEC team (again) that too is a certain loss.

So... a 3-4 loss season is most probable... Lets say 3. Finish again ranked somewhere between 20-30 nationally. Same old... Same old...

I agree with all, except this part. Martinez has/helped put up enough points to win every game we had last year, and he has came back to win the ones we were trailing. Last year, Martinez proved he was a winner, and he was never going to quit until game clock was expired. You can't blame Martinez for last years loss', even with the fumbles. 300+ Rushing yards allowed, is the blame.

While I wish I could be kool-aide optimistic, I cannot. Too much over promising and under delievering from the past. Let's put it this way, I won't believe the preseason press reports coming out of the coaches office until I see the product on the field against UCLA. No more kool-aide drinking. We will have an offense that can play with anyone but that can also go in reverse with penalties and turnovers. If we fix those areas we'll be very good on O and we'll give every D we face nightmares. On D -- who knows. We've been told before about individual ability and team speed, yada yada. After the points given up last year, I may have to go the full season to believe that Bo remembers how to coach D. We could have a team like the 83 team - the scoring explosion that scored enough to overcome the D's inadequacies except in the final game. This cannot be another 4 loss season with our easier schedule. But my gut says we'll do just enough to be better than last year but still have that empty feeling of not being over the top. 3 loss season - 1 regular season, CCG, Bowl Game. TM hasn't shown he can win on the biggest stage and nor has Bo. It wil be a matter of Bo being out coached and TM trying too hard to make up for it.

I'm waiting for the chatter about competing for a NC. I like the enthusiasm from the team but come on, let's be realistic. Too many blow out losses the last couple of years has tempered most of the fans' expectations. We know how far away they really are from competing for a NC. I don't think we wil hear that kind of crazy talk this year.

The most I am hoping for this season is to see improvement and that the program is on an upward trajectory.

What I forsee and hope doesn't happen. NU offensively is a juggernaut this year but the defense loses us a few games.

Beck then becomes a hot commodity and is convinced with $ or a head coaching gig and leaves.

2014 we turn the corner defensively and have a top10 unit. Now the offense is in reconstruction mode with a new OC.

Maybe unfairly to Pelini it is conjectured that he will never be able to put both together in the same year if ever. Pelini's head is called for and boom back to square one.

...don't think you used this anywhere near correctly...but...

"to conclude or suppose from grounds or evidence insufficient to ensure reliability" -- pretty much sums up your post.

Thanks professor :-)

I agree with all, except this part. Martinez has/helped put up enough points to win every game we had last year, and he has came back to win the ones we were trailing. Last year, Martinez proved he was a winner, and he was never going to quit until game clock was expired. You can't blame Martinez for last years loss', even with the fumbles. 300+ Rushing yards allowed, is the blame.

I can agree wt most of what you say - TM was a vast improvement over the previous year and his play alone would not have stopped the landslides against Wisc and OSU. However, fumbles in competitive games can and will hurt us this year if we don't get 'a better handle' on it. It is one thing to fumble when we have a big lead or when the opponent has a big lead - its an "Oh Well". But he needs to improve here as both a player and a leader. The O will need to be the leader again this year and we cannot afford to turn it over to an inexperience D. Perhaps I should say, TM was not able to overcome Bo's lack of adjustments and game planning on the big stage.

I can agree wt most of what you say - TM was a vast improvement over the previous year and his play alone would not have stopped the landslides against Wisc and OSU. However, fumbles in competitive games can and will hurt us this year if we don't get 'a better handle' on it. It is one thing to fumble when we have a big lead or when the opponent has a big lead - its an "Oh Well". But he needs to improve here as both a player and a leader. The O will need to be the leader again this year and we cannot afford to turn it over to an inexperience D. Perhaps I should say, TM was not able to overcome Bo's lack of adjustments and game planning on the big stage.

100% Completely agree. He has became a great leader, when times are rough, but I want to see him lead all 4 quarters. Verbally and emotionally. How he was when we faced Georgia, is how I want him all year. Fierce! He needs to be MUCH more vocal with the OL, and have them accountable for missed blocks and stupid mistakes. Same goes for miscues with the WR core and the RB's. This is what Frazier and Frost were great at doing. You can't get hit and expect it to be part of the game. If you get hit, someone on the front wasn't doing their job. I understand your not going to ever get hit, but its unacceptable the number of times he did last year. If I was part of that OL group, I would be ashamed of myself and my crew for letting someone hit my QB. IDK, I guess that is just an attitude we have been missing for over a decade.

It's a team game. We won as a team. We lost as a team. Against UCLA, the defense put together numerous stops in a row, but the offense couldnt put any points up. Against Ohio St, Taylor had the pick six and a couple int's at a point when we were in fast break mode trying to keep pace and catch up. Against Wisconsin, he had a fumble at a time when we were trying desparately to get back in it and the pick 6 to start it.

It's a team game, and there are 22 different guys at one point or another that contribute to the outcome of the game. Regardless of how bad the defense was at times in the losses, we can still go back and point out a couple more things the offense could've done more, and vice-versa. It's why football is the ultimate team sport.

• Fire 1

Seems like every year our defense is young and inexperienced. where are all the senior players on defense? every year can't be because we have a young defense on why we lose games.

Shoot me now. Just shoot me.

All we see is pissing and moaning (not necassarily from you) about how Bo only plays seniors and no freshman and that he only plays older, smarter kids and not the most talented yada yada.

This is an epic moment.

• Fire 1

Seems like every year our defense is young and inexperienced. where are all the senior players on defense? every year can't be because we have a young defense on why we lose games.

Stein, Martin, Carter, Compton, Fisher, Whaley, Smith, Stafford, ect.

Seems like we were pretty senior-heavy last year.

• Fire 1

All we see is pissing and moaning (not necassarily from you) about how Bo only plays seniors and no freshman and that he only plays older, smarter kids and not the most talented yada yada.

This is an epic moment.

Amazing isn't it?

Arent we concerned in another thread about a fresh and soph laden defense this year as a result of replacing so many graduating seniors?

The age range of our starters is no farther off now, or the last 5 years, than it ever has been-or any different than any other program in the country for that matter.

Sometimes you have senior/veteran laden units. Sometimes theyre young with lost of fresh/soph. That's just the nature and timing of the biz.

This is an epic moment.

Amazing isn't it?

Oh the spirograph of Huskerboard. Gets me everytime.