B1G to D-III?

Stumpy1

Delany is saying that the B1G might de-emphasize athletics if O'Bannon wins against the NCAA on "pay for play" for college athletes. This would ruin the B1G if it does happen.

I don't know how to share a link but it is a SportsIllustrated piece.

Delaney would like fans to believe that if the B1G had to share a small piece of the multi-million dollar revenue pie with it's athletes, that the conference would wither and wane to athletic irrelevancy...........this is about as believable as Manti Te'os story about his girlfriend......

Before you all fall off the boat please read the deposition and not a Sports Illustrated article. He stated that the majority of the money would go to "football and basketball" and other sports would suffer. He referenced Title IX and all the headway women's sports have made. He also stated that they would have to look at a Division III scenario where as they do not have athletic scholarships but offer schollies for academics. He did not say the BIG would turn to Division III, he just feels, like myself, that the education is more important than the sport and that you would have a watered down product if the ruling is in favor of O'Bannon. This would not only effect the BIG, but what do you think the SEC would do? "You scored a 17 on your ACT?" "Perfect, you get an academic scholarship."

• Fire 2

It's funny how ESPN/ Rittenburg's take has a lot of focus on how Nebraska fans would react.

Imagine Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee or Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman telling their fan bases that big-time sports are no longer the way to go.

The Big Ten likely would earn respect from the academic and non-sports community if it de-emphasized sports on principle rather than paying players. But the Big Ten isn't the Ivy League. Big-time sports are such an integral part of schools like Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Nebraska.

I think fans needing their sports is less a factor then the economic aspect when considering whether to do away with big-time sports. TO alluded to this during the PSU scandal and sanctions were being considered. He probably had seen the figures on how much money CFB brings into the university and surrounding community. I believe Delaney is right that if a compelling case can be made that sports have become too big and there are enough negatives around it then Presidents would do the right thing and change the model. I don't think sports have gotten so big since the days when OSU decided not to go to a bowl game because they felt too much emphasis was being placed on football. I believe most fans would support a needed change- primarilly the ones that graduated from the school.

It's unlikely, but as a Husker fan it is hard to consider.

So much of Nebraska's identity, as a state, is tied up in the football team. Priorities are a bit lopsided, I think, but that's just how it is. I wonder, if it came to pass, if Nebraska would remain Big 10 or think about moving on to another conference.

Again, I think it incredibly unlikely, but it makes me a bit uneasy, too.

All this seem highly unlikely. To ask for 50% of the television revenue to be placed in a trust until the athlete graduates? Over $1 Billion dollars. There are approximately 420,000 student athletes. Who gets paid and who doesn't? What about improvements to facilities and staff, do you raise tuition? There are too many factors than simply here you go, here's your money. What is really at the heart of this. Does Ed O'Bannon think he will change college sports and everyone will be happy with him? Is he trying to bring down the NCAA? What is really motivating him to press this issue. Let's just add that this, is an antitrust argument. At the core is the NCAA's right to a likeness after an athlete has graduated.