MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN

I have never watched MSNBC and I've barely ever watched Fox News. I used to watch CNN all day long, as background noise if not actually watching, or if not CNN itself then Headline News. I haven't watched either in over ten years. Headline News was fantastic in the 80s and early 90s. They had 30-minute cycles of news over and over and over. It was just news. Now it's this unwatchable mess of BS. Any network that would employ Nancy Grace is devoid of common sense.

• Fire 1

I have never watched MSNBC and I've barely ever watched Fox News. I used to watch CNN all day long, as background noise if not actually watching, or if not CNN itself then Headline News. I haven't watched either in over ten years. Headline News was fantastic in the 80s and early 90s. They had 30-minute cycles of news over and over and over. It was just news. Now it's this unwatchable mess of BS. Any network that would employ Nancy Grace is devoid of common sense.

i remember when headline news was cool. every channel (e.g. mtv, tlc, history, headline news, etc.) starts out with the best intentions, but just devolves into sensational garbage. it is our own fault, though. we have met the enemy and he is us.

Oh come on Knapp, you'd tap that and you know it.

I have tried to explain to my kids why Nancy Grace is one of the most despised women on TV in my eyes. It absolutely disgusts me that she picks someone's unfortunately horrible situation and pounds on it over and over and over again sensationalizing it for her own personal gain.

What a pathetic human being.

I have tried to explain to my kids why Nancy Grace is one of the most despised women on TV in my eyes. It absolutely disgusts me that she picks someone's unfortunately horrible situation and pounds on it over and over and over again sensationalizing it for her own personal gain.

What a pathetic human being.

Now that's something we can all agree on right there.

Shepard Smith at Fox is kind of awesome. At least he was about 10 years ago . . .

I can't think of anyone from either of the other stations I like. Then again it's been about 10 years since I've paid much attention to any 24-hour news station. Listening to Wolf Blitzer is worse than waterboarding.

I watch O'Riley some. I like his segments with Dennis Miller and Adam Corella. I am fairly conservative in my views much so when it comes to money. I don't really think same sex marrage is cool, but when it comes right down to it I really don't care. but don't want to listen to it all day. Some people listen and watch it all day and they really let it bug them. For me its not that I don't generally agree with what they are saying, I just don't want do listen to it all the time. I would rather listen to music.

I watch O'Riley some. I like his segments with Dennis Miller and Adam Corella. I am fairly conservative in my views much so when it comes to money. I don't really think same sex marrage is cool, but when it comes right down to it I really don't care. but don't want to listen to it all day. Some people listen and watch it all day and they really let it bug them. For me its not that I don't generally agree with what they are saying, I just don't want do listen to it all the time. I would rather listen to music.

I used to be 100% against same-sex marriage and such, but that was a few years ago in the prime of my jacked-up, watch fox and listen to Rush-Wilkow-Beck, pissed of at everything in the world phase. I'm more tolerant now. I dont watch or listen to the crap anymore and go off my own opinions and principles-as I stated earlier in this thread. I dont give a sh#t about same-sex marriage and all that crap and abortion and yada yada. My wife's a devout catholic and I know she woudl strongly disagree with what I'm saying, but for christ's sake, legalize the marriages, make a f'ing decision on abortion and be done with both already so we can move on and put our full attention to sh#t that actually matters, like a budget and defense, before China throws our dollar away and North korea and iran try to shove nukes up our ass. We can talk all we want about society this and that, but society's already in the shitter and always will be. Just make a damn decision so we can move on. i dont care either way anymore.

All these talking heads-from both sides-are just full of sh#t anymore. And it's killing our country.

I don't think the problem is the networks as much as that people still view them as factual news organizations and watch one network for all their information because that's what their elders did when they were actually factual news organizations.

Ideally you are supposed to understand that these networks are biased to a particlular party slant, You should pick one or two programs from each network and watch both sides to stay informed while keeping their bias in mindto form a balanced opinion for yourself on the issues - factchecking the stories and statements that register most to you on a personal level to make sure you understand the truth of the issues not just the rhetoric. Not enough people do that. Too many people simply pick one network, listen to what that network is telling them with no filter for bias or any real personal research to make sure what they are being told is in fact true and then make all their decisions based on that.

This generation of voters has the ability at their disposal to be the most informed generation of voters in the history of the world due to the technology that we are afforded, so the fact that it's probably one of the most uninformed generations in the history of our nation is just sad.

I don't think the problem is the networks as much as that people still view them as factual news organizations and watch one network for all their information because that's what their elders did when they were actually factual news organizations.

Ideally you are supposed to understand that these networks are biased to a particlular party slant, You should pick one or two programs from each network and watch both sides to stay informed while keeping their bias in mindto form a balanced opinion for yourself on the issues - factchecking the stories and statements that register most to you on a personal level to make sure you understand the truth of the issues not just the rhetoric. Not enough people do that. Too many people simply pick one network, listen to what that network is telling them with no filter for bias or any real personal research to make sure what they are being told is in fact true and then make all their decisions based on that.

This generation of voters has the ability at their disposal to be the most informed generation of voters in the history of the world due to the technology that we are afforded, so the fact that it's probably one of the most uninformed generations in the history of our nation is just sad.

I completely agree with the part in RED. It really is sad.

As for the other part, I used to agree with this. Here is the problem. Instead of being more informed by watching both networks, you just get your head filled with crap from both sides. After completely wasting your time watching the networks and probably getting your blood pressure doubled, you still have to go research the topic to find out what 2% of what was said is actually true.

I choose to not watch any of them and go find my own information.

None of the above, please.

Yup. I don't have cable TV anyway, so it's hard to watch cable news anyway.

Even if I had cable, all I'd do is watch FOOD programs.

Dollars to donuts you watch Daily Show though...

amirite?

I used to talk to people constantly about politics. You know what? This is just about the only place I talk about politics anymore. I just got up and walked out and ended a meeting because the talk was going towards politics.

this is the only place i talk about anything with anyone.

also, i agree with what you said about how dangerous the media is.

I LOL'd at that.

I hear ya though... talking politics is easier here when you can post links, charts and "Thanks Obama!" graphics - and then in another thread talk about how awesome Taylor Martinez is.

When your head starts to hurt, click the little 'x'.

It's a lot different than drinking and discussing politics with friends and neighbors and everything seems to devolve into the same old irrelevant talking points.

Yup. I don't have cable TV anyway, so it's hard to watch cable news anyway.

Even if I had cable, all I'd do is watch FOOD programs.

This Old House is the only thing that I don't miss each week. I do watch DIY, HGTV, and the various cooking shows on occassion.

Dollars to donuts you watch Daily Show though...

amirite?

I do watch the opening monologue about once a week. Most of the time I just see highlights that show up online.

I have said for a long time, the media machine in this country is WAY more dangerous to our future well being than anything Congress or the President can do. They control what we hear and what a vast majority of the population knows.

QFT. None of them are worth a damn. Sad and pathetic.

I have stepped WAY back from any of it and try my best to look at everything from my own experiences and what is logical. I tend to be very conservative on fiscal issues and more middle of the road on others.

I know that for me personally, I have done so much, learned so much, and met so many different people over my life, I have changed the way I view politics, especially from a "people" standpoint.

I used to talk to people constantly about politics. You know what? This is just about the only place I talk about politics anymore. I just got up and walked out and ended a meeting because the talk was going towards politics.

It almost makes me sick to talk politics anymore. When we have get togethers on my dad's side, most of them are right wing to hard core right wing, but my aunt and her husband are left to far lefties, with me and my siblings being right in the middle. It gets pretty contentious and ugly on occasion, and it just makes me want to drop a fart in the middle of their pissfest and walk away.