So this website has a pretty neat interactive cow that shows the cuts and what not.

http://www.beefinnov...stechnical.aspx

The interactive link is just below the diagram.

Check out the pdf link above it. http://www.beefinnov...sumer_Needs.pdf . Apparently due to the efficiency of the American beef producer, prices of beef were low so this group decided how to figure out how to come up with different cuts of beef and get more $ from each carcass. By studying the muscle of beef they were able to come up with 13 new cuts that they have been able to market. One is the Flat Iron.

The work was conducted on fed-steer and heifer carcasses in partnership with the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida.

GBR!!!

I eat a lot of chuck eye steaks. They're about as good as ribeyes (in my opinion) and much more affordable. Every flat iron I've ever cooked has been tough as hell, not sure if I just don't know what the hell I'm doing. . . or?

Bison meat is the way to go, however. I'd take that over cow any day. Just not nearly as easy to come by, and a little pricey.

I thought Ted Turner bought some ranches in northern Nebraska and was raising bison. Once upon a time, wasn't the talk about how bison would supplant beef? Ostrich seemed to be the next big thing for a while. Anyone try ostrich?

Yes he did. And, he has ruined one heck of a lot of pasture ground because of it.

I would assume from overgrazing since that land survived for a long time with buffalo roaming it?

Yes....he had a hair brained idea that actually managing the pastures was wrong. So, he bought up a huge amount of land, took out all the cross fences and just turned the buffalo out.

He has since changed how he does this. But, while he was doing this, I had an old rancher tell me that there is some of this land that could take 50-100 years to get back to where it was when he bought it from those horrible ranchers.

Yes....he had a hair brained idea that actually managing the pastures was wrong. So, he bought up a huge amount of land, took out all the cross fences and just turned the buffalo out.

He has since changed how he does this. But, while he was doing this, I had an old rancher tell me that there is some of this land that could take 50-100 years to get back to where it was when he bought it from those horrible ranchers.

Not suprised, I knew he had some strange notions when he married Hanoi Jane. Did he try to get some native americans to live in TeePees on his land? I can imagine the mess he created if the buffalo tore up the top soil down to the sand. I heard he overpaid for the land causing the taxes for the surrounding neighbors to go up substantially.

I may be in the minority, but whenever I go out to Western, NE to goose hunt my Dad always orders bull fries. I actually think they are kind of good :dunno

Juevos de toro es muy bueno.

Remember being back in the panhandle working friends brandings and older guys there would cut the nuts , throw them on the brand burner, wait a minute or two and then chow down. Prefer mine battered and fried

I may be in the minority, but whenever I go out to Western, NE to goose hunt my Dad always orders bull fries. I actually think they are kind of good :dunno

Juevos de toro es muy bueno.

Remember being back in the panhandle working friends brandings and older guys there would cut the nuts , throw them on the brand burner, wait a minute or two and then chow down. Prefer mine battered and fried

I've been to some of them branding out there and witnessed that exact thing. not for me. no thanks. I took quite a like to the steaks that were cooked that night.