SCOTUS and Gay Marriage

• 3 months later...

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/ted-cruz-obama-administration-gay-marriage-103632.html?hp=l6

The Texas Republican has been plugging his State Marriage Defense Act, a bill he introduced with Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) to require the federal government to respect state laws defining marriage between a man and a woman, on a tour of conservative radio. On Monday, Cruz told David Barton and Rick Green’s “Wallbuilders Live” that there’s been a “sad trend” in recent years of advocacy groups using courts to challenge traditional marriage laws.

“But it’s also manifested from the federal government, with the Obama administration,” Cruz said. “This administration is the most hostile-to-traditional-marriage administration this country has ever seen.”

http://nbcpolitics.n...-blog-post?lite

It's long past due for this to be proposed.

I am sure there are businesses who do discriminate but i have never seen it. This law would do nothing. they would just find a way around it.

It's just funny how these people in these businesses think this makes them better people or better Christians or gives them piece of mind.

The fact is that they could be doing business with 100 child sex offenders and never know it. But I guess that it is okay because they can't see it. But 2 dudes publicly in love with each other and they want to lock the doors. SMDH

• Fire 1

http://nbcpolitics.n...-blog-post?lite

It's long past due for this to be proposed.

I am sure there are businesses who do discriminate but i have never seen it. This law would do nothing. they would just find a way around it.

It's just funny how these people in these businesses think this makes them better people or better Christians or gives them piece of mind.

The fact is that they could be doing business with 100 child sex offenders and never know it. But I guess that it is okay because they can't see it. But 2 dudes publicly in love with each other and they want to lock the doors. SMDH

yeah...businesses like to keep their mouth shut. the less they know the better off they are. then they can act all surprised when they find out.

I support gay rights and want to work towards a world where they aren't discriminated against.

But, as a business owner, these types of laws make me cringe a little. There will be some business people that get caught up in an issue over this that don't care at all if someone is gay or not. It amazes me what some people will do when they are a disgruntled employee or customer and the more laws are actually put in place, it gives people like that more ability to cause problems.

OK....let's say I am hiring for a certain position that has to do with customers. Now, I have one person that comes in that is professional and has a great personality to relate with people. Another person comes in and just isn't quite the candidate the first person is. So...I hire the first person. Lone behold, the second person gets pissed and accuses me of discriminating against him because he is gay. Hmmmm.....A) I didn't even know he was gay and B) How am I supposed to prove he isn't or that I didn't know? How is he supposed to prove that he IS gay? The interview was just between me and him, he claims he told me in the interview. How am I supposed to prove he didn't tell me?

Is there now going to be some type of test to prove someone is gay?

I'm all for equal rights and treating everyone with respect but there could be some real head scratching issues with laws that specifically punish people who discriminate against gay people.

I support gay rights and want to work towards a world where they aren't discriminated against.

But, as a business owner, these types of laws make me cringe a little. There will be some business people that get caught up in an issue over this that don't care at all if someone is gay or not. It amazes me what some people will do when they are a disgruntled employee or customer and the more laws are actually put in place, it gives people like that more ability to cause problems.

OK....let's say I am hiring for a certain position that has to do with customers. Now, I have one person that comes in that is professional and has a great personality to relate with people. Another person comes in and just isn't quite the candidate the first person is. So...I hire the first person. Lone behold, the second person gets pissed and accuses me of discriminating against him because he is gay. Hmmmm.....A) I didn't even know he was gay and B) How am I supposed to prove he isn't or that I didn't know? How is he supposed to prove that he IS gay? The interview was just between me and him, he claims he told me in the interview. How am I supposed to prove he didn't tell me?

I'm all for equal rights and treating everyone with respect but there could be some real head scratching issues with laws that specifically punish people who discriminate against gay people.

This really isn't that much different than a number of other protected bases. Discrimination based on religion, age, and national origin are illegal, but you often can't tell just on appearances what category they fall into. For any discrimination claim to succeed, there's gotta be more than just a he said-she said accusation. There needs to be evidence of some sort. Sound business practices and appropriately written policies will go a long way, as long as the business otherwise keeps its nose clean. The greatest hassle for a business with these sorts of claims is the initial response to the allegation, but if there is nothing else to substantiate the allegation on the accuser's end, you don't have much else to worry about.

This really isn't that much different than a number of other protected bases. Discrimination based on religion, age, and national origin are illegal, but you often can't tell just on appearances what category they fall into. For any discrimination claim to succeed, there's gotta be more than just a he said-she said accusation. There needs to be evidence of some sort. Sound business practices and appropriately written policies will go a long way, as long as the business otherwise keeps its nose clean. The greatest hassle for a business with these sorts of claims is the initial response to the allegation, but if there is nothing else to substantiate the allegation on the accuser's end, you don't have much else to worry about.

Meanwhile you have spent several thousand dollars in legal fees fighting the initial allegation.

Also, all of those can be proven. How does someone prove they are gay?

by the way they talk of course!

The same way that you would prove religious affiliation . . .

How is that?

The easiest way would be testifying under oath.

Wait... So, if someone says they are gay under oath, that proves they are gay? If I and my lawyer don't think they are, how do we prove they are lying under oath?

I guess nobody ever lies under oath.