SCOTUS and Gay Marriage

With ONE exception, all of the states that allow or may allow gay marriage are on the coasts.

It is not an unrealistic generalization to make for the sake of a joke to say "fly-over states."

States like Kansas and Nebraska will be some of the very last to accept "liberal" social policies.

what-states-allow-gay-marriage-what-states-ban-gay-marriage-usa-map.jpg

• Fire 3

I still am. the cartoon makes it sound like every place but fly over states are enlightened and some how more civilized as to the subject. Total BS.

AsxxutY.png

Which is some what deceiving. A majority of the California public voted to not allow gay marriage. This was upheld in a supreme court case in 2009. California allows same sex partnerships. I'm not sure of the history of other states.

The cartoon makes it look like the public in the fly over states are bigots but the public in the coastal states are some how free from discrimination.

Which is some what deceiving. A majority of the California public voted to not allow gay marriage. This was upheld in a supreme court case in 2009. California allows same sex partnerships. I'm not sure of the history of other states.

No . . . a majority of those who voted chose not to allow gay marriage.

The cartoon makes it look like the public in the fly over states are bigots but the public in the coastal states are some how free from discrimination.

I think that you might be reading too much into it. Are your personal experiences coloring your interpretation?

No . . . a majority of those who voted chose not to allow gay marriage.

The old "majority vs. plurality" debate.

notimeforthat.gif

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/26/rand-paul-same-sex-marriage-conundrum-leads-to-marrying-animals/

“I think this is the conundrum and gets back to what you were saying in the opening — whether or not churches should decide this,” Paul said on Glenn Beck’s radio show Wednesday morning. “But it is difficult because if we have no laws on this people take it to one extension further. Does it have to be humans? You know, I mean. So there really are — the question is what social mores, can some social mores be part of legislation?”

California only voted that way in 2008 because the Obamamaniacs were bussing older Hispanics and blacks to the polls en masse. The dems sort of assumed a vote for Obama was a free vote against Prop 8. It wouldn't have passed if they snuck it into an odd numbered election year.

They assumed blacks and Hispanics were for gay marriage which is the exact opposite.

• 1 month later...

http://www.huffingto..._n_3704253.html

Sandy Rios, American Family Association talk show host and Fox News contributor, broached the topic of same-sex marriage while speaking with Chicago anti-gay pastor Erwin Lutzer last week, Right Wing Watch notes. Lutzer said one opposition against same-sex marriage is that the city's crime is bad enough and they don't need the "destruction of marriage" as well.

The two also agreed that love shouldn't be reason enough to allow same-sex couples to marry.

"A pedophile I'm sure says that he loves children -- as a matter of fact, he does -- but you can see how destructive that love is," Lutzer said. "Once love is undefined as kind of this 'I want to do this and so I'm loving' then, of course, we end up where we are ending up today with a great slide in morality, the destruction of the family, the confusion that children grow up with. All of these implications..."

"You know, the gentleman that was just sentenced yesterday for holding those women hostage in Ohio, and molesting them for years, and doing terrible things to them," Rios continued, "His defense was that he ‘loved’ his family, he ‘loved’ his child that was born out of one of the rapes that he did of the woman. He ‘loved’ and he couldn’t understand. He said, ‘I’m not a monster.’”

The "gentleman" sentenced yesterday would be Ariel Castro.

They tore down Castro's house today.

Castro home razed

CLEVELAND -- Demolition has begun on the Cleveland house where three women were held captive and raped over a decade.

The house is being torn down as part of a deal that spared Ariel Castro a possible death sentence. He was sentenced last week to life in prison plus 1,000 years.

John Yang@jyangnbc

In less than 90 minutes #arielcastro house leveled--pile of rubble

I wish this issue had not been incorporated into the gay marriage thread, they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, other than one idiot public figure mentioning it. I'm sick and tired of homophobic people trying to claim gay people are pedophiles or anything of the sort just because they are gay.