Welcome back, the Pelini way.

Upon return from spring break, the D was given a 120 page "book" from the defensive scrimmage melt down prior to break. Circled mistakes and commented on the "fix".

Seems like Bo really knows the D has to step up. "I did it so they could see the level of detail required and the things we need to do to have great success," Pelini said. "I was saying, 'This is reality. This is where we are, and this is where we have to go.'"

Good comments from players as well. "Our motto this year is it's time to put up or shut up," defensive back Ciante Evans said. "Fans are expecting [a championship], and honestly I believe one needs to be delivered. But we've been talking about it so long; we need to just go out and do it."

http://espn.go.com/b...ear-last-hurdle

Not drinking the koolaid, have heard too much coach speak, BUT these actions say a lot. Bo knows what needs to be done and is really trying to get it right. I like it.

Despite those recent setbacks, Pelini scoffs at those who suggest he needs to make changes on defense.

"That's asinine," he said. "I don't listen to that. People don't have a clue.

"At the end of the day, we've just got to be more consistent in what we're doing. A lot of times when we got hurt [defensively], it wasn't something the offense did to us; a lot of it was self-imposed, and that's easily fixable."

Uhhhhh, Coach? If it's easily fixable . . . why haven't you fixed it?

I like the less talk and more action attitude. After some of the losses last year it appears they understand that they need to show it on the field.

The other thing I've noticed in a couple of articles is players or coaches talking about paying attention to details. I believe it was an article I read about Turner and how Fisher is about the details and I was thinking hopefully the other position coaches are learning from that. People that were wishing for a Snyder type of coaching should be happy since that is one of his keys to success.

Despite those recent setbacks, Pelini scoffs at those who suggest he needs to make changes on defense.

"That's asinine," he said. "I don't listen to that. People don't have a clue.

"At the end of the day, we've just got to be more consistent in what we're doing. A lot of times when we got hurt [defensively], it wasn't something the offense did to us; a lot of it was self-imposed, and that's easily fixable."

Uhhhhh, Coach? If it's easily fixable . . . why haven't you fixed it?

How do you define this?

I'd say the difference in performance between the Wisconsin and Georgia games showed the "fixing" of some things. And next season hasn't started yet, so how is he supposed to have fixed it yet?

How do you define this?

How do I define what? Pelini said the problems on defense are easily fixed. I hope that he does fix those "easily fixable" problems.

I'd say the difference in performance between the Wisconsin and Georgia games showed the "fixing" of some things. And next season hasn't started yet, so how is he supposed to have fixed it yet?

What about the difference in performance between the UCLA game and the Ohio State game? Or the difference in performance between the Ohio State game and the Wisconsin game?

I've heard enough coach speak and excuses (the latter more often from fans than Pelini) to last a lifetime. Just get it done.

• Fire 2

Upon return from spring break, the D was given a 120 page "book" from the defensive scrimmage melt down prior to break. Circled mistakes and commented on the "fix".

does a defense need to be so confusing that it takes 120 pages to explain everything that went wrong?

Most of that 120 is exclamation points for the yelling

• Fire 1

How do you define this?

How do I define what? Pelini said the problems on defense are easily fixed. I hope that he does fix those "easily fixable" problems.

What about the difference in performance between the UCLA game and the Ohio State game? Or the difference in performance between the Ohio State game and the Wisconsin game?

I've heard enough coach speak and excuses (the latter more often from fans than Pelini) to last a lifetime. Just get it done.

What about the difference in performance between the UCLA game and the Wisconsin game that we won a week later?

Or the difference in performance between the Ohio State game and each regular season game afterwards?

We can pick and choose and be selective all we want. Or, we can admit that sport, and especially football, is complicated and an inexact science. You can say "just get it done" all you want, but you're being ignorant of how much that requires. It's not a math problem or a one-step process.

• Fire 2

How do you define this?

What about the difference in performance between the UCLA game and the Wisconsin game that we won a week later?

Or the difference in performance between the Ohio State game and each regular season game afterwards?

We can pick and choose and be selective all we want. Or, we can admit that sport, and especially football, is complicated and an inexact science. You can say "just get it done" all you want, but you're being ignorant of how much that requires. It's not a math problem or a one-step process.

I have to agree.

Texas A&M beat an invincible Alabama team, on the road, with a freshman qb by the way.

• Fire 1

If Bo's defensive playbook is as thick as Callahan's offensive playbook, that's a problem.

I'll agree with Bo that I "don't have a clue" when it comes to defense - not remotely like him, anyway. But the fact is that you can win championships with a basic, easy-to-understand defense. There isn't any reason to get so freaky complicated that good players can't fathom your defense.

Listen, if you want to spin last season into an inspiring story of continual improvement fire away.

See above.

It's possible that you're arguing with the wrong person. Nebraska's head coach said that our defensive problems are "easily fixable." Now either he's wrong (edited. Not what I intended to convey.) . . . or at this point he has failed to fix easily fixable problems.

No arguments that football is a complicated and inexact science. That said, Pelini should win something of significance (not close, not almost, not could haves, should haves, or would haves. Win.) or move on to the next gig.

If Bo's defensive playbook is as thick as Callahan's offensive playbook, that's a problem.

I'll agree with Bo that I "don't have a clue" when it comes to defense - not remotely like him, anyway. But the fact is that you can win championships with a basic, easy-to-understand defense. There isn't any reason to get so freaky complicated that good players can't fathom your defense.

It has worked before, and it will work again. When we had a load of athletes on our defense in 2009 and 2010, we loved what we saw. Then the athletes graduated and we saw a bunch of slow guys in the back 7 and BAD D line play. You need athletes to be good on defense, and in that respect, I like what I see for the future.

does a defense need to be so confusing that it takes 120 pages to explain everything that went wrong?

I agree it is complicated. Others on this board will disagree. My point being, Bo has taken the lead and painstakingly put every single mistake from that scrimmage on paper and then after showing that mistake, showed the correction. I liken this to learning in any environment. Some learn better from being shown, others from listening etc..... Bo (at least from the article) finally taken the time to show in a clear and concise manner (IMO) how his D is supposed to look and be run. I am hoping that some kids saw this and the light bulb went on and they had their ah hah moment.

Like Carl above, I am tired of coach speak and their doesn't seem to be a lot this year. From the staff or the kids. Attention to detail ie FUNDAMENTALS will pay huge dividends. The top teams this year were solid with the basics ie tackling, penalties and ball control. Master these and even an average team would stand a great chance of making a run.

Like Al Pacino said, football like life is a game of inches, change inches to details and it is a comparable analogy. Fix the small details and a lot of our issues go away.