Pretty Good Read

mwj98

And the very next segment is:

"At the end of the day, we've just got to be more consistent in what we're doing. A lot of times when we got hurt [defensively], it wasn't something the offense did to us; a lot of it was self-imposed, and that's easily fixable."

Pelini said there were "common themes" in the poor defensive performances but doesn't want to identify those publicly. He does second-guess himself on whether he should have played some of his younger, more athletic defenders last year, especially down the stretch when several starters were dealing with injuries. This year, he doesn't have a choice in that regard.

He believes what the errors are are fixable, which obviously requires a change. Also, he says that he second guesses not playing faster players because once again, that is part of the issue and would be a "change".

I'm willing to wager that he says "that's asinine" to people wanting systematic changes, an alteration in his entire defensive scheme. He's said as much in the past. I believe he even said he was going to simplify the D this off season to help them pick it up faster.

This.

Bo makes changes, he just doesn't think that major changes are in order, like some fans think.

Blitz more! Just simplify the scheme! Change to a 3-4!

Just because he isn't making huge changes doesn't mean he isn't making changes.

We don't have the personnel to do a 3-4 just yet. Getting there, but that is the direction we are slowly getting to. You don't want to switch to something you are not prepared 100% to run.

You can't blitz with a putz DL, who couldn't barely contain. How do you manage them to blitz?

He has left no choice, but to simplify things a tad, because of the young group coming in. This would be the class, where he can start to form them into his complicated system. Then, the classes after that, will be knowledgeable of the scheme, by their RS Sophomore/Junior years. The only thing that is complicated about Pelini's system, is the secondary. The LB and DL have the same duties as every other scheme, except that the LB really isn't putting the secondary into position. That is the Safety's job. That is why its crucial that we get someone who can do this, and that's why you don't see Freshman coming in and playing that spot immediately. Bo's secondary defense shows, his scheme, when put with a Safety who knows what they are doing, can be dominant. This year was his worst in secondary defense, but he still pulled a top 10, with them having more responsibilities than they should have ever had.

Our DL, while not above average, wasn't as bad as people make it appear. I'd even say that last year I was more concerned with our safeties and LBs more than our DL. I could rattle off names, but its not fair to do so. Yes the DL wasn't getting a push, but a majority of the time we were in the correct formation, play, or able to make the tackle and for whatever reason we couldn't. Lack of IQ, speed, whatever it may be...

Our awful blitz packages had more to do with our other players than the DL...

OregonHuskerMan, it starts with your D/O Line and ends with your D/O Line. Without either of these being solid, your not going to be effective on those sides of the ball. Without a solid OL, your not going to be able to run, throw or have any type of protection. We had a decently solid OL, in the rush protection factor, but horrid passing protection. Our DL lacked athleticism, size, strength, speed and attitude, with the exception of Steinkuhler. Rome was soft. Martin and Meredith were undersized, incredibly. Martin would have been a great LB in a 3/4, or a DE in the Big 12. When your DL can control the OL and get their way with them, this allows for the LB to be more flexible and shoot gaps. I believe our LBers played far above their levels, and don't get enough credit for it. Safety position, Stafford was lost and out of position most of the time he was on the field. He could give a solid tackle, but too many responsibilities for him to have. He was accountable for putting DB's in position to stop the run, while being accountable for pass protection. This is much more difficult to do, than many think. Especially when this isn't something you were trained, or went over in practice. Your secondary, should never have to be accountable for stopping the run. Their duties, other than being called on, on a blitz, is to cover their man.

As Ankrah has stated in an interview, they were never really called onto, for blitzes, as their job was mostly to contain. There were a couple blitzes that were called, but some didn't go very well. Like the huge 72yard pass in the Georgia game. This was a call from Bo, and it bit us hard. He over ride JP's call, and that's what he got for it.

You don't have a solid line, your not going to perform well. That's all I am saying. If we can have that this year, we shouldn't see any issues with having a young and inexperienced LB crew. They just need to stay quick on their feet and tackle. Do their jobs they did in HS.

If we had at least a decently solid DL, I think we would have had a much better year last year.

This is all I'm going to say regarding this post...

“It challenges us at the safety position because we have to contain the quarterback also,” he said. “We’ve got our eyes on the quarterback as well as having to cover the pass. It challenges us because, if the quarterback breaks the pocket, you have to stay with your guy.” PJ Smith

Nebraska’s safeties, Daimion Stafford and P.J. Smith, have played a large role in squelching the run, according to defensive backs coach Terry Joseph. Those players have been around the line of scrimmage more often than usual because of the mobile quarterbacks Nebraska has faced the past few games. Playing tight to the line can put added pressure on the Husker safeties, according to Smith, but they have learned to how to deal with it.

But you say our safeties are never supposed to help in the run game.... ha.

Osborne was taking blowouts in year 19.

45-10 and 45-24(wasnt even that close) to end 1990. That ALMOST ended his career at Nebraska. It's also when the changes that led to 93-97 were made.

That's a good point. Unfortunately Bo thinks making any changes like that is "asinine". I guess Osborne is one of those guys who "don't know what they're talking about".

MAYBE prior to now (that can be very much debated. Could be things we never really notice). But to say he's not making any changes as we speak is just as asinine. We just dont know. What he thinks is asinine is how people outside the team itself seem to find themselves thinking they know more about what's best for the program than the coaches that are there everyday.

This.

Bo makes changes, he just doesn't think that major changes are in order, like some fans think.

Blitz more! Just simplify the scheme! Change to a 3-4!

Just because he isn't making huge changes doesn't mean he isn't making changes.

We don't have the personnel to do a 3-4 just yet. Getting there, but that is the direction we are slowly getting to. You don't want to switch to something you are not prepared 100% to run.

You can't blitz with a putz DL, who couldn't barely contain. How do you manage them to blitz?

He has left no choice, but to simplify things a tad, because of the young group coming in. This would be the class, where he can start to form them into his complicated system. Then, the classes after that, will be knowledgeable of the scheme, by their RS Sophomore/Junior years. The only thing that is complicated about Pelini's system, is the secondary. The LB and DL have the same duties as every other scheme, except that the LB really isn't putting the secondary into position. That is the Safety's job. That is why its crucial that we get someone who can do this, and that's why you don't see Freshman coming in and playing that spot immediately. Bo's secondary defense shows, his scheme, when put with a Safety who knows what they are doing, can be dominant. This year was his worst in secondary defense, but he still pulled a top 10, with them having more responsibilities than they should have ever had.

And the 2 gap philosophy is pretty rare.

And we didn't have the speed to blitz, I know everyone loves to harp on our "awful" DL, but it was truly the lack of speed in the LB core to blitz. (Notice how Lavonte somehow, despite our "pathetic" (more like average DL) could almost always get to the backfield when he blitzed? Yeah, I did, too.)

I personally think Wisconsin said f#*k it after they beat Indiana and started preparing for us and didn't worry about tOSU and PSU. I honestly think they took those four weeks and prepared for us.

You got that impression from watching the tOSU and PSU games against Wisconsin? I got the impression Wisconsin was ready to play. One thing's for sure, they were much more prepared for Ohio State than we were.

Wisky beat our a$$ with a 3rd string QB. For all intensive purposes a new OL coach, had 3 RB's over 100 yrds. IIRC 2 went for over 200 a piece not to mention one averaged like 12 yrds per carry.

Quit living in the land of illusion. They kicked the living shi# out of us. Toss left, toss right and we had no answer. They hit Martinez late on several occasions to include the pile drive by Borland and our OL does nothing.

Had extra time to prepare, please. Wanted pay back please. They beat us like we stole something. Has Alvarez not been the AD they would have hung 100 on us.

This collapse and others, is what Bo speaks of when talking about mental toughness. This is what Raymond spoke of when he said we need to learn to get punched in the mouth.

Bo now has the pieces in place with the "stars". He has an experienced QB. 3rd year OC. 2nd year DC, OL coach who "knows the B1G. I do not think he has forgotten to coach D. Look at 2003 and 2009-2010 as examples. This team needs to toughen up when punched in the mouth. Play mean and angry. They came from behind last year. That shows ability. BUT when we had a bone headed melt down, we seem to fold and quit. Not sure how to fix it.

I personally think Wisconsin said f#*k it after they beat Indiana and started preparing for us and didn't worry about tOSU and PSU. I honestly think they took those four weeks and prepared for us.

You got that impression from watching the tOSU and PSU games against Wisconsin? I got the impression Wisconsin was ready to play. One thing's for sure, they were much more prepared for Ohio State than we were.

Wisky beat our a$$ with a 3rd string QB. For all intensive purposes a new OL coach, had 3 RB's over 100 yrds. IIRC 2 went for over 200 a piece not to mention one averaged like 12 yrds per carry.

Quit living in the land of illusion. They kicked the living shi# out of us. Toss left, toss right and we had no answer. They hit Martinez late on several occasions to include the pile drive by Borland and our OL does nothing.

Had extra time to prepare, please. Wanted pay back please. They beat us like we stole something. Has Alvarez not been the AD they would have hung 100 on us.

This collapse and others, is what Bo speaks of when talking about mental toughness. This is what Raymond spoke of when he said we need to learn to get punched in the mouth.

Bo now has the pieces in place with the "stars". He has an experienced QB. 3rd year OC. 2nd year DC, OL coach who "knows the B1G. I do not think he has forgotten to coach D. Look at 2003 and 2009-2010 as examples. This team needs to toughen up when punched in the mouth. Play mean and angry. They came from behind last year. That shows ability. BUT when we had a bone headed melt down, we seem to fold and quit. Not sure how to fix it.

So being down double digits to Northwestern and Michigan St late is not being punched in the mouth? Being down by 17 to Wisconsin on 2 separate occasions in the same game is not being punched in the mouth? Being down 14 at home at half to Penn St is not being punched in the mouth? Letting Iowa's D and wind tunnel manhandle us for 75% of the game is not being punched in the mouth? Drawing a legitimate NC contender for a bowl game is not being punched in the mouth?

Frankly I'm surprised this team had a face left after last year. Then again, maybe they didnt after the regular season, hence we saw what we saw in Indy.

Have I ever stated that they didn't beat us like we stole something???? No. Have I ever stated that they weren't ready to play? No. Do I personally believe that Bielema took three weeks and focused soley on NU??? Yes I do because his blocking schemes and defensive line schemes were something he hadn't shown on film.

Refer to accountability's post above for my exact feelings on the punch in the mouth comment.

I agree with you that with a favorable schedule and a high powered offense this year we shouldn't have an issue winning 11 games.

Have I ever stated that they didn't beat us like we stole something???? No. Have I ever stated that they weren't ready to play? No. Do I personally believe that Bielema took three weeks and focused soley on NU??? Yes I do because his blocking schemes and defensive line schemes were something he hadn't shown on film.

Refer to accountability's post above for my exact feelings on the punch in the mouth comment.

I agree with you that with a favorable schedule and a high powered offense this year we shouldn't have an issue winning 11 games.

Punched in the mouth was a bad choice. The fumble by AA against UGA, Miller's TD against OSU, safety against UCLA, roughing the punter against Michicken, the hail mary against Carolina etc..... these type of gut punches we seem to be unable to come back from. Getting down, in the games above, didn't have some "implosion" that seemed to just suck the life from the team.

My rant was no aimed at anyone in particular, my apologies. Aimed at the frustration of reliving the beat downs by Wisky and OSU etc..... Tired of excuses. Ready for some results. Year 6 and it is time to win.

Wind out of sails, punched in the mouth, gut punch, etc.

I know what you are saying. We definitely did have some great comebacks but we did seem to have quite a few plays that just broke out back and we couldn't gather ourselves.

Punched in the mouth was a bad choice. The fumble by AA against UGA, Miller's TD against OSU, safety against UCLA, roughing the punter against Michicken, the hail mary against Carolina etc..... these type of gut punches we seem to be unable to come back from. Getting down, in the games above, didn't have some "implosion" that seemed to just suck the life from the team.

My rant was no aimed at anyone in particular, my apologies. Aimed at the frustration of reliving the beat downs by Wisky and OSU etc..... Tired of excuses. Ready for some results. Year 6 and it is time to win.

Punched in the mouth is plenty the right terminology. But this team recovered from being punched in the mouth more than it didnt in 2012. That's the point I was making. It just seems that some want to point to the few bads and use them to completely overshadow the numerous goods.

• Fire 1