Fake Easter

Don't you think abortion is kind of on it's own terms? I mean, the Christian belief is that it is literally murder, and thus, legal abortion is genocide.

You don't think it's a far more heinous act to sit by and let what you perceive to be genocide happen? "Oh sure, do whatever, just let us do us. Go ahead and kill babies."

What does the bible specifically say about preventing others from sinning?

That's not rhetorical . . . you guys undoubtedly are much better biblical scholars than I am.

I look at things like the abortion issue.

Personally, I think it's wrong. It is against my religious beliefs. Doesnt mean it's against everyone's. I will never partake in it because of said beliefs and morals. I also have the understanding that there are special cases for such act and that many other people have different beliefs and morals than I do. This is how the world is. Catholics are quite hard-pressed to have it abolished completely. I keep telling my wife that's probably not going to happen. Now, it's fine for folks within the catholic church to believe such and follow their "rules". It is fine for them to not take part in it. Wanting abortion ended throughout society as a whole is what I would qualify as trying to "force" (force may seem like to harsh a word, but I dont know how else to describe it) beliefs onto a group with differing beliefs. The abortion issue is kind of a vague topic beins it goes well beyond just the catholic church, but it's a generalized issue that I could easily describe.

But it goes both ways. Christians are also victims of such acts. Atheists all over this country are having success having things removed that are related to a church. I remember a few years back in Nevada? (I think), there were 3 large crosses on the side of a highway honoring 3 state troopers who had fallen on the job. There was a group of atheists then that fought to get the crosses taken down becuase they were a religious display on public land.

Again, I'm the "mind my own business, worry about myself" type. Let me be. Dont step on my beliefs and I wont step on yours. I just wish society-both sides of the coins-would take the same approach.

Don't you think abortion is kind of on it's own terms? I mean, the Christian belief is that it is literally murder, and thus, legal abortion is genocide.

You don't think it's a far more heinous act to sit by and let what you perceive to be genocide happen? "Oh sure, do whatever, just let us do us. Go ahead and kill babies."

I personally consider myself lucky to live in a place where abortion is legal, because without it, my wife would likely have died several years ago from an ectopic pregnancy.

I look at things like the abortion issue.

Personally, I think it's wrong. It is against my religious beliefs. Doesnt mean it's against everyone's. I will never partake in it because of said beliefs and morals. I also have the understanding that there are special cases for such act and that many other people have different beliefs and morals than I do. This is how the world is. Catholics are quite hard-pressed to have it abolished completely. I keep telling my wife that's probably not going to happen. Now, it's fine for folks within the catholic church to believe such and follow their "rules". It is fine for them to not take part in it. Wanting abortion ended throughout society as a whole is what I would qualify as trying to "force" (force may seem like to harsh a word, but I dont know how else to describe it) beliefs onto a group with differing beliefs. The abortion issue is kind of a vague topic beins it goes well beyond just the catholic church, but it's a generalized issue that I could easily describe.

But it goes both ways. Christians are also victims of such acts. Atheists all over this country are having success having things removed that are related to a church. I remember a few years back in Nevada? (I think), there were 3 large crosses on the side of a highway honoring 3 state troopers who had fallen on the job. There was a group of atheists then that fought to get the crosses taken down becuase they were a religious display on public land.

Again, I'm the "mind my own business, worry about myself" type. Let me be. Dont step on my beliefs and I wont step on yours. I just wish society-both sides of the coins-would take the same approach.

I personally consider myself lucky to live in a place where abortion is legal, because without it, my wife would likely have died several years ago from an ectopic pregnancy.

I understand abortions under circumstances like this, but in general, I don't give a rat's ass if some girl willingly goes and spreads her legs and winds up pregnant. Time to grow up and accept responsibility for your actions. I mean, there's only about 10 different alternatives out there for birth control.

A more controversial scenario would be if you got the triple test results back and found out your baby was going to have spina bifida or some genetic disorder. I don't know what I'd do for sure in that situation, but I don't think I could abort the baby even then. We didn't even get the test because I didn't want to have to make that decision.

Other than the obvious necessity in some cases to save the mother's life (which I'm guessing you agree with) it is the lesser of two evil's to have abortion be legal. Like prostitution is a practice that has been around almost since the dawn of time and it's not going away even if it is illegal. If you do outlaw the practice you have the same situation as the early 20th century where women go to "back alley" places with shoddy "doctors" and they can end up with complications or even die from the procedure.

Other than the obvious necessity in some cases to save the mother's life (which I'm guessing you agree with) it is the lesser of two evil's to have abortion be legal. Like prostitution is a practice that has been around almost since the dawn of time and it's not going away even if it is illegal. If you do outlaw the practice you have the same situation as the early 20th century where women go to "back alley" places with shoddy "doctors" and they can end up with complications or even die from the procedure.

Hey, I don't disagree with you; at least in theory. I don't know what the solution is, and my post wasn't saying, "Abortion should be illegal", but rather, "Christians should be actively against abortion"

I think, in a perfect world, that plays out with Christians showing love towards their neighbors through the context of relationships, and in that love explaining and showing and encouraging their neighbors not to make that decision. In a perfect world it would never need to be a law, obviously.

Hey, I don't disagree with you; at least in theory. I don't know what the solution is, and my post wasn't saying, "Abortion should be illegal", but rather, "Christians should be actively against abortion"

I think, in a perfect world, that plays out with Christians showing love towards their neighbors through the context of relationships, and in that love explaining and showing and encouraging their neighbors not to make that decision. In a perfect world it would never need to be a law, obviously.

I figured as much, just throwing it out there. I think you're right though, the solution to many problems is education. If you want to end it then be supportive of people and let them know that they have other options and people will be there for them. I don't think fear and intimidation is ever the answer for social issues.

It's refreshing to actually talk with someone who is religious and open minded.

I feel like this has been a pretty intelligent, civil conversation. That can't be said much when debating topics like these.

I commend accountability's point of view. I am on the opposite side of religious beliefs but handle it the same way, don't try to force it upon anyone. It just gets touchy when religious types use religious principles as arguments for legal reasoning (not saying anyone is here). It is a very tough line to draw between religious and moral rights and wrongs. For example, gay marriage and abortion.

Hell, I'm not religious at all but I celebrate Christmas, or whatever Christmas has become. I used to be a CEO churchgoer, Christmas and Easter ONLY. Now I never go.

Abortion politically will never be resolved because neither side wants it to be.

I think that's true to some extent at the higher end of politics but I think that the average voter or activist on the ground level does want a resolution.

I think that most voters are content with the laws as they are. Most people who would not get an abortion, wouldn't even know they were happening if politicians and preachers were not bringing it up all the time. Its just not something most people deal with on a daily basis, so out of sight, out of mind.

Abortion politically will never be resolved because neither side wants it to be.

I think that's true to some extent at the higher end of politics but I think that the average voter or activist on the ground level does want a resolution.

Sure they do. That's why it won't be higher up. It locks in votes for both sides. That's why, even though i have strong opinions on it, i don't pay attention to it politically.

500+ people saw the resurrected Jesus as eyewitnesses, as well.

All the Jews and the Roman authorities had to do to stop this revolutionary (not in terms of other-throw of the government, but you get the idea if you understand the context of Israel at the time) movement was to produce a body. A body that was under guard by several soldiers around the clock.

So if 500 North Koreans jumped off a cliff in defense of the dear leader turning winter in spring or whatever Kim's latest miraculous achievement is, and a few guys scribbled down hearsay of these events, those writings could be used as a testament to the truth of said miracles at a (far) later date?

I think the context of the life and times of Jesus is often lost. The events of his life were completely insignificant in the context of contemporary Rome; there were many unruly groups in Judea, and a multitude of cults and mystics that came went. It just so happened that Christianity came along at a time when all the territories under Roman control had more or less been folded into a cohesive unit, which enabled a modicum of stability, trade, and exchanging of ideas. The state sanctioned pagan religion was not very compelling for the average citizen that could look forward to a short, miserable existence...Christianity on the other hand offered a promise of much more.

What I'm getting at is it's pointless to be concerned with the details of religion. You either believe and follow the core tenets of what Jesus taught or don't...it doesn't really matter if he multiplied a basket of bread, walked on water, or was resurrected.