Fake Easter

Now, I have a feeling this may turn into some harsh words, so I'm going to start by asking everyone to avoid the ad hominem's and at least attempt to be objective. Agree to disagree.

I saw the argument going a little bit on the status updates and it made me think. I'm a Catholic, went to Mass this morning, and in fact this topic was the exact theme of the homily. People who believe the concept of Easter to be fake. I'm curious as to why those of you who do believe it is fake would argue your position? I'm not judging your opinion, just simply asking why you hold it. Feel free to discuss for both sides if anyone wants to jump in.

Didn't see the status updates, what exactly is being referred to as being "fake"?

Because I mean, I understand that believing in a man resurrecting from the dead takes a bit of a leap and could easily be accused of being fake, I dunno...

a bunch of people went to church to celebrate easter, and the homily was about people who think it is fake? that seems odd.

Yup, St. Joe's in Lincoln that was how he started out his homily. WAY wrong preacher to give it too.

I wish society would just take the "you believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe" approach. But I guess that would require too much common sense and minding of each's own business.

I have never ridiculed someone for what they believe in, or even asked them to defend their reasoning-except when I was on my hothead right wing streak and blindly hated everything left politically for about a 6 month stretch a few years back, but that's something different.

I am a christian. I believe in jesus christ and a god and yada yada yada. I celebrate Christmas and Easter and such. We do the Easter bunny thing. Yes, an Easter bunny-not a Spring Bunny. This is the way we are, and it's not gonna change. But all I really ask to just let me be.

Sorry if this comes off as angry, because after re-reading it, it really seems that way. It's not supposed to though. I really dont know of any other way of wording it.

I wish society would just take the "you believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe" approach. But I guess that would require too much common sense and minding of each's own business.

I have never ridiculed someone for what they believe in, or even asked them to defend their reasoning-except when I was on my hothead right wing streak and blindly hated everything left politically for about a 6 month stretch a few years back, but that's something different.

I am a christian. I believe in jesus christ and a god and yada yada yada. I celebrate Christmas and Easter and such. We do the Easter bunny thing. Yes, an Easter bunny-not a Spring Bunny. This is the way we are, and it's not gonna change. But all I really ask to just let me be.

Sorry if this comes off as angry, because after re-reading it, it really seems that way. It's not supposed to though. I really dont know of any other way of wording it.

Nothing wrong with the wording. Unfortunately it can never be that simple.

Most people would agree with you. Christians, non-christians...atheists, theists...etc. Honestly, I'll disagree with you all day long on your beliefs if we talk about them one on one...but really, I'm not going to make a judgement on you as a person because of them. I have tons and tons of friends/families who believe the exact same thing you do. I think they're just as crazy :) I still love them just the same. But you are welcome to believe what you want.

But when it comes to legislating your belief on to those of us who don't hold the same...that's where I tend to have the problem. And I think most in my position would agree to the same (although I don't claim to speak for them). Many MANY people in the same boat as you say "just let me believe what I want to!"...but then push for Christian inclusion into our laws. They advocate against planned parenthood, equal marriage rights, teaching classroom evolutionary theory, against removing prayer from school, etc...and claim the United States is a Christian nation and is god's chosen country. These are the peoples I have issues with...just as you and many of your own Christians should as well.

Back to Atbone-

What exactly was brought up about Easter in your church? What is it that you think we believe as fake?

Likewise, what do you believe about it...and why do you believe it?

• Fire 1

Instead of someone explaining why they believe it to be fake, how about some explain why they believe it's real?

Believe what is real?

In regards to what you said, I'm in agreement when it comes to secondary or tertiary issues. However, when you look at it on a bigger scale, it's not exactly loving to have the spirit of "you believe what you will, I'll believe what I will" when you legitimately think that what they believe is going to lead them to death. On a more tangible level, if you believe that doing copious amounts of crystal meth is a good idea, and I'm confident that my belief (that it is a bad idea) is right, I'm going to do everything I can to graciously and gently turn you around.

Instead of someone explaining why they believe it to be fake, how about some explain why they believe it's real?

Believe what is real?

I think that's what we're trying to get at. The OP never really clarified "what" the topic is.

On a more tangible level....

Funny you should use that term when trying to compare the natural world with a supernatural belief :)

Believe what is real?

I think that's what we're trying to get at. The OP never really clarified "what" the topic is.

On a more tangible level....

Funny you should use that term when trying to compare the natural world with a supernatural belief :)

My apologies. Never could get back around to the board this evening. It refers to the entirety of Easter- more specifically, the Christian belief that Easter is suffering, death, and resurrection of Christ. I wasn't looking to attack anyone for their views, but simply see the reasoning behind the views. I can tell you upfront that I won't agree when you tell me that the Resurrection didn't happen, but that's not the point. The status update I saw gave me this urge to post a response until I realized that it wouldn't be fair; I'm not one for telling someone that I don't agree with them until I understand what they're really saying.

On a simple, ground level, here is my view combined with that of the priest's during the homily- 1) Obviously, the suffering and death of Christ happened. There is historical evidence to show this being true and isn't heavily disputed. 2) I believe that Christ did indeed rise from the dead because of not only what my church teaches but what I believe to be relatively truth-speaking material that occurred afterwords, and that is the life of the disciples of Jesus. In a time of severe Roman persecution, why were a group of men and women so convinced of the resurrection that they were willing to look the Roman government and, in turn, their death in the faces to defend what some would like to call a lie? We are dealing with a group primarily composed of uneducated fishermen. The possibility of these men creating the greatest lie in all of human history is zero. However, some argue that it was a joke. A joke that has lasted over 2,000 years. A joke that men and women were willing to face crucifixion for, the most brutally painful way to die in the time period. The Romans had perfected the art of torture to make crucifixion the most unbearable death imaginable... and these people welcomed it? For what? A joke they thought would be funny? A lie they invented and decided to follow through on to their deaths? At the very least, it calls you to wonder why. Now, I could continue, and this is MY BELIEF, not what you ought to believe. I'm sure I haven't done the argument enough justice, but it's what I base my beliefs upon.

Now that you have my view, I know that people hold very different, very opposite views. Why? I'm not here to condemn or to judge right from wrong. I just want to see why someone would argue the opposite.

500+ people saw the resurrected Jesus as eyewitnesses, as well.

All the Jews and the Roman authorities had to do to stop this revolutionary (not in terms of other-throw of the government, but you get the idea if you understand the context of Israel at the time) movement was to produce a body. A body that was under guard by several soldiers around the clock.

• Fire 1

I usually try to stay out of religious discussions (especially here) because of this.

If someone really wants to have an actual discussion with an open mind then I am usually fine with it. The problem is, I have no desire to enter into a discussion with someone whose only purpose is to point out how stupid anyone is who believes the way I do.

I don't believe the way I do because mommy and daddy told me I was supposed to. I went through a period of my life where I questioned everything and came up with why I believe what I believe.