Ranking Big 10 coaches - Bo # 7

As the article notes, Bo has won the magical 9 games a year (however I think 11 is the new 9)

How so? 110 out of 120 D1 teams are playing one more game than they did 40 years ago. 10 is the new 9.

i even disagree with this. even though it is easier to get to 9 games that it was 40 years ago, the fact remains that few programs consistently and consecutively hit the 9 win mark. that is what makes it a magically number.

I can agree with that.

I don't get the love for Hoke.

I was thinking the same thing. In the last two years, he is 19-7 while Bo is 19-8. He gets MUCH better recruiting classes, and is 1-1 against Bo. Bo is 7th and Hoke is 3rd. C'mon man.

Hoke recruits well, has put together a stellar staff and turned Michigan around while semi-hamstrung by Robinson. I expect Michigan to be much more formidable now that they have made the transition and are able to implement their own offense. (sound familiar?) I see Hoke as a good coach - not individually - but for the staff that he's put together.

I was thinking the same thing. In the last two years, he is 19-7 while Bo is 19-8. He gets MUCH better recruiting classes, and is 1-1 against Bo. Bo is 7th and Hoke is 3rd. C'mon man.

Hoke is average at best, this year, they will look very very average. They were lucky as could be to get that win vs Northwestern (I am not comparing this to lucky NU wins, just saying that they could have been a 5 loss team last year with ease)Now, they are going to a WCO which usually sucks in college, they are going to make their QB a statue and learn a new offense.

As the article notes, Bo has won the magical 9 games a year (however I think 11 is the new 9)

How so? 110 out of 120 D1 teams are playing one more game than they did 40 years ago. 10 is the new 9.

Over the last decade, we have played 14 games in a season (including post season bowl and CCG)- a few 10-4 seasons wt Bo, Frank had 7-7. Most of the other seasons we played 13 games. Of course the years we didn't go bowling under BC (5-7) we only played 12 games.

Hoke recruits well, has put together a stellar staff and turned Michigan around while semi-hamstrung by Robinson. I expect Michigan to be much more formidable now that they have made the transition and are able to implement their own offense. (sound familiar?) I see Hoke as a good coach - not individually - but for the staff that he's put together.

I just don't get the Hoke love. Hoke inherited a MUCH better Michigan team and has a MUCH easier job recruiting. If were comparing what they were able to do within 2 years to judge their value as a coach, 2010 Michigan > 2007 Nebraska while 2009 Nebraska > 2012 Michigan. That has to mean a little.

Its Michigan - ESPN and other outlets have love fests for Mich and OSU like they do the SEC.

Its Michigan - ESPN and other outlets have love fests for Mich and OSU like they do the SEC.

remember when nd and mich. both sucked and would have epic games and espn would treat it like the national championship even though they both sucked?

Over the last decade, we have played 14 games in a season (including post season bowl and CCG)- a few 10-4 seasons wt Bo, Frank had 7-7. Most of the other seasons we played 13 games. Of course the years we didn't go bowling under BC (5-7) we only played 12 games.

We actually only played 11 games in 2004.

remember when nd and mich. both sucked and would have epic games and espn would treat it like the national championship even though they both sucked?

My point exactly. It seems they cover their bias towards the SEC by throwing love to a select few outside the SEC - even UCLA and USC (Pac 12). There were some UCLA games in the past that I thought they were talking about John Wooden's basketball teams. Speaking of ND, I grew up in S. Dak wt my Dad always wanting to turn on the replay of the ND game after church every Sunday morning. I got really tired of ND - my brother is still today a ND fan. Even in my youth, I had enough sense to be a HUSKER.

You are correct - but I was thinking 2007 - 5 -7 record

I dont see how Bill OBrian and Gary Andersen can be legitimately ranked ahead of Bo. I dont see how Andersen can be ranked ahead of anyone. He hasnt even coached a game in this conference yet. I dont see it.

Anti Bo bias based on their persception of him - they hit on his on field personality - I don't see that mentioned about the other coaches. Quote: "However, he has also had many uncomfortable (and possibly inappropriate) moments with his players on national television" If you had to honestly rank the coaches -

Hard not to place Meyer # 1 based on his season last year - and of course living off of his past glory at UF.

I'm ok wt Fitgerald at # 2 just because he has less (in so many ways) to work with and he's done a great job.

Dantonio next based on performance even wt last years less then expected finish.

I'd place Bo 4th based on performance.

Then Hoke

Obrien (though one season doesn't make a career - but he did great under a big cloud),

etc -

Anderson last as he has no history in the conference

You are correct - but I was thinking 2007 - 5 -7 record

From 196x (Don't remember exact year) until 2005, the regular season for almost all teams was 11 games. We've only had 12 game regular seasons for a few years. Conference championship games have existed longer than 12 game regular seasons.

You can argue that we play 1 more game than we did over that 40 year span. You can also argue that the competition is much, much tougher than it was during that timeframe due to parity. If 9 is the new 11, then nobody meets that standard, because even Bama has won less than 11 games twice in the last 6 years.