Phil Steele says Nebraska will be #17 heading into the season

What does them being a RS Freshman or Sophomore have to do with athleticism and size? Are we not bigger than we were last year? How much experience do you REALLY need to be good at DT? Its really not that of a difficult position. Its not like they have to learn coverage routes, or cover receivers. Their job is simple... Contain, pressure and/or Blitz.

Yikes.

Thad Randle is "average at best"? What do you base this off of? Last year's assessment You do realize he was, literally, playing on one good leg right? 50% at most.

Average, at best. I've seen exactly as much of him over the last three years as you have. He's OK.

You can hope for whatever you'd like. We'll see who is right before long.

• Fire 3

lol you mad bro?

i'm not the negative nancy you claim me to be. if anything i'm a kool aid drinker on this board. last year and this year are the first time i had to slap myself around and wake up. i predicted four losses last year... i'm a realest. sorry you're upset with the reality that i bring.

i'm basing my statement on last year. we got pushed around. and now we're plugging brand new guys in there. are they good? i hear that they are. but they are still young and probably not their ideal size. long story short, you can't talk about national championships with the squad we got on the defensive front.... absolutely not, not until we see them. its just crazy to talk championships with a defensive front that have never seen a college football field yet. you need men at that position to win championships. we have babies (until proven otherwise.)

Just because you predicted 4 losses last year, doesn't make you a realist. I have only been here since last September, and since I have been here, you have had nothing good, or nice to say about Bo, the players or the program. You just seem like one of those people that will be completely unhappy with anything positive in this program, unless we win a national championship.

im a realest because i said we wouldnt have a d line and we didnt. And we got taken behind the woodshed because of it. My posts are real life. I dont spin things.. that sh#t is for the birds. If u catch me laughing at people who said that we contend for conference championships its because we arent contending for conference championships. Im one of the biggest husker fans i know. If u give me a lil to go off of, i mix the kool aid. Sorry u've only been here post melt down.. thats not my fault.

• Fire 2

Bo got his ass handed to him when it counted last year. His teams consistently put the ball on the ground a lot. Plus enough yellow cloth to clothe all of africa. But yeah, im the bad guy.

So it didn't count when we needed to win out in order to secure our spot in the championship game? That didn't count? I thought our record was 10-4 not 4-4.

im a realest because i said we wouldnt have a d line and we didnt.

No wonder our defense sucked. We only played with 7 guys on the field!

• Fire 2

Bo got his ass handed to him when it counted last year. His teams consistently put the ball on the ground a lot. Plus enough yellow cloth to clothe all of africa. But yeah, im the bad guy.

So it didn't count when we needed to win out in order to secure our spot in the championship game? That didn't count? I thought our record was 10-4 not 4-4.

i didn't say they didn't matter did i? don't put words in my mouth. what did we do in the championship game tho? i missed it.

i didn't say they didn't matter did i? don't put words in my mouth. what did we do in the championship game tho? i missed it.

You said he got his ass handed to him when it mattered. The fact that LandLord pointed out is he actually didn't get beat when it mattered last year as much as he won.

You just said we didn't contend for a conference championship when in all actuality I believe we did??????

• Fire 2

Its really not that of a difficult position. Its not like they have to learn coverage routes, or cover receivers. Their job is simple... Contain, pressure and/or Blitz. Thad Randle is "average at best"? What do you base this off of? Last year's assessment You do realize he was, literally, playing on one good leg right? 50% at most.

You keep saying it's not that difficult, but like anything you get better with experience. Obviously pure physical abilities (i.e. size, speed, stength, agility) are a major part of playing on the line, especially strength and size, but there's a lot more to it than contain and pressure. The new guys should have the physical talent but they are lacking in the gameday experience and everything that comes with it.

Just a taste of what it's like for a D linemen off the snap. Recongnize the block as either a run block or pass block. If it's a pass type block or you're released check inside and make sure you're not about to get blown up on a trap play. If you're chipped or released too easily recongize that it's probably a screen. If you're man pulls get on his hip and follow him to the ball carrier. If it's a run block attack the V of the neck and locate the ball and maintain your gap. That's everything I can remember from high school football and it all happens in about a second. I'm sure there's a lot more to know at the college level. You can be told all this and tested out on it, but the only way you're going to be any good at it is by getting physical game time experience, which they are lacking.

Um...I mean, you know that I quoted you right? Like what you typed verbatim? You said "Bo got his ass handed to him when it counted last year". Now, I know you weren't being literal, because nobody handed Bo his own donkey during important moments of his life, but the sentence you used quite in fact explains that if a game counted, Bo lost.

By my estimation, we played 14 games that counted. 8 of them were conference games. Of the 14, we won 10. Of the 8, we won 7. So, by any definition of 'counted', your statement is incorrect.

Is this really not making sense to you?

• Fire 2

You just said we didn't contend for a conference championship when in all actuality I believe we did??????

8FxEa.gif

Did we or did we not play in the B1G championship game? Did we or did we not have the best record out of the postseason eligible teams in the Big 10?

Bo squeezed a lot out of the guys he had, it just wasn't enough and it definitely didn't help when Steinkuhler went down against Iowa.

Did we or did we not play in the B1G championship game? Did we or did we not have the best record out of the postseason eligible teams in the Big 10?

Bo squeezed a lot out of the guys he had, it just wasn't enough and it definitely didn't help when Steinkuhler went down against Iowa.

96348997.jpg

With him being a realist, you would think he would realize these things, but I guess he doesn't understand the definition of what a "realist" is. Being a realist, doesn't mean you always point out the negatives, that is why he is not one. He has no factual information to state that our defensive line is going to be a "pushover", besides previous DL we have had in the past, that was thrown together and COMPLETELY undersized. When your playing a 260lb DE as a DT, especially in the B1G, expect trouble in that spot. Oh, and to add on top of it, we are only year two under our DL Coach, Kaz. A realism takes these things into perspective. I guess we will be less talented and smaller than we were last year, though /sarcasm