The Something Store

I'm sure Tosh.0 has some talent behind it, but I am not sure why watching a guy comment on youtube videos is that big of a hit.

This $10 thing sounds interesting but of course, what's "$10 value"? Totally arbitrary. It could be two bottles of water bought in the right venue.

Did anyone else order something from these guys?

I placed my order May 5th, meaning the first business day of the order was May 6th, last Monday. It still hasn't shipped yet. I get that they're probably trying to get this shipped to me as cheaply as possible since, allegedly, they're eating shipping costs on this thing, but over one full business week simply to put this thing in the mail? That's a little much.

Well, this is boring. I figured there'd be something fun here, but it's just a giant case of the yawns. My "something" hasn't shipped yet, and customer service hasn't responded to two emails asking what's up. The website says your something will ship in seven days. Even if 5/6 didn't count since that was the day I placed the order, Wednesday (5/15) would have been the seventh business day, and their self-imposed deadline for shipping.

I did some googling and found this guy's account of his experience with The Something Store. Sounds oddly familiar...

ICToys.com <---- The guy writing this stuff

« on: June 29, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »

http://www.something....com/index.html

I just ran across this tonight. I wasn't sure exactly where to post it, but this seems as good a place as any, since when you are selling an anonymous something, it's all about marketing, right? :h0161

And, I've gotta confess . . . I think I need something. :h0161

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 01:25:51 AM »

I ordered Something.

It says it will ship within 7 days, but hopefully it will be sooner than that!

I'll let y'all know when my Something arrives! ;)

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »

Had I not been in the biz, I'm not sure if I'd have bought. Apparently it's not like a BOC in that you don't have a chance of getting a printer or TV or Something Big.

But, IMO, they've done a great job marketing what BF pointed out is a very old concept - the grab bag.

I think the website is very well done.

I want to see the follow through . . . .

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 02:14:28 AM »

My Something just now shipped.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »

I'll post pics.

While they did say that the item would ship within 7 days and they met that goal, the part of me in the biz wants to know why it took until the wee hours of July 4th to ship Something ordered in the wee hours of June 29th. (And I checked the DC number - they didn't print the label until July 4th, so it won't actually ship until Saturday or Monday.) Since I ordered Something - not Something specific - it shouldn't be an OOS issue. If they are just backlogged, they need to work on a better plan before the start of Q4.

I KNOW I am picky about this. We ship 99.9% of our orders no later than next business day.

My role model for shipping is Uline - same day shipping for all orders placed by 6pm. They've never missed yet. I can call at 5:55 pm and my pallet of boxes shows up magically at the warehouse the next biz day. :h0161 (I talked to the freight driver about it - he says they pick up every night at 9pm.)

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 12:53:57 PM »

Still waiting for my "something" . . .

. . . tapping foot . . .

The DC number shows only that they electronically notified the PO that it would be shipped on 7/4/08.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »

I'm still waiting.

Got an email from Google Checkout asking me to rate my experience. They really don't want me to do that right now. It's been over two weeks.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 11:39:52 PM »

I bought "something" because I was impressed with the website and the marketing and wanted to see what the follow through was.

I am obviously way underwhelmed on that score.

1) Why do you need a week to ship "something"? I mean, it's not like it's a custom or hand made item. It's hard to contemplate how one could have OOS issues, either.

2) Don't print my shipping label on a holiday and then wait days to mail it and expect me to count that as mailing shipping within 7 days. I am curious to see when they actually DID mail it, if it ever arrives. They are located in NY - our USPS items generally make it there within 3 business days. I suppose that this could be one of the very small percentage it items that are actually lost by the USPS but don't expect a lot of sympathy from me regarding that when you sit on my order for a week or more before shipping.

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 12:03:14 AM »

I should be a two day freight delivery from NY.

Although, it would make me much more satisfied with the transaction. :0240

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 01:08:05 AM »

Update:

I just checked the DC number and my Something was in Jax yesterday.

I don't think they even shipped it on the 8th. My best guess is that it shipped sometime late in the week.

The good news is that it should finally be here on Monday - Tuesday at the latest.

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 08:46:50 AM »

It shipped USPS - and their volume isn't even close enough to qualified for trailer shipping.

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 08:50:31 AM »

somethings have been ordered since 10/28/07

So less than 2000 since I ordered mine over two weeks ago. I know that 2000 orders in two weeks is nothing to sneeze at but it's not even close to trailer load capacity. Well, it's not even close to trailer load capacity if you are shipping on even a semi regular basis. :0771

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »

It actually arrived yesterday - we had a replacement carrier who put it in our box - more than two weeks after ordering.

It's a little dollar store toy - I'll take a pic after we do mail.

My gripe isn't that it's a dollar store toy - my gripe is that an item I ordered on June 29th didn't actually ship until at least July 8th.

If you can't handle your volume, quit advertising until you catch up. (I found them via a google ad at gmail.)

LINK if you want to read the whole thread. It's from an e-commerce forum. Sounds exciting! :D

So far this last post describes my experience with this company as well. The point of this "something" delivery is that it should be fun. The mystery behind the process makes up for whatever piece of recycled rubber dog S you get from them. Because I really don't need some $10 mystery item - it's the anticipation of it and wondering what you'll get that's the fun.

But waiting for over two weeks, with no reply from customer service... meh. That's not fun.

This is exactly why I waited on placing an order.

You are a wise man. Finally got a response from customer service. Turns out they've been bombarded with orders after the site was featured on Tosh (which is why I ordered from them), and their seven-day shipping promise is now out to two or three weeks. My item is slated to ship sometime in the next 7-10 days.

If I had a dime for every time I've been screwed over by Daniel Tosh...

I placed my order the same day as you did Knapp (Because of this thread). It shipped today so we'll see if I get the same thing as you.

I should add that I hope that other's orders ship today, because I hate when I do something and then others follow suit and they get theirs before I get mine. I don't want to be that guy.

They told me in that email from a couple days ago that orders placed on 5/4-5/6 would ship out on 5/18-5/20, and arrive sometime today through Thursday.

Unfortunately, my tracking email says it still hasn't shipped. Maybe it's shipped and they haven't updated their system. Who knows.

EDIT - as of 2:45 this afternoon, it shipped. I'll post pics when it arrives.

This is exactly why I waited on placing an order.

You are a wise man. Finally got a response from customer service. Turns out they've been bombarded with orders after the site was featured on Tosh (which is why I ordered from them), and their seven-day shipping promise is now out to two or three weeks. My item is slated to ship sometime in the next 7-10 days.

If I had a dime for every time I've been screwed over by Daniel Tosh...

You can take it up with him in person on June 3rd