Redskins will "never" change name

• 3 months later...

Lawmakers warn NFL about Redskins

Two members of Congress will send a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday, telling him to publicly announce support for a name change -- and that the NFL can no longer ignore the issue.

The letter, obtained by multiple media outlets, was written by Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.). Cantwell is chairman of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, while Cole is a senior member of the appropriations committee -- and a member of the Chickasaw Nation.

"The National Football League can no longer ignore this and perpetuate the use of this name as anything but what it is: a racial slur," the letter stated.

Cantwell told the newspaper the Indian Affairs Committee would "definitely" examine the NFL's tax-exempt status as a means to apply pressure.

"You're getting a tax break for educational purposes, but you're still embracing a name that people see as a slur and encouraging it," Cantwell told The New York Times.

The letter reiterated that stance, telling the NFL it's on the "wrong side of history." That's why, it stated, the NFL should "take a formal position in support of a name change."

I've seen a lot of graphic artists come up with new logo/name suggestions for Washington. A few of them (Renegades, Red Tails, etc.) would allow them to keep making some of their fan gear with the script "R" logo on it. Seems like a pretty easy thing to change, IMO.

People need to quit being so sensitive. The team has had this name for so long that I think the negative connotation is hardly even associated with it anymore. I don't think twice about it being an insult to people when it's said. To me it is nothing more than a team name, which I imagine is how most people feel. It's not like they're called the N words or something.

People need to quit being so sensitive. The team has had this name for so long that I think the negative connotation is hardly even associated with it anymore. I don't think twice about it being an insult to people when it's said. To me it is nothing more than a team name, which I imagine is how most people feel. It's not like they're called the N words or something.

Except for the people it is offending......

• Fire 4

People will always find something to be "offended" by. I guess this is just an instance where the voice of the few overwhelms the voice of the many.

People will always find something to be "offended" by. I guess this is just an instance where the voice of the few overwhelms the voice of the many.

I don't think this issue is one of those "instances"

Maybe my perception is wrong, but it seems to me there are lot more people wanting to keep the name than there are people complaining about it and asking for a change. I personally don't know anyone who is offended by it and I know a reasonable amount of people who are part native american. Like I said though, maybe my perception is wrong and might be different if I lived closer to Washington.

There are a great many instances where the voice of the few ought to override the voice of the many. The default state is one of indifference or insensitivity; without advocacy the mere inertia of the many steamrolls over the few. As the United States is a country set up to provide equal treatment by law for all and not set up for tyranny by majority, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Not too sure how any of the above has to do with the Redskins issue, however. I still think there will come a time where we as a society let go of the use of words such as 'redskin' in popular culture, just as "orientals" today sounds like it came out of a 19th century newspaper article.

Maybe my perception is wrong, but it seems to me there are lot more people wanting to keep the name than there are people complaining about it and asking for a change. I personally don't know anyone who is offended by it and I know a reasonable amount of people who are part native american. Like I said though, maybe my perception is wrong and might be different if I lived closer to Washington.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that there are decidedly more people demanding for the change than demanding that it not be changed. You may be correct in that a great number of people couldn't care less what the name is but I think their ignorance towards racial slurs could be enlightened if they took a few minutes and understood that it doesn't just refer to the perceived color of a Native American's skin color. Which in itself is ridiculous.