Let's alter the attitude, not the scheme of our Defense

Some of them should never have gotten them the last few years. Just being a starter was not the criteria. You had to be bad ass, leaving it on the field every single play. Earn them, get them. We have not had a Black Shirt defense since 2009.

I agree we have lost some attitude. Taylor had a couple of sacks last year, that an 90's Olineman would have killed the other player afterwards. Not as close knit maybe. I do not know that as a fact, just seems that way to me.

Tom could get the talent, because big old Dlinemen and Olinemen wanted to come to Nebraska. They lived to be here. Now they walk on some place else or take a scholarship at StinkU. Today, the college football coaches know a lot more about a potential recruit than we did back then. And they know a lot more players. The rankings systems help these kids get noticed, the media moves them up and the schools see the tapes far easier.

Different day, different game in every aspect. I think Bo works to keep the program clean, out of trouble, kids graduating. Where at some other places if they get busted, next man up, they have that level of talent. We seem to be getting good kids, but not the number of great athletes. I am hoping the Big Red weekend changes the current recruiting cycle. We are way behind Michigan and Ohio State and this year seems like we are falling farther.

Tom could get the talent, because big old Dlinemen and Olinemen wanted to come to Nebraska. They lived to be here. Now they walk on some place else or take a scholarship at StinkU.

Name some players with Nebraska scholarship offers who have walked on at "some place else."

I think our biggest problems are accountability, leadership and most important of all - talent. It's easier to build an offense than it is a defense, but I've always felt a great defense is too good of a payoff to ignore.

Accountability and leadership go hand-in-hand. Players said there wasn't enough leadership. If I'm not mistaken, didn't one of the players admit that either he or another member of the defense didn't even know the names of some of the starters or other defensive contributors? How does that happen on defense, where communciation is absolutely crucial?

As far as talent, the 2008 recruiting class was a rough group, with players floating in the range from below-average to good. The group of players Pelini had to work with the first two years were significantly better than the last two years, and it showed. And whether it's scheme, coaching, or a combination of the two, we apparently don't yet have what it takes to make up for talent deficiencies.

I'm gonna hold out judgement until these passed two, more talented classes of recruits cycles through for a couple years. We know Bo can coach D. We know his way works when he has the talent to do so-which by the way is the case for every single coach in every single sport at every single level in the country, outside of Bill Snyder.

Sker's fan. Our 2010 defense was pretty blackshirt worthy as well. I know that unit gets overshadowed by Suh the year before a lot, but that 2010 unit was very solid outside a fluke game down in Stillwater and a bad quarter against Oklahoma.