Athlon Ranks the AP-Era Dynasties; 1990s Nebraska #2

Greatest AP-Era Dynasties  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

but many forget how dominant the Big 8/12 was back then. We were the "SEC".

The Big 8 happened to be pretty damn good around that stretch in the 90's, but this statement is an incredibly exaggerated claim. The Big 8 was Nebraska and Oklahoma and everyone else. In the 90's it was Nebraska and everyone else. Colorado, Kansas and Kansas State were all pretty good at the time, but Colorado was the only one that EVER won anything of significance.

And the SEC isn't the same way? Its Alabama and LSU for them. Florida and Georgia maybe, but they haven't won anything of significance either.

Doesn't Florida have 2 of the 7 straight BCS Championships won by the SEC?

Yes. The amount of homerism/irrational thought in IHNN's comments is truly mind-boggling.

I am so very sorry, from my understanding, we were talking about the Alabama dynasty which started in 2009. Since ALABAMA's dynasty, Florida has been absent, LSU has had two good years, one of them winning the BCS Championship, Auburn won by paying their players to stay and no one else really has done nothing. Here is a list of both dynasties, and where their opponents ranked at the end of the year, according the the AP Ranking. Obviously you couldn't use BCS's flawed rankings for the first half of the Husker's dynasty.

2009- Defeated 3 ranked teams prior to BCS game.

VT-#10

FL Int-NR

North Texas- NR

Arkansas-NR

Kentucky-NR

Ole Miss-NR

South Carolina-NR

Tennessee-NR

LSU-#17

Miss State-NR

Tenn-Chatt- NR

Auburn-NR

Florida-#3

Texas-#2

2010- Defeated 3 ranked teams prior to bowl game.

SJSU-NR

Penn St-NR

Duke-NR

Arkansas-#12

Florida-NR

South Carolina-#22-Loss

Ole Miss-NR

Tennessee-NR

LSU-#8-Loss

Miss St-#15

Georgia St-NR

Auburn-#1-Loss

Mich St-#9

2011- Defeated 1 ranked team prior to BCS game.

Kent St-NR

Penn St-NR

N. Texas-NR

Arkansas-#5

Florida-NR

Vandy-NR

Ole Miss-NR

Tenn- NR

LSU-#2-Loss

Miss St-NR

Georgia Southern-NR

Auburn-NR

LSU-#2

2012- Defeated 3 ranked teams prior to BCS game.

Michigan-#24

WKU-NR

Arkansas-NR

Florida Atlantic-NR

Ole Miss-NR

Missouri-NR

Tennessee-NR

Miss St-NR

LSU-#14

Texas A&M-#6-Loss

W Carolina-NR

Auburn-NR

Georgia-#5

Notre Dame-#4

1993- Defeated 4 Ranked opponents before BCS game

N Texas-NR

Texas Tech-NR

UCLA-#18

Colorado St-NR

Oklahoma St-NR

Kansas St-#20

Missouri-NR

Colorado-#16

Kansas-NR

Iowa St-NR

Oklahoma-#17

Florida St-#1-Loss

1994-Defeated 1 ranked team prior to BCS Game

West Virginia-NR

Texas Tech-NR

UCLA-NR

Pacific-NR

Wyoming-NR

Oklahoma St-NR

Kansas St-NR

Missouri-NR

Colorado-#3

Kansas-NR

Iowa St-NR

Oklahoma-NR

Miami-#6

1995-Defeated 3 ranked teams, all top 10 prior to BCS Game

Oklahoma St-NR

Michigan St-NR

Arizona St-NR

Pacific-NR

Washington St-NR

Missouri-NR

Kansas St-#7

Colorado-#5

Iowa St-NR

Kansas-#9

Oklahoma-NR

Florida-#2

1996- We didn't defeat one ranked oppenent prior to the bowl game.

Michigan St-NR

Arizona St-#4-Loss

Colorado St-NR

Kansas St-#17

Baylor-NR

Texas Tech-NR

Kansas-NR

Oklahoma-NR

Missouri-NR

Iowa St-NR

Colorado-NR

Texas-#23-Loss

Virginia Tech-#13

1997- We defeated 4 ranked opponents before our BCS game

Akron-NR

Central Fl-NR

Washington-#18

Kansas St-#8

Baylor-NR

Texas Tech-NR

Kansas-NR

Oklahoma-NR

Missouri-#23

Iowa St-NR

Colorado-NR

Texas A&M-#20

Tennessee-#7

I fail to see how their road to win their BCS Championship games were much harder than ours.

All together we defeated 17 ranked opponents, 8 being top 10 and only losing to 3 teams.

Alabama defeated 13 ranked opponents, 8 being top 10 and losing 5 games.

• Fire 4

I am so very sorry, from my understanding, we were talking about the Alabama dynasty which started in 2009. Since ALABAMA's dynasty, Florida has been absent, LSU has had two good years, one of them winning the BCS Championship, Auburn won by paying their players to stay and no one else really has done nothing. Here is a list of both dynasties, and where their opponents ranked at the end of the year, according the the AP Ranking. Obviously you couldn't use BCS's flawed rankings for the first half of the Husker's dynasty.

I fail to see how their road to win their BCS Championship games were much harder than ours

No idea what all that mess in the middle is, but seriously, what are you talking about?

Florida wasn't present? Florida played Alabama in the SEC Championship game in 2009 to determine who would play for the title. They finished 13-1, and won the whole thing the year before.

LSU won a championship during Alabama's dynasty? No they haven't. They won one in 2007, and played for it against Bama in 2011. Haven't won any. Auburn still won, regardless of disclaimers until decided otherwise by the NCAA.

LSU has not won a natty since 2007.

Well I am corrected, they have had one good year.

Ok, since '09, where has Florida been? The SEC hasn't been this Godly like conference. ALABAMA and LSU has been the heavy weights, with the exception of Auburn buying their way into the BCS game. Its been proven, even though Scam Newton declines he had any knowing. Their conference is no different that what ours was when we were dominating. The only difference, is we won most of our games and had much of a better streak doing it.

Sorry, I guess, I was going off the top of my head, not trying decieve anyone. KSU finished top ten I believe a couple more times in the late 90's if you want to look it up. The point still stands though, there were some good teams in the bit 8/12 that Nebraska was playing at the time.

I am in agreement with you, there were good teams. However, the difference, as I see it, is that the SEC has had 2-4 championship caliber teams every year, while the Big 8 had 2-4 good, top 15-20 teams. Big difference there.

Sorry, I guess, I was going off the top of my head, not trying decieve anyone. KSU finished top ten I believe a couple more times in the late 90's if you want to look it up. The point still stands though, there were some good teams in the bit 8/12 that Nebraska was playing at the time.

I am in agreement with you, there were good teams. However, the difference, as I see it, is that the SEC has had 2-4 championship caliber teams every year, while the Big 8 had 2-4 good, top 15-20 teams. Big difference there.

Really? 94 and 95 Colorado was considered national championship caliber. In fact I believe they were ranked above NU when they played in 94 that being the year that CU beat Michigan on that hail mary pass at the end of the game. KSU only needed to beat A&M in the big 12 championship game in 98 and they were in the BCS title game. If you think the SEC is tougher than the old big 8/12 back in the 90's I am not going to convince you.

Really? 94 and 95 Colorado was considered national championship caliber. In fact I believe they were ranked above NU when they played in 94 that being the year that CU beat Michigan on that hail mary pass at the end of the game. KSU only needed to beat A&M in the big 12 championship game in 98 and they were in the BCS title game. If you think the SEC is tougher than the old big 8/12 back in the 90's I am not going to convince you.

Colorado was considered that good in '96 as well. Colorado and Nebraska of them 3 years was similar to what Bama and LSU are right now and what NU/OU was back in the day. A perennial top 5/10 matchup.

Colorado was considered that good in '96 as well. Colorado and Nebraska of them 3 years was similar to what Bama and LSU are right now and what NU/OU was back in the day. A perennial top 5/10 matchup.

I wasn't going to bring up 96 because NU didn't win the title. I was at the CU/NU game in 96. CU was ranked 5 or 6. Cold rainy game.

Alabama's run is impressive but it is flawed. Between rematch games, losing at home and finishing 3rd in their conference....

Then there is Nebraska and beating ranked teams on the road with a 3rd string qb, dealing with their top RB's legal issues and subsequent media attacks about their coach's character, playing all of their NT games in the enemies back yard, being screwed out of title by horrendous officiating...and yet still winning 3 undefeated season titles in 4 years.

Is this really a question?

• Fire 2

I wasn't going to bring up 96 because NU didn't win the title. I was at the CU/NU game in 96. CU was ranked 5 or 6. Cold rainy game.

1995 Final AP Football Pol LINK

#1 Nebraska

#5 Colorado

#7 Kansas State

#9 Kansas

Yeah, the Big 8 had some good years in the 90s. The Big 8 in 1995 is about as good as a conference has ever done in college football.

We can all make points to justify our stance on this topic, but what it really comes down too is who goes home with a national title, and who doesn't. Huskers took home three in a span. Bama can take four or more.

20 years from now no one will know the little details of the seasons and will only know who was the best during those seasons. If Bama keeps winning they will go down as prolly the best.