U.S. Justice Dept Obtains Wide AP Phone Records in Probe

This is quite troubling, especially following on the heels of the revelation that the IRS has been targeting specific groups:

Justice Department Obtains Wide AP Phone Records in Probe

The records obtained by the Justice Department listed outgoing calls for the work and personal phone numbers of individual reporters, general AP office numbers in New York, Washington and Hartford, Conn., and the main number for AP reporters in the House of Representatives press gallery, according to attorneys for the AP. It was not clear if the records also included incoming calls or the duration of calls.

In a letter of protest sent to Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday, AP President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Pruitt said the government sought and obtained information far beyond anything that could be justified by any specific investigation. He demanded the return of the phone records and destruction of all copies.

"There can be no possible justification for such an overbroad collection of the telephone communications of the Associated Press and its reporters. These records potentially reveal communications with confidential sources across all of the newsgathering activities undertaken by the AP during a two-month period, provide a road map to AP's newsgathering operations, and disclose information about AP's activities and operations that the government has no conceivable right to know," Mr. Pruitt said.

Pruitt's wrong.

Reporter privilege, the right to protect their source doesn't exist in the US.

According to whom? It has been an accepted stance forever.

This is a violation of the 1st. This is an attempt to intimidate the press to control the flow of information. And any sources would be protected under whistle blower laws.

Pruitt's wrong.

This is a violation of the 1st. This is an attempt to intimidate the press to control the flow of information. And any sources would be protected under whistle blower laws.

As if this administration gives a damn about Constitutional Rights........

Pruitt's wrong.

From a criminal law stance, Someone is correct. There have been several well publicized cases of journalists being jailed (for contempt) for not revealing sources.

I'll withhold judgment until the subpoenas are revealed. We don't really know what they're looking for and why.

I would like to know the reasoning for obtaining these records. Generally speaking, authorities must believe (reasonable suspicion) that the subject is involved in some type of criminal enterprise. Seems like a very broad net being cast.

I am sure that any current or potential sources are now running scared. Will be interesting to see how the press responds to this intrusion.

It is also interesting to read this little gem about the immigration bill. A national database will be established containing PII (personal identifying information) and photos from issued government ID's.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Immigration-Reform-Biometric-Database/2013/05/12/id/504014

I am all for a more secure America, but not at the expense of our personal freedoms and rights. To quote Biden, "that the republic is not in jeopardy and there’s no reason for us to jettison the Constitution and erect a police state in order to protect people. The moment we change, they win.”

Practice what you preach seems appropriate yet again for this administration. We were promised the most transparent of administrations but we seem to be getting Paint it Black ala the Stones. Bills to be made public, with time to read them before votes? Nope. Benghazi investigations still being hampered and resisted and what is being revealed is only confirming original suspicions. IRS hassling political adversaries. Now the Justice department getting over zealous and likely over stepping reasonable boundaries. Why do I get the feeling there is a Gestapo guy hiding behind my couch? Transparent my ass. They think we are sheep. Obama still saying the right things but we need to look at the actual actions and ignore the smoke blowing rhetoric. Hint- what is actually happening is not transparent and is not good.

Practice what you preach seems appropriate yet again for this administration. We were promised the most transparent of administrations but we seem to be getting Paint it Black ala the Stones. Bills to be made public, with time to read them before votes? Nope. Benghazi investigations still being hampered and resisted and what is being revealed is only confirming original suspicions. IRS hassling political adversaries. Now the Justice department getting over zealous and likely over stepping reasonable boundaries. Why do I get the feeling there is a Gestapo guy hiding behind my couch? Transparent my ass. They think we are sheep. Obama still saying the right things but we need to look at the actual actions and ignore the smoke blowing rhetoric. Hint- what is actually happening is not transparent and is not good.

I didn't know the Executive branch was responsible for preparing bills...

I didn't know the Executive branch was responsible for preparing bills...

They aren't but that has nothing to do with the promise Obama made about posting them and allowing five days for public comment before he signs them into law. I'm not the one breaking campaign promises about having the most open and transparent administration.

That "transparency" we were promised certainly hasn't been obvious, has it? My takeaway from that campaign promise was that this administration was going to make everything more open, more honest, less big-brother like. That certainly hasn't happened.

To a degree, the constant attacks from the Right do not help this process. But it's not like this administration is tripping all over themselves to disseminate information, either.

That "transparency" we were promised certainly hasn't been obvious, has it? My takeaway from that campaign promise was that this administration was going to make everything more open, more honest, less big-brother like. That certainly hasn't happened.

To a degree, the constant attacks from the Right do not help this process. But it's not like this administration is tripping all over themselves to disseminate information, either.

The funny thing is that the administration has tried to make the transparency thing a big issue at the levels no one cares about. For example, a friend of mine does surveys for websites, where the user describes what they like and dislike about the site. And ALL of the federal administrations are required to implement these surveys and to release the data collected for "transparency" purposes. And I just think... man, that is NOT what people thought you meant when you said you wanted transparency.

• Fire 1

What attacks form the Right are you talking about that causes the administration to be less transparent? Personally, I think this is one of those campaign promises that the candidate knows it's hog wash the second it leaves his mouth. If not, then he was very naive until he got into office and then all of a sudden decided he couldn't be an open book.

Attacks like the Birther nonsense. There have been several similar, we've discussed them here, it's not like I need to provide a list. Nor is it as if I'm saying that this gives the Administration a free pass to withhold transparency. Didn't say that before and I'm not saying that now. It's just that, if you're constantly under attack throughout your term, it is somewhat more understandable that you wouldn't be as transparent as you promised.

Again, stressing, this does not excuse the failed campaign promise.