Taylor Martinez 2013 discussion - running tougher? better decisions in the pocket?

Are some people trying to argue that T-mart is not good? I totally cant figure this thread out!

Are we reading the same thread? Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any shots at Martinez suggesting he is not good?

Maybe I am skimming it quickly but it seems like there are the old "T-Mart should not have been starting" type of thing, who knows.

I get what you are saying, but no I don't think that is the vibe in this thread. At least that's my perception.

Guys. Does anyone in the entire coutry really have "depth" at the qb position as some here are suggesting that we dont have? I mean seriously, is there anyone in the country that's going to be as good with their #2 qb after injury as they were with #1. Even '94 Nebraska wasnt as good with Berringer instead of Frazier. We're not the only team in the country that would have issues if our #1 qb goes down for an extended period of time for whatever the reason. Looking back on the 2010 season, I think it's safe to say that a hobbled Martinez gave us a better chance to win than a healthy, deer-in-the-headlights Cody Green. Martinez wouldve been serviceable as a hobbled qb had the playcalling not been so erratically incompetent.

Ummm.....no. Cody Green was more than serviceable and gave us much better chance vs aTm. Hell, Z.Lee was healthy enough to manage the offense in that game. No they weren't the play makers that Martinez was (healthy) but Martinez was no better than any QB in the nation after the injury in 2010. I can't remember which game Martinez came back in at QB replacing either Green/Lee and the defense was heard screaming (even on the TV) for a blitz because Martinez couldn't move around and his passing played defense on itself.

Cody green was melting down like everyone else in College Station that night. Cody Green just didnt have the mentality. The skills, yes, but not the mentality.

I don't think melting down was the case for anyone in that game. There was a lot of things going wrong in that game that had nothing to do with what the Huskers were doing. I'm not much of a conspiracy man, but watching that game seriously made me wonder if there was really something going on. Every single time the huskers made a great play or was gaining momentum, a questionable flag appeared. Yet, the most penalized team in the league all of a sudden became extra disciplined and only left with 2 penalties.

Regardless, calmer heads have to prevail. Bo melted down. Ben Cotton melted down. The team melted down. Cody Green proceeded to sh#t his pants.

Taylor Martinez was recruited to play qb. He brought here to play qb. He is the type of qb Bo has envisioned. He knows that is the most difficult to stop in college ball. He played WR for the scout team as a true frosh in '09 that I know of. That's where the WR perception came from. He was never going to be a WR however.

That is true. Calmer heads do have to prevail. All I'm saying is that Cody Green was not experiencing another situation similar to what he saw again Oklahoma. Green came in and like the rest of the team was at the mercy of the zebra's. It wasn't that he was shook in College Station.

And Taylor was not recruited to play QB. He was recruited as an ATH as the Pelini's liked his athleticism and wanted him as a DB, but gave a promise to give him a look at QB. Remember Carl was his lead lead. Bo followed up with that promise 100 fold. No D-1 program in the nation was going to give him a chance at QB, including the programs in his area (UCLA/USC/San Diego St/etc). Our QB for the class was brought in by Sean Watson (Cody Green). And yes, on the scout team he started out as a DB/WR. Eventually just staying on the offensive side of the ball because his athleticism was a mismatch to even out talent secondary. This is where some figured he'd be the following season. Being that the offense performed so terrible the previous season Bo needed a playmaker to spark the offense and who else would you choose to try out other than the scout team MVP and recruit who you already promised an opportunity at QB. The rest is, as they say,.......history.

Taylor has already stated that he will run the ball, and run harder, not be afraid to take hits, since there is a depth now at the QB position.

As far as Armstrong goes, Beck stated that he will clearly be the #2 QB coming out of fall camp. The kid has all the intangibles to be successful.

LOL that's priceless. we don't have depth at qb that would imply we have backups who have a lot of playing time which we don't. Just because we have more players at the back up spot for qb's isn't depth. The way we run the offense and if Martinez goes down and we don't change the offense for the less experienced qb's. the season won't amount to much.

I am just saying what Taylor said. Call it priceless, or whatever you want to float your boat. We don't have depth? We have depth, just not experienced depth. This year, we have 4 QB's who could start at any other schools. I think our offense would be just as dangerous with RKIII or Armstrong in, and actually I think it would bring more versatility to our offense with Armstrong in. Our passing game would be a bigger threat, and our rushing game would be just as it still is, a huge threat. Why would we change the offense for the "less" experienced QBs? Those two backups know the offense, and know it quite well, especially RKIII.

If RK3 was as good as you say he would've seen more game time especially in the blowout losses. just everytime we get a qb there is so much uproar on how good he will be and then when they play we find out they aren't as good. High school is different from college. You can't expect Armstrong to know the offense like Martinez thus you need to simplify it.

Thanks for the help with the edits.....I should have proof read it before sending but hey it's a message board..

Your Edits:

-I don't know why I put he red shirted that season. Brain fart on my end.....

-Green didn't fumble the ball any more than the starter did. Try again. #1

-Lee was NOT injured that entire season. He sat out one practice after the original report of his injury. He stated at the end of the season that he was fine by the time the next game came. If you are going to put "injured" next to his name then you should do the same for Green both years. He pulled a groin muscle in 2010 and 2009 he got dinged up in practice just before the start of conference play.#2

-I understand the Carnes situation. I'm not arguing that. But he was still on roster and on scholarship, which is all I was pointing out in this post

-I put Marsh at 5th string because it was obvious to most everyone around the program that if Martinez went down, that Armstrong's red shirt would be pulled and he was trusted to take over before Kellogg. That would make Marsh the 5th option. Then again, it would make him the 4th because Carnes was moved out to WR...#3

-Marsh....yea another brain fart....I was just typing and threw his name in there.

-Pretty premature on Stanton....really? What do you KNOW about Stanton that says he will do anything other than red shirt...He's coming off a season ending injury. He will arrive on campus just before fall camp, there will be 3 scholarship QBs on campus who have been in the playbook for at least a season. 2 of them are equally as good an athlete, 1 is a 3 year starter. Every conversation about next season at this point is "premature" in that case.

-RF & TB....are they scholarship QBs or walk ons........there were walk ons on the other seasons also, but I chose to focus on just the "scholarship" QBs as they are more likely to make the depth chart and see the field.

What is the difference of THIS YEAR from the previous years as far as the depth.......none of the current back ups have significant playing time if any, just a bunch of hype by media/coaches/fans for the most part yet you say that it is QUALITY dept but say we have no depth in the previous years when the situation was the EXACT SAME most years, except 2010 where you had 3 QBs whom all had at least 4 games of starting experience by the end of the season. Common sense tells me you didn't think that comment out before trying to use it suggest I have no common sense in my logic...... ;)#4

#1- True, but Green COULDN'T perform and do what our starter could, so what is your point? Green collapsed every time he had the opportunity to shine. He had the opportunity to make up for his mistakes and couldn't, like Martinez was and has been able too.

#2- Lee's elbow injury lingered his whole Senior year, that is why you saw Green in against TAMU, and not Lee. This is something even the coaches said, when asked about it. When you did see Lee in, you could tell he isn't what he use to be, not because of a lack of skill, but because of that lingering elbow injury.

#3- How do you think we would have pulled Armstrong's RS? Would we have been the first college that played a QB that was in a wheelchair?

#4- No, your obviously just trying to find something to argue about. If you really think we had depth before this year, you really need to stop drinking the kool-aid. Where did we have QUALITY depth at QB before this year? Who have we had that could come close to what Armstrong or RKIII are? I have already explained why Armstrong and RKIII are quality backups. The difference between these two QB's and the others we have had, they are still being talked about by the coaches. RKIII knows how to read defenses, who do you think gives Martinez the plays on checks? Armstrong is repeatidly being talked about that he will clearly be the #2 starter, and the coaches are excited about it. Just because someone doesn't have in-game experience, that doesn't mean they aren't a "quality" backup. If you can't tell there is a difference between this year, and the other years that Taylor has been our starter, than I am pretty much wasting my time in a response anyway.

1. No arguing that. Green was not the athlete Martinez was, but he was no slouch. And he didn't exactly get the "red carpet" when he was inserted into games. Being put in one the 2 yard line as a true freshman who has admitted he only KNEW 15 plays during fall camp.....how is that a fair opportunity to shine. But when given a week and a game plan centered around his skill set, he won the games (obviously with the exception of OU, where as he was taken out because he showed that he was yet a true freshman). C'mon man. Again you are making it seem like Green was a the biggest bum we put at the position. He was more than serviceable and quite frankly never got a fair shot to show he can be the guy. He definitely didn't get the same opportunity and/or leash that Martinez received.

2. Many want to blame Lee's inability to be great on an elbow injury that he announced after a horrible season. Funny how none of this came out the whole season. Even players didn't know nothing about it til the announcement. When did he get this injury. During the VT game? That was his first horrible showing. Where was that injury when he put up 55 on the Louisiana Rajin' Cajans? Was it the Mizzou game. Maybe the injury aided his glorious comeback in the 4th quarter. Funny how his best showings were against Sun Belt teams and he struggled in every conference game but NO ONE knows anything about the injury, and no one points out that he's looking a be favoring an elbow in any game all year. Now he could have had a injury, at some point, hell he got surgery for it. Next year he should be fine. He's participating in 7 on 7s in the summer. Tells the media he's feeling great, very close to 100%. In the fall says he's ready to be back out on the field with his team and ends up as the 3rd option at QB. Even when he goes in to relieve Martinez vs Mizzou.....he's ability looks no different........."Oh, that injury is still nagging him".......NO, he just wasn't that good of a QB......that's not harsh, it's the truth. Even at the end of the season, why people are claiming he may be still suffering from the previous season's injury, he tells the media, that he was at a 100% and even when he did have his minor injury during the 2010 season, he was fine by the next game.

3. Armstrong got a surgery to fix a injury he received in high school. The surgery was during the week of the Michigan game I believe. He was on crutches for a week and on the bike by the time Penn St came to town. I doubt Bo would have pulled his shirt after missing 3/4 of the season already.

4. Please, why would I try to find something to argue about. I asked what's the difference between the INEXPERIENCE of Armstrong/Kellogg in 2012, that you consider QUALITY DEPTH......and the ACTUAL GAME TIME (STARTING) EXPERIENCE of Green/Lee in 2010 that you consider NO DEPTH........

Your answers:

-because Armstrong and Kellogg are still talked about

(they are still on the roster, it would sound pretty stupid for the staff to be talking about Green/Lee...don't you think)

-Kellogg knows the playbook because he sends the plays in to Martinez

(What do you think Green did for Lee in 2009. What do you think Green/Lee did for Martinez in 2010....as a matter of fact, one of the reasons people questioned Martinez's leadership and dedication is because we he was sidelined for whatever reason <injury/ or the rare time he was pulled from a game> he sat on the back bench and wasn't sending in signals or encouraging the back up going in to replace him)

-because the staff is excited when talking about Armstrong.....

(Where were you when Green first arrived on campus shortly after new years. Did you not here all the "Tommie Frazier" comparison's due to him being a true freshman with a possible chance at starting. Did you not hear/read the message board after he took his first snap as a Husker vs FAU and ran down field for 49 yards almost scoring if it wasn't for a teammate being in the way.)

To the bold print in your post........your "waste of time in responding" is not on the fact that I don't agree with your opinion. You waste of time is the fact that you state your opinion with no logic what so ever to support it. Quotes like "just because they don't have any in game experience, doesn't mean they aren't a quality back up" When you have quotes like this:

Simply put, the reason Martinez played injured his fresman and sophomore year, was because of the lack of depth. Just because you have a body, doesn't mean you have depth. This is common sense. This year, we have QUALITY depth, something Taylor has NEVER had behind him, except for Lee, but he was injured.

Let's me know you refuse to use logic and/or reality to make a point. You are basically going off of the hype of others and the opinion you created because of it. To you only Zac Lee, the worst starter of the Pelini era was quality depth, regardless of the fact he was placed at the 3rd QB on the depth chart because he was beaten by two underclassmen. You also think that Ron Kellogg who has a total of 25 yards (22 passing 4/11 and 3 rushing on 2 attempts) 1 TD/1Int/1fumble is quality depth. But a Cody Green who has had 4 starts, undefeated as a starter, was one of the best team players on the sideline is nothing to brag about.

I agree your response was a waste of time. You aren't making any sense.

Lee hurt his throwing arm or hand in the Arkansas State game and re-aggravated it against Virginia Tech. That guy had an arm and the times he came in his senior season, some of the throws we saw him make, I don't really buy that he was totally healthy. But reports on this really vary, I suppose. The staff didn't seem to feel his offseason surgery was necessary.

Funny how it didn't come out until after the season? Yes, because this team and the players on this team have a history of being immediately forthcoming about all their ailments. Is it really that surprising?

Only skimmed through this thread but three things:

#1 - Taylor is a tough, strong football player. The only reason he is perceived as being "delicate" or soft is because the coaches taught him to protect himself from impact, and he had a hard time doing that at game speed. I remember a particular 3rd down and long while scrambling outside the pocket against Northwestern, he straight up stiff-armed a would-be tackler to the ground and then completed a pass downfield. He's got the strength and he'll use it if given permission.

#2 - Oh the tainted memories of Sam Keller. He wasn't the starter because of a favor or a bias; he was the better pick. People forget that he was on pace to break all of Zac (Taylor)'s records from his Big XII Offensive Player of the Year season prior, before he got injured. The only reason Joe came in and lit the place up was because we went into almost Texas-Tech Air Raid mode (people forget he had 4 INT's against Kansas and cost us the Colorado game with his interceptions as well). Keller started because he proved and earned the starting spot in practice. Joe rose to the occasion in games, but (in 2007) only with the help of an offense that was conducive to putting up huge numbers to give Callahan a chance to save his job.

#3 - Zac Lee had the strongest and most accurate arm of any quarterback in recent school history before it got jacked up. Would very likely have been a draft pick (I'd bet money on it) if it hadn't been for his injury(ies).

• Fire 1
But a Cody Green who has had 4 starts, undefeated as a starter, was one of the best team players on the sideline is nothing to brag about.

Iowa State, Baylor, Colorado...

Whoopty friggin doo....

Also, I'm assuming by "team player" you mean "playa" and spending time with chicks and not in the playbook, right?

Lee hurt his throwing arm or hand in the Arkansas State game and re-aggravated it against Virginia Tech. That guy had an arm and the times he came in his senior season, some of the throws we saw him make, I don't really buy that he was totally healthy. But reports on this really vary, I suppose. The staff didn't seem to feel his offseason surgery was necessary.

Funny how it didn't come out until after the season? Yes, because this team and the players on this team have a history of being immediately forthcoming about all their ailments. Is it really that surprising?

Please......name one player in history who went an entire season with an injury that required surgery, that so obviously hindered his production, yet we saw no signs of it in any of the games. Excuses can be made forever, but fact is, Lee only looked like a NFL caliber QB vs Sun Belt teams. Roy Helu went through an entire season with a bum shoulder. He continued to play, and it was obvious that it was taking away from his ability, but we knew it not only because the coaches came forth with it, but because you can see how he was trying to protect it, while still playing with 110% effort. Rex had severe injuries during his 1st and last year, we saw how he carried himself on and off the field during that time. What about after Martinez's injury, we were able to see the difference in his statue, regardless of not knowing everything the doctor knew about his conditions...............But Zac Lee. He bombs for a whole season with the exception of some Sun Belt match ups. Never shows any sign of wear and tear in any games, just the inability to produce. At the end of the season he tells everyone that he was injured those whole season, and we dismiss his lack of production and use it as an excuse to why he still couldn't produce the following season or even hold on to his starting spot. He doesn't get drafted, doesn't get a call about a Free Agent interest. Doesn't get invited to a mini camp. Doesn't make a practice squad.....nothing. And none of that has anything to do with he just isn't a good QB. It's all on this ghost injury that's keeping him down.......ok.

But a Cody Green who has had 4 starts, undefeated as a starter, was one of the best team players on the sideline is nothing to brag about.

Whoopty friggin doo....

Also, I'm assuming by "team player" you mean "playa" and spending time with chicks and not in the playbook, right?

Who did Ron Kellogg beat?.................My point exactly. If I remember correctly Zac Lee took all the snaps in the Iowa St game in which NU lost...........

But these two are quality depth, but Cody Green was a bum.......right.......

and no....I said it correct the first time.....he was a TEAM PLAYER......Cody Green was a class act on campus, very respectful, up beat and his teammates loved him. He came from a great house hold. I respected the way he carried himself even when he was in high school. Let's stay on subject, or close your mouth if you have nothing to add rather than making idiotic comments about a former husker's character that you know nothing about. He's done nothing to disrespect this program, even in his departure, you don't have to be a fan of him but childish comments about his character shouldn't be added into a conversation, especially if it's off topic.

Please......name one player in history who went an entire season with an injury that required surgery, that so obviously hindered his production, yet we saw no signs of it in any of the games. Excuses can be made forever, but fact is, Lee only looked like a NFL caliber QB vs Sun Belt teams. Roy Helu went through an entire season with a bum shoulder. He continued to play, and it was obvious that it was taking away from his ability, but we knew it not only because the coaches came forth with it, but because you can see how he was trying to protect it, while still playing with 110% effort. Rex had severe injuries during his 1st and last year, we saw how he carried himself on and off the field during that time. What about after Martinez's injury, we were able to see the difference in his statue, regardless of not knowing everything the doctor knew about his conditions...............But Zac Lee. He bombs for a whole season with the exception of some Sun Belt match ups. Never shows any sign of wear and tear in any games, just the inability to produce. At the end of the season he tells everyone that he was injured those whole season, and we dismiss his lack of production and use it as an excuse to why he still couldn't produce the following season or even hold on to his starting spot. He doesn't get drafted, doesn't get a call about a Free Agent interest. Doesn't get invited to a mini camp. Doesn't make a practice squad.....nothing. And none of that has anything to do with he just isn't a good QB. It's all on this ghost injury that's keeping him down.......ok.

You are, quite frankly, completely wrong that there was no in-season evidence of Zac's injury. Go find the 2009 Va Tech and Missouri games and see how wobbly, weak and inaccurate his passes were. Even with little sample sizing of his healthy ability, it was obvious to me and many others that he was incapable of throwing the football the way he wanted and was trying to. His arm betrayed him.

• Fire 2

You are, quite frankly, completely wrong that there was no in-season evidence of Zac's injury. Go find the 2009 Va Tech and Missouri games and see how wobbly, weak and inaccurate his passes were. Even with little sample sizing of his healthy ability, it was obvious to me and many others that he was incapable of throwing the football the way he wanted and was trying to. His arm betrayed him.

I am not sure how he didn't see that Lee was obviously not healthy. IIRC, there was a commentator who stated something during the Missouri game, that he doesn't think he ever recovered from his injury. I also remember hearing that the reason we saw Cody Green, instead of Zac Lee, in the A&M game, was because Lee was unable to play due to his elbow once again.

Whoopty friggin doo....

Who did Ron Kellogg beat?.................My point exactly. If I remember correctly Zac Lee took all the snaps in the Iowa St game in which NU lost...........

But these two are quality depth, but Cody Green was a bum.......right.......

and no....I said it correct the first time.....he was a TEAM PLAYER......Cody Green was a class act on campus, very respectful, up beat and his teammates loved him. He came from a great house hold. I respected the way he carried himself even when he was in high school. Let's stay on subject, or close your mouth if you have nothing to add rather than making idiotic comments about a former husker's character that you know nothing about. He's done nothing to disrespect this program, even in his departure, you don't have to be a fan of him but childish comments about his character shouldn't be added into a conversation, especially if it's off topic.

I would really suggest you to learn how to speak to others on this board, and show some more respect. All I see is you crying and bitching at people. You are consistently arguing with people over crap that you don't even know about. Even more pathetic thing, you start to say sh#t like that when you get your panties in a bunch.