Taylor Martinez 2013 discussion - running tougher? better decisions in the pocket?

OMG, I need a drink after trying to read all of this. I am done, the guy obviously knows Zac Lee and the whole football staff/players better than anyone here. No sense in telling him the obvious.

If you don't think Lee was injured, so be it. The rest of us, know the truth.

comprehension my friend......it works wonders.....never said I didn't think he was injured. I said I don't think his injury was the soul reason he wasn't as great a player as he was hype up to be going into his Jr. season......big difference........but go ahead and have that drink.

There were things the trainers could do for Lee that allowed him to grip the football. "Shoot it up" is the term. I don't recall the specific injury Lee had, but if it was a labrum you can play with a torn labrum. Kain Colter did it his whole junior year of HS.

I don't know what AllInRed is arguing at this point.

comprehension my friend......it works wonders.....never said I didn't think he was injured. I said I don't think his injury was the soul reason he wasn't as great a player as he was hype up to be going into his Jr. season......big difference........but go ahead and have that drink.

-Lee was NOT injured that entire season. He sat out one practice after the original report of his injury. He stated at the end of the season that he was fine by the time the next game came. If you are going to put "injured" next to his name then you should do the same for Green both years. He pulled a groin muscle in 2010 and 2009 he got dinged up in practice just before the start of conference play.

2. Many want to blame Lee's inability to be great on an elbow injury that he announced after a horrible season. Funny how none of this came out the whole season. Even players didn't know nothing about it til the announcement. When did he get this injury. During the VT game? That was his first horrible showing. Where was that injury when he put up 55 on the Louisiana Rajin' Cajans? Was it the Mizzou game. Maybe the injury aided his glorious comeback in the 4th quarter. Funny how his best showings were against Sun Belt teams and he struggled in every conference game but NO ONE knows anything about the injury, and no one points out that he's looking a be favoring an elbow in any game all year. Now he could have had a injury, at some point, hell he got surgery for it. Next year he should be fine. He's participating in 7 on 7s in the summer. Tells the media he's feeling great, very close to 100%. In the fall says he's ready to be back out on the field with his team and ends up as the 3rd option at QB. Even when he goes in to relieve Martinez vs Mizzou.....he's ability looks no different........."Oh, that injury is still nagging him".......NO, he just wasn't that good of a QB......that's not harsh, it's the truth. Even at the end of the season, why people are claiming he may be still suffering from the previous season's injury, he tells the media, that he was at a 100% and even when he did have his minor injury during the 2010 season, he was fine by the next game.

Your quotes not mine. I am not the only person who thinks he was still injured.

There were things the trainers could do for Lee that allowed him to grip the football. "Shoot it up" is the term. I don't recall the specific injury Lee had, but if it was a labrum you can play with a torn labrum. Kain Colter did it his whole junior year of HS.

I am not sure either. But the guy knows all the players, staff and doctors, so he is obviously much more knowledgeable than every single one of us.

All you have to do is read the thread. I'm not arguing his injury. I simply am stating that I don't think his injury is the SOLE PURPOSE of his lack of production throughout his career here. I mentioned the torn labrum because that's one of the rumors I heard then. I also hear it was an injure to his non-throwing hand, others say it was that he re-injured his elbow or something.....I don't remember any of the rumors being confirmed. All I know is that he was practicing after the Mizzou game but wasn't playing. After the season ended as HE stated that he was fine within that week that the injury was mentioned during the 2010 season. Bo, said he will be fine and that it was nothing serious. Being that nothing was confirmed, yet he wasn't playing I go by my own theory of maybe he just isn't as good as most are cracking out to be since Green was called on to start for the ISU game and the CU game.

-Lee was NOT injured that entire season. He sat out one practice after the original report of his injury. He stated at the end of the season that he was fine by the time the next game came. If you are going to put "injured" next to his name then you should do the same for Green both years. He pulled a groin muscle in 2010 and 2009 he got dinged up in practice just before the start of conference play.

2. Many want to blame Lee's inability to be great on an elbow injury that he announced after a horrible season. Funny how none of this came out the whole season. Even players didn't know nothing about it til the announcement. When did he get this injury. During the VT game? That was his first horrible showing. Where was that injury when he put up 55 on the Louisiana Rajin' Cajans? Was it the Mizzou game. Maybe the injury aided his glorious comeback in the 4th quarter. Funny how his best showings were against Sun Belt teams and he struggled in every conference game but NO ONE knows anything about the injury, and no one points out that he's looking a be favoring an elbow in any game all year. Now he could have had a injury, at some point, hell he got surgery for it. Next year he should be fine. He's participating in 7 on 7s in the summer. Tells the media he's feeling great, very close to 100%. In the fall says he's ready to be back out on the field with his team and ends up as the 3rd option at QB. Even when he goes in to relieve Martinez vs Mizzou.....he's ability looks no different........."Oh, that injury is still nagging him".......NO, he just wasn't that good of a QB......that's not harsh, it's the truth. Even at the end of the season, why people are claiming he may be still suffering from the previous season's injury, he tells the media, that he was at a 100% and even when he did have his minor injury during the 2010 season, he was fine by the next game.

Your quotes not mine. I am not the only person who thinks he was still injured.

:lol: do this. Read my post out loud, maybe that will help you. I acknowledged that he was injure, but I don't think his injury was the reason he didn't produce and that their was no evidence physically no did anyone out side of the inside or outside of the program mention that he seems to be less than 100% in any of his games after seeing that he wasn't producing like he did vs Ark St. When Martinez got injured, you noticed the limp the rest of the season. I didn't see Lee grab an elbow, stretch his arm or even ice a shoulder not once during the games you and others claim he sustained the injury in. I stated, obviously there's an injury because he got surgery at the end of that season, but I don't think it was early in the year because there were no physical signs of struggle in his physical ability other than he just wasn't as athletic as everyone hoped he would be.

You are trying to hard my friend. Unless you know where a clip is showing him physically hindering his mechanics, or a commentator suggesting they see a difference in his ability possibly due to injury of some sort, or a link suggesting that he got dinged up in one of the games y'all claim he sustained the injury in, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Because the only "evidence" that your using to support your opinions is speculation.

Or at least tell me why it's a great idea to tell no one about an injury keeping you from competing at the level you are capable of being at consistently, but after the season, it's the subject in your very first interview after you had your best game, allowing it to be the "cliche" subject of choice so that we have a reason to ignore the fact that the offense he led was the worst since the 60s.

I must be a terrible fan because I refuse to believe that he's better than he actually showed in his career.......

I must be a terrible fan because I refuse to believe that he's better than he actually showed in his career.......

Usually when you argue with people on Huskerboard you aren't a "true" fan. That's where this is going, so good thinking on your part to head it off before someone calls you out :)

Awww, you found a buddy to make strawperson arguments with.

Is the argument that Lee was a better QB?

Well, the original argument was that Green/Lee in 2010 provided quality depth at the QB position. Someone said no they weren't but suggested that Armstrong/Kellogg is quality depth. I asked how is a QB who's 4/11 for 22 yards, 3 yards rushing on 2 attempts, 1TD/1Int/1Fumble, accompanied with a freshman QB who hasn't played a game quality depth but two QBs whom have at least 2 games of starting experience not. Then all of this came about......:lol:

Usually when you argue with people on Huskerboard you aren't a "true" fan. That's where this is going, so good thinking on your part to head it off before someone calls you out :)

Jedi mind tricks......:lol:

Awww, you found a buddy to make strawperson arguments with.

What's wrong your buddy isn't giving you attention.......You can sit at our table color if you want.

Well, the original argument was that Green/Lee in 2010 provided quality depth at the QB position. Someone said no they weren't but suggested that Armstrong/Kellogg is quality depth. I asked how is a QB who's 4/11 for 22 yards, 3 yards rushing on 2 attempts, 1TD/1Int/1Fumble, accompanied with a freshman QB who hasn't played a game quality depth but two QBs whom have at least 2 games of starting experience not. Then all of this came about......:lol:

I see. Well I will throw my 2 cents in. In 2010, in the opportunities they had, Lee and Green proved to provide depth. Quality depth is a stretch based on their performances.

RK3 and Armstrong provide depth. Without them showing anything last year for obvious reasons it would also be a stretch to say it is Quality.

Looking back, the last time we had Quality backups was Keller and Ganz. I think someone mentioned it earlier. But even then, we didn't really know what we had in Ganz because he hadn't seen much of the field until Keller was hurt.

I probably didn't add much to this thread but hey-what the hell.

• Fire 1

Remember when Mike Grant got hurt and a freshman started? Was that decision right?

Was Gerry Gdowski good enough to have started as a junior? What happened there?

Why didn't Turner Gill want to move up to Varsity when TO asked him? Maybe that was a mistake to start him after that?

See how those are irrelevant to what is happening right now? Kind of like Sam Keller and Joe Ganz. Kind of like Zac Lee and Cody Green.

Lee was injured, that is the only fact we have. The rest is speculation...

I hope T-Magic is ready for a break out year.

She we not talk about them because they are irrelevant? What else would you have us do, wait til fall camp and discuss what goes on just in that day.

Title of the thread:

Taylor Martinez 2013 discussion

Does that answer your question? I don't know what your unhealthy obsession with Cody Green is about, but it is about time to let it go. He was an average game manager. Zac Lee was a better game manager. He was never going to fit here with the way Bo wanted the offense to go. He wasn't better than Taylor then. He is absolutely not as good as Taylor now. I wouldn't change them for a second.

As far as Taylor's year, I think the improvement on the offensive line and another year of experience for RBs and WRs will really help him excel. I worry about the TEs in the running game other than Long. We shall see if he can clean up his ball protection. I think if you take into account his work ethic in the offseason we could have a scary good QB this season. You know, 2013.

No, the thread title just stats the reason the OP started the thread. Through discussion the back ups to the player he mention came about, Green/Lee/Carnes/Kellogg were/are all back ups during that time. Nice try though.

And what's so unhealthy about me saying that Green wasn't a bum. I never stated he was better than Martinez then nor now. I even pointed out that I don't think he would have been able to run the system he was put in simply because of his skill set. Try again.

So, back to my question. What would you have us do? If you mention Martinez, you are talking about husker QBs, thus former husker QBs will be brought up. Now the minute a Martinez thread is started and someone starts discussing the defensive problems and who was a better LB, etc......then I'll give you one of these "+1".

I could give two sh#ts about your +1, for the record.

As far as your superiority complex, I cannot help you. Nor do I care enough to attempt such a feat. I am wondering about the aforementioned percentage of total posts in your Huskerboard "career" dedicated to this thread and no others. Why is it that you are so compelled to come to the defense of Green?

On another note, I watched Ron Kellogg III play a lot of games at Westside High School here in Omaha. For him to have gotten as far as he has is a testament to his work ethic, because he was not very good at all at Westside.

Well, the original argument was that Green/Lee in 2010 provided quality depth at the QB position. Someone said no they weren't but suggested that Armstrong/Kellogg is quality depth. I asked how is a QB who's 4/11 for 22 yards, 3 yards rushing on 2 attempts, 1TD/1Int/1Fumble, accompanied with a freshman QB who hasn't played a game quality depth but two QBs whom have at least 2 games of starting experience not. Then all of this came about...... :lol:

I see. Well I will throw my 2 cents in. In 2010, in the opportunities they had, Lee and Green proved to provide depth. Quality depth is a stretch based on their performances.

RK3 and Armstrong provide depth. Without them showing anything last year for obvious reasons it would also be a stretch to say it is Quality.

Looking back, the last time we had Quality backups was Keller and Ganz. I think someone mentioned it earlier. But even then, we didn't really know what we had in Ganz because he hadn't seen much of the field until Keller was hurt.

I probably didn't add much to this thread but hey-what the hell.

I agree. I guess quality is the wrong term to use. Serviceable is probably closer to reality. In 2010, we knew that if Martinez couldn't come back after injury, there were two QBs that could step in and at least manage to offense. Green was able to perform when a week was spent putting together a game scheme that fit him rather than forcing him to play like Martinez or Lee. Lee showed that he can at least protect the ball on offense and keep from allowing the team to lose the game despite what the defense was doing. IMO, that's more depth at QB than 90% of programs see year to year.

As far as Armstrong, I surely hope he is the real deal and show cases that at some point this season. I don't want to see another Ganz to Lee transition where we lost a good QB only to see a guy whom we though would be better turnout to be no better than 3rd on the depth chart