Taylor Martinez 2013 discussion - running tougher? better decisions in the pocket?

For the offense Callahan wanted to run, Keller was the better choice.

I've always thought the opposite. Keller was never really a West Coast-style QB. Keller would be a better QB for an offense that wanted to use more of a vertical passing game. That's kind of the opposite of what Billy C's offense was all about. I thought Ganz was better suited for the horizontal passing routes.

For the offense Callahan wanted to run, Keller was the better choice.

I've always thought the opposite. Keller was never really a West Coast-style QB. Keller would be a better QB for an offense that wanted to use more of a vertical passing game. That's kind of the opposite of what Billy C's offense was all about. I thought Ganz was better suited for the horizontal passing routes.

All you had to do was watch them throw the routes we ran. Keller threw to a spot, Ganz threw to the man. Did it consistently through the Spring and through fall camp. The WCO relies on timing patterns like slants and outs, and Ganzy wasn't hitting the spots like Keller.

Kain Colter is their starter, the only game all year he didn't start was against us last year. I think you meant Trevor Siemian, but I don't think there is another D1 school who runs two QB's like NW, but either way, +1 for finding a 2nd string who gets quality time, even though you named their starter :P

Sort of what I thought too until the NW game last year when we were all told it was the other way around.

No.

-1st it wasn't most of his freshman year. He played in 4 games after his injury, that's not most of the season

-2nd, the decision to keep him in was the decision of an inexperienced HC not the experienced OC. Martinez is Bo's guy. Watson wanted Green in.

-3rd, the 3rd player on the roster had a year of starting experience under his belt. Though Z.Lee wasn't that good, he still is able to manage the offense.

-4th, our next 3 games were against ISU/KU/aTm...none were big threats. Bo's wanted to give that "fear factor" to the opposing defenses so he stuck a QB who could barely walk on the field. Green was 4-0 as a starter at NU, which shows he had at least enough talent to manage the offense.

Here's the depth of each year.

-Joe Ganz - starter

-Patick Witt - back up

-Zac Lee - redshirt- How did he redshirt when he played a game and graduated in 2010?

-Kody Spano - redshirt

-Zac Lee - Starter

-Cody Green - Back up

-LaTravis Washington - 3rd string

-Kody Spano - injured

-Taylor Martinez - Starter

-Cody Green - back up Couldn't hold on the ball if his life depended on it when he was given the option to prove himself.

-Zac Lee - 3rd string Injured

-LaTravis Washington - 4th string

-Kody Spano - injured

-Brion Carnes - back up

-Ron Kellogg - 3rd string

-Ron Kellogg - back up

-Brion Carnes- Couldn't understand the offense and get a grasp on reading defenses.

-Tommy Armstrong - red shirt

-Bronson Marsh - 5th string Where's 4th String?

(How I see the current season going)

-Taylor Martinez - starter

-Tommy Armstrong - back up

-Ron Kellogg - 3rd string

-Bronson Marsh - 4th string Come on, I thought you followed Husker football better than this guy, HE IS GONE. UNK transfer.

-Johnny Stanton - red shirt Most Likely the case, but its pretty premature to be set that this is whats going to happen.

-Ryker Fyfe

-Tyson Broekemeier

Edited some things for you.

Simply put, the reason Martinez played injured his fresman and sophomore year, was because of the lack of depth. Just because you have a body, doesn't mean you have depth. This is common sense. This year, we have QUALITY depth, something Taylor has NEVER had behind him, except for Lee, but he was injured.

Thanks for the help with the edits.....I should have proof read it before sending but hey it's a message board..

Your Edits:

-I don't know why I put he red shirted that season. Brain fart on my end.....

-Green didn't fumble the ball any more than the starter did. Try again.

-Lee was NOT injured that entire season. He sat out one practice after the original report of his injury. He stated at the end of the season that he was fine by the time the next game came. If you are going to put "injured" next to his name then you should do the same for Green both years. He pulled a groin muscle in 2010 and 2009 he got dinged up in practice just before the start of conference play.

-I understand the Carnes situation. I'm not arguing that. But he was still on roster and on scholarship, which is all I was pointing out in this post

-I put Marsh at 5th string because it was obvious to most everyone around the program that if Martinez went down, that Armstrong's red shirt would be pulled and he was trusted to take over before Kellogg. That would make Marsh the 5th option. Then again, it would make him the 4th because Carnes was moved out to WR...

-Marsh....yea another brain fart....I was just typing and threw his name in there.

-Pretty premature on Stanton....really? What do you KNOW about Stanton that says he will do anything other than red shirt...He's coming off a season ending injury. He will arrive on campus just before fall camp, there will be 3 scholarship QBs on campus who have been in the playbook for at least a season. 2 of them are equally as good an athlete, 1 is a 3 year starter. Every conversation about next season at this point is "premature" in that case.

-RF & TB....are they scholarship QBs or walk ons........there were walk ons on the other seasons also, but I chose to focus on just the "scholarship" QBs as they are more likely to make the depth chart and see the field.

And since we are talking "common sense"

Based on this quote "Simply put, the reason Martinez played injured his fresman and sophomore year, was because of the lack of depth. Just because you have a body, doesn't mean you have depth. This is common sense. This year, we have QUALITY depth, something Taylor has NEVER had behind him, except for Lee, but he was injured."

What is the difference of THIS YEAR from the previous years as far as the depth.......none of the current back ups have significant playing time if any, just a bunch of hype by media/coaches/fans for the most part yet you say that it is QUALITY dept but say we have no depth in the previous years when the situation was the EXACT SAME most years, except 2010 where you had 3 QBs whom all had at least 4 games of starting experience by the end of the season. Common sense tells me you didn't think that comment out before trying to use it suggest I have no common sense in my logic......;)

Simply put, the reason Martinez played injured his fresman and sophomore year, was because of the lack of depth. Just because you have a body, doesn't mean you have depth. This is common sense. This year, we have QUALITY depth, something Taylor has NEVER had behind him, except for Lee, but he was injured.

I hope you're right. At that point in Cody Green's career we thought we had "quality" depth behind Martinez as well. We all thought the QB race was between Lee/Green, which is saying something for Green considering Lee had started the prior year and finished the season w/ a great game. Only time will tell, we just haven't seen enough of Armstrong yet to make much of a determination of what he'll become.

Very true, but we have seen a glimpse of what RKIII can bring to the table. Even better, he knows the playbook better than Martinez does, and he can read defenses. He just isn't the guy that fits our offense, hence why he isn't the starter. If we were strictly a west coast pocket passing offense, he would most likely be our #1 guy. Cody Green just couldn't perform on the field, and I was never impressed with him here. This is how some guys are, but the mental aspect between Armstrong and Green are completely different.

How the hell are you hyping Ron Kellogg would be a starter over Taylor Martinez in a different system but suggesting that Cody Green couldn't perform.

Ron Kellogg III - 4/11 for 22 yards passing. 3 yards rushing on 2 carries. 1 TD, 1 INT and 1 Fumble..........I'm very interested in hearing the logic the logic or "common sense" supporting that.

How do you know he knows the playbook better? How do you know he reads defenses better? The only defense he see consistently is the one in practice. For all of his knowledge with the play book, why is it that Beck doesn't open up the call when he does make it to the field. I see a lot of handing off.

Guys. Does anyone in the entire coutry really have "depth" at the qb position as some here are suggesting that we dont have? I mean seriously, is there anyone in the country that's going to be as good with their #2 qb after injury as they were with #1. Even '94 Nebraska wasnt as good with Berringer instead of Frazier. We're not the only team in the country that would have issues if our #1 qb goes down for an extended period of time for whatever the reason. Looking back on the 2010 season, I think it's safe to say that a hobbled Martinez gave us a better chance to win than a healthy, deer-in-the-headlights Cody Green. Martinez wouldve been serviceable as a hobbled qb had the playcalling not been so erratically incompetent.

Ummm.....no. Cody Green was more than serviceable and gave us much better chance vs aTm. Hell, Z.Lee was healthy enough to manage the offense in that game. No they weren't the play makers that Martinez was (healthy) but Martinez was no better than any QB in the nation after the injury in 2010. I can't remember which game Martinez came back in at QB replacing either Green/Lee and the defense was heard screaming (even on the TV) for a blitz because Martinez couldn't move around and his passing played defense on itself.

Cody green was melting down like everyone else in College Station that night. Cody Green just didnt have the mentality. The skills, yes, but not the mentality.

I don't think melting down was the case for anyone in that game. There was a lot of things going wrong in that game that had nothing to do with what the Huskers were doing. I'm not much of a conspiracy man, but watching that game seriously made me wonder if there was really something going on. Every single time the huskers made a great play or was gaining momentum, a questionable flag appeared. Yet, the most penalized team in the league all of a sudden became extra disciplined and only left with 2 penalties.

If I remember correctly, the coaching staff asked a Freshman to step in and start at quarterback over an established Senior and a heralded Sophomore, holding off on the public announcement until the opening game when Taylor Martinez trotted out on the field. Before Taylor's injury that year he had vaulted into Top 5 Heisman consideration.

So crazy things happen, regardless of how we perceive position depth.

Especially in May.

(let's not go back and read the Brion Carnes threads from last summer)

If I remember correctly, the coaching staff asked a Freshman to step in and start at quarterback over an established Senior and a heralded Sophomore, holding off on the public announcement until the opening game when Taylor Martinez trotted out on the field. Before Taylor's injury that year he had vaulted into Top 5 Heisman consideration.

So crazy things happen, regardless of how we perceive position depth.

Especially in May.

(let's not go back and read the Brion Carnes threads from last summer)

+1

There was a football board call Huskerpedia a few years back and I remember how much hype Zac Lee being SOOOOO MUCH BETTER than Joe Ganz and Patrick Witt (since he transferred).....:lol: But speculation and predictions make the off season so much fun.

Are some people trying to argue that T-mart is not good? I totally cant figure this thread out!

Are we reading the same thread? Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any shots at Martinez suggesting he is not good?

Maybe I am skimming it quickly but it seems like there are the old "T-Mart should not have been starting" type of thing, who knows.

Guys. Does anyone in the entire coutry really have "depth" at the qb position as some here are suggesting that we dont have? I mean seriously, is there anyone in the country that's going to be as good with their #2 qb after injury as they were with #1. Even '94 Nebraska wasnt as good with Berringer instead of Frazier. We're not the only team in the country that would have issues if our #1 qb goes down for an extended period of time for whatever the reason. Looking back on the 2010 season, I think it's safe to say that a hobbled Martinez gave us a better chance to win than a healthy, deer-in-the-headlights Cody Green. Martinez wouldve been serviceable as a hobbled qb had the playcalling not been so erratically incompetent.

Ummm.....no. Cody Green was more than serviceable and gave us much better chance vs aTm. Hell, Z.Lee was healthy enough to manage the offense in that game. No they weren't the play makers that Martinez was (healthy) but Martinez was no better than any QB in the nation after the injury in 2010. I can't remember which game Martinez came back in at QB replacing either Green/Lee and the defense was heard screaming (even on the TV) for a blitz because Martinez couldn't move around and his passing played defense on itself.

Cody green was melting down like everyone else in College Station that night. Cody Green just didnt have the mentality. The skills, yes, but not the mentality.

I don't think melting down was the case for anyone in that game. There was a lot of things going wrong in that game that had nothing to do with what the Huskers were doing. I'm not much of a conspiracy man, but watching that game seriously made me wonder if there was really something going on. Every single time the huskers made a great play or was gaining momentum, a questionable flag appeared. Yet, the most penalized team in the league all of a sudden became extra disciplined and only left with 2 penalties.

Regardless, calmer heads have to prevail. Bo melted down. Ben Cotton melted down. The team melted down. Cody Green proceeded to sh#t his pants.

Taylor Martinez was recruited to play qb. He brought here to play qb. He is the type of qb Bo has envisioned. He knows that is the most difficult to stop in college ball. He played WR for the scout team as a true frosh in '09 that I know of. That's where the WR perception came from. He was never going to be a WR however.

Are some people trying to argue that T-mart is not good? I totally cant figure this thread out!

Are we reading the same thread? Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any shots at Martinez suggesting he is not good?

Maybe I am skimming it quickly but it seems like there are the old "T-Mart should not have been starting" type of thing, who knows.

Not really. The argument is about the quality of backups we have behind Taylor. I don't think any Husker fan with a brain will try and argue that Taylor isn't the best option we have at QB.

Thanks for the help with the edits.....I should have proof read it before sending but hey it's a message board..

Your Edits:

-I don't know why I put he red shirted that season. Brain fart on my end.....

-Green didn't fumble the ball any more than the starter did. Try again. #1

-Lee was NOT injured that entire season. He sat out one practice after the original report of his injury. He stated at the end of the season that he was fine by the time the next game came. If you are going to put "injured" next to his name then you should do the same for Green both years. He pulled a groin muscle in 2010 and 2009 he got dinged up in practice just before the start of conference play.#2

-I understand the Carnes situation. I'm not arguing that. But he was still on roster and on scholarship, which is all I was pointing out in this post

-I put Marsh at 5th string because it was obvious to most everyone around the program that if Martinez went down, that Armstrong's red shirt would be pulled and he was trusted to take over before Kellogg. That would make Marsh the 5th option. Then again, it would make him the 4th because Carnes was moved out to WR...#3

-Marsh....yea another brain fart....I was just typing and threw his name in there.

-Pretty premature on Stanton....really? What do you KNOW about Stanton that says he will do anything other than red shirt...He's coming off a season ending injury. He will arrive on campus just before fall camp, there will be 3 scholarship QBs on campus who have been in the playbook for at least a season. 2 of them are equally as good an athlete, 1 is a 3 year starter. Every conversation about next season at this point is "premature" in that case.

-RF & TB....are they scholarship QBs or walk ons........there were walk ons on the other seasons also, but I chose to focus on just the "scholarship" QBs as they are more likely to make the depth chart and see the field.

What is the difference of THIS YEAR from the previous years as far as the depth.......none of the current back ups have significant playing time if any, just a bunch of hype by media/coaches/fans for the most part yet you say that it is QUALITY dept but say we have no depth in the previous years when the situation was the EXACT SAME most years, except 2010 where you had 3 QBs whom all had at least 4 games of starting experience by the end of the season. Common sense tells me you didn't think that comment out before trying to use it suggest I have no common sense in my logic...... ;)#4

#1- True, but Green COULDN'T perform and do what our starter could, so what is your point? Green collapsed every time he had the opportunity to shine. He had the opportunity to make up for his mistakes and couldn't, like Martinez was and has been able too.

#2- Lee's elbow injury lingered his whole Senior year, that is why you saw Green in against TAMU, and not Lee. This is something even the coaches said, when asked about it. When you did see Lee in, you could tell he isn't what he use to be, not because of a lack of skill, but because of that lingering elbow injury.

#3- How do you think we would have pulled Armstrong's RS? Would we have been the first college that played a QB that was in a wheelchair?

#4- No, your obviously just trying to find something to argue about. If you really think we had depth before this year, you really need to stop drinking the kool-aid. Where did we have QUALITY depth at QB before this year? Who have we had that could come close to what Armstrong or RKIII are? I have already explained why Armstrong and RKIII are quality backups. The difference between these two QB's and the others we have had, they are still being talked about by the coaches. RKIII knows how to read defenses, who do you think gives Martinez the plays on checks? Armstrong is repeatidly being talked about that he will clearly be the #2 starter, and the coaches are excited about it. Just because someone doesn't have in-game experience, that doesn't mean they aren't a "quality" backup. If you can't tell there is a difference between this year, and the other years that Taylor has been our starter, than I am pretty much wasting my time in a response anyway.