Taylor Martinez 2013 discussion - running tougher? better decisions in the pocket?

Guys. Does anyone in the entire coutry really have "depth" at the qb position as some here are suggesting that we dont have? I mean seriously, is there anyone in the country that's going to be as good with their #2 qb after injury as they were with #1. Even '94 Nebraska wasnt as good with Berringer instead of Frazier. We're not the only team in the country that would have issues if our #1 qb goes down for an extended period of time for whatever the reason.

Looking back on the 2010 season, I think it's safe to say that a hobbled Martinez gave us a better chance to win than a healthy, deer-in-the-headlights Cody Green. Martinez wouldve been serviceable as a hobbled qb had the playcalling not been so erratically incompetent.

Name one backup quarterback who has a lot of playing time.

Go on, do it.

Mizzou's backup QB usually gets a series or so. Even in big games. That's one thing Pinkel does a pretty good job of. It's something Pelini could do a better job of.

But yeah, I agree with you. Backup QBs generally don't have much experience at all.

Go on, do it.

Last few years Northwestern effectively ran Dan Persa and Kain Kolter, and when Persa went down against us in 2011 Kolter came in full-time and won the game. It's possible - it's just really rare.

We had that luxury with Tommie Frazier and Brook Berringer, although Berringer was clearly a step down from Frazier. That was what, 18 years ago? Sheesh time flies. Since then we've had good two-deep depth at QB maybe once? With Keller and Joey Ganz? Dunno.

Go on, do it.

Mizzou's backup QB usually gets a series or so. Even in big games. That's one thing Pinkel does a pretty good job of. It's something Pelini could do a better job of.

But yeah, I agree with you. Backup QBs generally don't have much experience at all.

Pinkel's the only one that I know of who does this. I remember the '05 Missouri game with Brad Smith murdering us. Missouri up 24-7. In comes a particular Chase Daniel in the 2nd qtr for some of those infamous "meaningful snaps". He goes three and out. TD Nebraska. He throws a pick. TD Nebraska. (if I'm recalling correctly). Brad Smith promptly returns to the game after the game gets tied at 24. Missouri wins 41-24.

With that said. I prefer we dont do this. The starter is the starter for a reason. As long as the game is in question whatsoever, he's the one that should be on the field. The backup will get his meaningful snaps......when he's the the best qb on the chart.

Go on, do it.

Last few years Northwestern effectively ran Dan Persa and Kain Kolter, and when Persa went down against us in 2011 Kolter came in full-time and won the game. It's possible - it's just really rare.

We had that luxury with Tommie Frazier and Brook Berringer, although Berringer was clearly a step down from Frazier. That was what, 18 years ago? Sheesh time flies. Since then we've had good two-deep depth at QB maybe once? With Keller and Joey Ganz? Dunno.

I was gonna bring up the Keller/Ganz scenario Knapp. I decided not since it was quite obvious that Ganz was the clear #1 qb and Keller should've been #2 from day one. Doesnt really fit this debate properly in my eyes.

For the offense Callahan wanted to run, Keller was the better choice. When Keller went down and we put Ganzy in, they changed the plays and went away from a strictly pocket-passing game to more of a pass/run option for the QB.

Had they wanted a scrambling QB from the get-go then Ganz was the better choice. They wanted a West Coast pocket QB, and that was Keller. Ganzy was never a good fit for the West Coast offense.

For the offense Callahan wanted to run, Keller was the better choice. When Keller went down and we put Ganzy in, they changed the plays and went away from a strictly pocket-passing game to more of a pass/run option for the QB.

Had they wanted a scrambling QB from the get-go then Ganz was the better choice. They wanted a West Coast pocket QB, and that was Keller. Ganzy was never a good fit for the West Coast offense.

Agreed. But changing the offense or not, Ganz was clear cut a better qb. The numbers dont lie. And there was just more of a skip in the step of the entire offense for a season and a half from the day Ganz took over in Austin. I guess that's just the joke the Callahan years were. Just total lack of competence on a coache's part to recognize what you have and how to utilize it.

Go on, do it.

Pinkel's the only one that I know of who does this. I remember the '05 Missouri game with Brad Smith murdering us. Missouri up 24-7. In comes a particular Chase Daniel in the 2nd qtr for some of those infamous "meaningful snaps". He goes three and out. TD Nebraska. He throws a pick. TD Nebraska. (if I'm recalling correctly). Brad Smith promptly returns to the game after the game gets tied at 24. Missouri wins 41-24.

With that said. I prefer we dont do this. The starter is the starter for a reason. As long as the game is in question whatsoever, he's the one that should be on the field. The backup will get his meaningful snaps......when he's the the best qb on the chart.

Well, that's not quite how it happened. Close though. It's impressive that your memory is that good--mine's not. (I had to look it up. LINK) Daniels was in for one short drive, made a first down, got sacked a couple of times and Mizzou punted. He didn't throw an interception. But Brad Smith threw a pick a couple of series later. That's probably what you're thinking of.

I think Pinkel is smart for doing this. They might not do as well while the backup is in. But Pinkel is able to point out stuff to his starter while on the sideline for that one series. That, plus his backup gets valuable PT. Which would come in handy if the number one ever goes down.

What amount of playing time is significant for a backup?

I'm going to make an exception when it comes to Oklahoma's back-up. He was more of a package, get in the heavy formation from two yards out and drive it in, kind of QB. He didn't have to make all the reads, throws, decisions, etc that a non-package designed QB has to make.

Point is, while it seems wise in the long run to develop the backup QB so that when the starter does eventually leave or go down, all hope isn't lost. But it is absolutely stupid in the short run to do the same thing. The starter gives you the best chance to win, that is why he is the starter. If a team's starting, experienced QB goes down with an injury, that team is going to be hurting no matter who they are, Alabama or Tulane.

Square peg, round hole. Keller should never have set on this campus. This was paying an old buddy back. The kid had been thrown off his team for team reasons. We seemed to have more player problems when he got here. One of the nails for Clownahan I think. Joey was the better QB, just not the favorite of the head coach.

I would really like to see Armstrong on the field a lot this year. We have somewhat of an easy schedule, get him, the reps so next year, it will be better for the team.

I love Martinez, and feel we will see him at his very best, and if not injured in the hypsman race. If that is so, the chances of him leaving the game at all will not be good, but may not be the best for the team overall. I really could care less about the hypsman. I would rather have a young player learning his job under fire, so he is prepared for 2014. Plan ahead Bo.

taylor running people over... that'll be the day.

While Martinez isn't a power-running QB like Crouch or Frost, he did blow through some would-be tacklers last season, the first year he was green-lighted to accept contact since his R. Freshman year. Go watch films of the Penn State and Michigan State games where we needed a first down and Taylor plowed through defenders to get it. I'm not remembering exactly when, but these happened near the sidelines, if I recall correctly.

nice... i don't remember those plays. i only remember the taylor that likes to stop when he thinks he's going to get tackled. i hope to see more of that confident running taylor this year. he'll break off 60 yards and then drop to his knees when he feels the pressure that he might get tackled. he has a weird habit of turning off his momentum like a light swtich. he has no side to side movement, so that might be a big reason why.