DT Abu Lamin [South Carolina - Signed LOI]

I agree he's a big time recruit, I just don't like the implication that we've yet to land someone of his caliber.

And is he really numer one on Alabama's board when they just now got around to offering him?

Who have we landed in the last few years at the DT position of his caliber besides maybe VV? And no offense to VV because his potential is off the charts, but profile wise he wasn't nearly as highly respected.

He must be pretty high on their board if Saban called him himself. That doesn't happen often. They may have just been late to recognize the talent.

You're changing your argument now. But, if you want to focus specifically on DT recruitment:

You mentioned valentine already, who had offers from most of the SEC, including Alabama and Florida.

Todd Peat had a ton of big offers, including Alabama and Miami.

Kevin Williams had a lot of offers, including Oregon, Michigan and Stanford.

Chase Rome had offers from most of the SEC, including Florida, as well as Oklahoma, Miami and a bunch of others.

Jay Guy had offers from A&M, Michigan, UCLA, and more.

Despite the bad luck we've had at the position once they get here, we've recruited DT pretty well. So, no, this would not be an unprecedented recruit for us, even if we're now being specific to the DT position.

Like I said though, he's still big time and I would be impressed if we can land him.

(Also, you'll need to provide a breakdown of how many Alabama recruits have received a call from coach Saban before I believe that puts him at the top of their board. I think it's pretty common to have a head coach call a recruit with an offer to make a splash.)

You're changing your argument now. But, if you want to focus specifically on DT recruitment:

You mentioned valentine already, who had offers from most of the SEC, including Alabama and Florida.

Chase Rome had offers from most of the SEC, including Florida, as well as Oklahoma, Miami and a bunch of others.

Despite the bad luck we've had at the position once they get here, we've recruited DT pretty well. So, no, this would not be an unprecedented recruit for us, even if we're now being specific to the DT position.

Like I said though, he's still big time and I would be impressed if we can land him.

(Also, you'll need to provide a breakdown of how many Alabama recruits have received a call from coach Saban before I believe that puts him at the top of their board. I think it's pretty common to have a head coach call a recruit with an offer to make a splash.)

You're missing my point. Yes all those guys had decent offer lists, but none of them were very highly rated. It's been shown time and time again that once you get one or two big name, highly ranked recruits, then more will want to join the party because that team has just turned into the flavor of the month.

Now I know ole miss utilized some other tactic$, but they became the flavor of the month last year at the right time and ended up with a top 5 class.

Agreed, if after a "10" visit we are still behind 3 other teams, including one he hasn't even visited yet, the ship has sailed on this one.

If he wasn't lying about his visit being a 10, and he has us 4th on his board, one of those schools being a place that JUST OFFERED and he hasn't even visited yet, all that tells me is, "Nebraska, you're awesome, but you're not in the SEC."

No need to read into it any more than that. The same story can be told on a large number of guys that we miss out on to the big dog schools.

So...your point is that he would be the highest ranked recruit of the pelini era and would allow us to start landing other highly ranked kids?

Or is it that he'd be the highest ranked DT recruit and his position will allow some sort of recruiting breakthrough that the other, higher ranked kids didn't?

How about we just agree that he's a big recruit and dispense with the hyperbole that ignores the many other highly regarded kids we've landed.

Well considering the kid is from N.C. I guess it is no shock that his top 3 are all SEC schools. I was hoping his experience in Kansas might have warmed him up to the idea of playing at NU. I think playing close to home is the number one reason that we lose out on most of these stud DTs, not the SEC name. Unfortunately that is where the majority of these blue chip DT recruits come from. Always an uphill battle.

So...your point is that he would be the highest ranked recruit of the pelini era and would allow us to start landing other highly ranked kids? Sure.

No. At this point the argument has no chance of moing forward. I will ask you one question though. Do you think any of our previous DT recruits are as good as him during their recruitment?

If you're talking about potential, then it's always easier to see more of it in the kids that haven't yet stepped on a D1 field. I'm sure everyone thought valentine and Rome would be world beaters during recruiting (and they may still be). It's the same reason back-up quarterbacks are always so popular, you haven't had a chance to see their warts yet, so their potential is still unlimited.

That said, this kid does seem to have as much potential as anyone we've signed at DT.

You're missing my point. Yes all those guys had decent offer lists, but none of them were very highly rated. It's been shown time and time again that once you get one or two big name, highly ranked recruits, then more will want to join the party because that team has just turned into the flavor of the month.

Now I know ole miss utilized some other tactic$, but they became the flavor of the month last year at the right time and ended up with a top 5 class.

Abu lamin isn't highly rated either. He is only a 5.8 4 star on rivals. Rarely do we get highly rated recruits, last year terrell newby was the only recruit over 6.0

Abu lamin isn't highly rated either. He is only a 5.8 4 star on rivals. Rarely do we get highly rated recruits, last year terrell newby was the only recruit over 6.0

He just seems to me like a guy that will bring other top players with him wherever he ends up.

So in other words, he wants to play in the SEC...

What is it with kids these days?....

It's obviously the best conference in the country, that's not debatable. And it's not like he's going after crappy teams like Kentucky. SC is a game away from a natty, and Bama has won 3 of the last 4.