Most Boneheaded Play Since 2000

Please do not view this as a Husker Bashing thread, but as something to kill time until the season starts. For me, the most boneheaded play was the fake field goal with the toss over the should of the holder to the kicker that was intercepted for a TD by Colorado in 2008. The play worked perfectly earlier in the season, but CU watched film and was prepared. That play almost cost NU the game, and a loss would have resulted in a 7 and 5 record and no bowl if I remember correctly. On the other hand, the play resulted in two of the greatest plays in Husker history. Alex Henery'3 57 yard FG to take the lead with under 2 minutes to play, and Suh's interception, and stiff arm and rolling of the CU QB on his way to the end zone to seal the victory.

• Fire 1

LeKevin Smith against Texas Tech.

Martinez throwing across his body into the endzone against OU in the 2010 Big 12 Championship.

Anytime a quarterback threw it to Niles Paul.

Can you expand on the LeKevin Smith play? I don't recall that one.

The Niles Paul comment reminds me of another play. In the 2009 against Texas Tech, a backwards screen pass to Niles Paul was incomplete, and the entire offense watched as the defender returned the ball 82 yards for a TD. No NU player even made an attempt to recover the ball or tackle the TT player.

• Fire 1

LeKevin Smith against Texas Tech.

Martinez throwing across his body into the endzone against OU in the 2010 Big 12 Championship.

Anytime a quarterback threw it to Niles Paul.

Can you expand on the LeKevin Smith play? I don't recall that one.

The Niles Paul comment reminds me of another play. In the 2009 against Texas Tech, a backwards screen pass to Niles Paul was incomplete, and the entire offense watched as the defender returned the ball 82 yards for a TD. No NU player even made an attempt to recover the ball or tackle the TT player.

In 2005 we had #15 Texas Tech on the ropes, and LeKevin intercepted a pass that essentially ended the ball game, with us being able to run out the clock. Instead of going down, he started running with it and eventually fumbled, with Tech recovering and eventually scoring the game winning touchdown.

MichDad beat me to the Niles Paul fumble.

In the 2005 Texas Tech game, we were up by 4 with just over a minute to go and Tech driving, but 4th down. Smith intercepted the ball (first mistake, should've just batted it down) and then tried to run rather than just going down, and he fumbled it back to them. It wasn't just a couple yards, he went at least 10 yards. Of course they scored on this gift second chance.

Not one play but a series of plays @ VaTech in 2009. We had the ball in the redzone 1st and 10. Then proceeded to get called for penalty after penalty until we were out of field goal range. I think we had something like 3 false starts in a row and maybe a couple holding calls.

True that . Don't know if I'd ever seen a "1st and Goal from the 40" on the scoreboard before.