NCAA implements the "Kenny Bell" rule...

Accountability,

In a sport where we always hear "it's about the money" how far do you think the rule makers will let it go? Is the NFL going to go so far to shut their own brand down?..... The answer to that question is No....

Obviously not purposely. But these things kinds of things dont exactly have over night effects. Is it possible they wake up 10 years from now with drastically dropping attendance and ratings and say "oh sh#t, what'd we do?". I think it is possible. The snowball is small right now, but....

I certainly understand what you're saying. Let's hope you're wrong!

Good talk. That was fun. I hope I'm wrong too.

Maybe I don't understand the proper definition of "blind-side." Kenny Bell's block was a perfect shoulder square to the chest; it just so happened that the recipient was built like a flourescent light bulb. Was the fact that Glass Joe's head was turned the only thing that made it a blind-side hit?

If so, does this rule imply that you can't be blocked unless you are actually looking at the guy who is coming to get you?

This is going to be the biggest issue with these rules. It's not the rules themselves that could have a negative effect, but rather the in-game interpretations. They are game-changing calls, and how many times does it happen of which the hit was no illegal based on the rule to begin with?

What is a blind side block?

Kenny hid the dude square. Is he supposed to yell for the idiot to turn his head?

thats where we're at.

just wait.... next, you'll get ejected for sacking a quarterback with his back to you.

you think i'm kidding.

this is lazy of the ncaa.

if they want to protect themselves legally when players get hit like that they need to take each individual situation head on.

if they get sued from the kenny bell incident, they need to hire the lawyers and prove that dude didn't have his head on a swivel.

so i guess there lies the situation....the ncaa doesn't want to hire lawyers for situations like this.

Sports in the country are all in the balance, as we lose more and more liberties. Do you think that sports carry the weight in life as they do now. I love them, but there is too big of an influence put on sports and their importance. Hard to swallow, I know, I coach football and wrestling at the high school level.

Pretty soon, the government is going to be able to control everything like "Declaring Football illegal, and unsafe..etc..."

It's coming. Maybe not in the next 5 years, but within the next 15-30 years

Maybe I don't understand the proper definition of "blind-side." Kenny Bell's block was a perfect shoulder square to the chest; it just so happened that the recipient was built like a flourescent light bulb. Was the fact that Glass Joe's head was turned the only thing that made it a blind-side hit?

If so, does this rule imply that you can't be blocked unless you are actually looking at the guy who is coming to get you?

+1 for the Punch-Out reference

Okay, so one wrong block because the kid being hit isn't fundamentally sound, and we lose a player for the rest of the game?

Surely we aren't the only team upset by this crap...can't the schools get together to hold off implementation of this rule or scuttle it completely?...kind of like how the new recruiting changes are 'under review' because enough schools had problems with them?

Could be heading towards the death of football - but the true death of football will only happen when it is no longer profitable, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

More likely, we're heading towards the secession of certain institutions and franchises from the NCAA and the NFL. If they continue to alter the game like this, football will become so watered down that it will be more profitable for those schools and franchises to form their own league and play by their own rules. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What's their definition of blindside block? Because your basic trap play and sometimes counter plays are basically a blind side block. This is ridiculous, head in front should always be a clean block unless you lunge at the defender's head.