I miss the Big XII.

I somewhat agree with the OP. I miss what the Big 12 SHOULD have been, if we didn't have to deal with texa$$' politics and power pulls. I miss the rivalries of the Big 12. I miss the better quality baseball and football. The Big 12 could at least compete with the $EC. I think that OSU will be able to now with Urb, but I don't think that we will ever compete for another MNC in this conference, unless we get a guy like TO, Urb or Saban to coach here, and that is very unlikely to happen. It will also be more difficult to get to the CWS again. The men's basketball was a little easier in the Big 12, so Miles would have a better shot at getting into the upper half of the conference. I don't like the stupid B1G rivalry games or the overrated Rose Bowl, and many of the fans of our new conference foes are worse than CU, KSU, and Mizzou fans. The road trips are farther away, and our fans seem to get treated pretty badly at those locations. To top it all off, OSU gets put on probation, Rutgers is a mess, and PSU had the worst scandal in the history of sports. Pretty embarrassing, really.

I guess the B1G has better wrestling and volleyball, so there is that. In time we will get more TV $$$ and the CIC will be great for the U, but athletically, this has been a fairly poor move. I don't get how many of our fans feel that "its a fit" and it "feels like home." We spent decades (and rightfully so) making fun of how weak B1G football was, now many of those same fans get all twitterpated over playing MSU and Michigan.

You are entitled to your opinion but there is no proof to back this up at all.

I heard about drunk frat boys at Madison. Are these the same drunk frat boys in Boulder?

Rape is rape. whether at PSU or Boulder. OU has been put on probation a billion times. Tech fans throw mexican bread products on the field,etc

I somewhat agree with the OP. I miss what the Big 12 SHOULD have been, if we didn't have to deal with texa$$' politics and power pulls. I miss the rivalries of the Big 12. I miss the better quality baseball and football. The Big 12 could at least compete with the $EC. I think that OSU will be able to now with Urb, but I don't think that we will ever compete for another MNC in this conference, unless we get a guy like TO, Urb or Saban to coach here, and that is very unlikely to happen. It will also be more difficult to get to the CWS again. The men's basketball was a little easier in the Big 12, so Miles would have a better shot at getting into the upper half of the conference. I don't like the stupid B1G rivalry games or the overrated Rose Bowl, and many of the fans of our new conference foes are worse than CU, KSU, and Mizzou fans. The road trips are farther away, and our fans seem to get treated pretty badly at those locations. To top it all off, OSU gets put on probation, Rutgers is a mess, and PSU had the worst scandal in the history of sports. Pretty embarrassing, really.

I guess the B1G has better wrestling and volleyball, so there is that. In time we will get more TV $$$ and the CIC will be great for the U, but athletically, this has been a fairly poor move. I don't get how many of our fans feel that "its a fit" and it "feels like home." We spent decades (and rightfully so) making fun of how weak B1G football was, now many of those same fans get all twitterpated over playing MSU and Michigan.

This piqued my interest, so I have to ask, what decades were these and in comparison to what? Made fun of how weak the Big Ten was in comparison to the Big 12 and Big 8?

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, guess its the offseason. I loved the move to the B1G, and there is no question it was the right move.

The additions of Rutgers and Maryland are changing my love fest. The new divisions suck, we replace Michigan, MSU, and PennSt with Wisconsin, Illinois, and Purdue. In addition instead of seeing OSU on the schedule they will often be replaced by Rutgers or Maryland. I hate it.

That said I would rather travel to Illinois where they just don't care as opposed to going to ISU where they just hate Nebraska.

• Fire 1

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, guess its the offseason. I loved the move to the B1G, and there is no question it was the right move.

The additions of Rutgers and Maryland are changing my love fest. The new divisions suck, we replace Michigan, MSU, and PennSt with Wisconsin, Illinois, and Purdue. In addition instead of seeing OSU on the schedule they will often be replaced by Rutgers or Maryland. I hate it.

That said I would rather travel to Illinois where they just don't care as opposed to going to ISU where they just hate Nebraska.

Rutgers, Maryland, and the new divisions have dampened my spirits on what I felt was a great thing in the beginning. I think the Big Ten has been a bit over zealous in their quest to expand and honestly, it is hurting the 'brand' a bit. I hope we can figure out how to make this division work because the last thing in the world we need is another conference move anytime soon, if ever. As of right now though, it sure seems the big names and big games in this conference are not including Nebraska.

Wait, so you're pissed at the poor quality of the B1G's athletics, but you prefer Big 12 basketball because it's easier?

Also, I think you're overrating the quality the current state of Big 12 football. They sure didn't 'compete' in the bowl season last year. Once you make a Rose Bowl I think you'll feel a bit differently about it as well.

Exactly. In baseball and football we have had quite a bit of success. 5 MNCs in football, made it to 3 CWSs in baseball since 2000. But our basketball success has pretty much been limited to a run in the late 80s-early/mid 90s that included 1 Big 8 tourney title, a handful of 1 and outs in the NCAA tourney, and 1 NIT championship. We have been dreadful in basketball in the past 15 years and moving into the best (at this time) basketball league will make it really tough to have the success we all want. Conversely, with the recent moderate to decent success in football and baseball as well as our past in football and the relative weakness of the B1G in those sports, it would take much less to compete for conference championships.

Oh, and we have played in the Rose Bowl, the last time for the MNC. That game meant something, but the Rose Bowl overall is so highly over hyped. The Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar have meant more to college football in the past 40 years than the Rose.

You are entitled to your opinion but there is no proof to back this up at all.

I heard about drunk frat boys at Madison. Are these the same drunk frat boys in Boulder?

Rape is rape. whether at PSU or Boulder. OU has been put on probation a billion times. Tech fans throw mexican bread products on the field,etc

I don't have any proof that I can link to, but I can say that I listen to at least 8 hours of sports talk radio a day, the majority of it being local. The local shows I listen to lean heavily towards college football, and if the words of our fans (phone, text, email, facebook messages) they were treated on the whole fairly poorly. I guess it could be a small sample where the majority is silent, but it is what I heard.

This piqued my interest, so I have to ask, what decades were these and in comparison to what? Made fun of how weak the Big Ten was in comparison to the Big 12 and Big 8?

From the 70's until the day we joined the B1G. If I recall, the B1G has only won one legit MNC since the 60's, while teams from the Big 8 and Big 12 were almost always in the MNC picture, often played for it (much more so than B1G teams), and won more in that time period. Heck, we have won more legit MNCs since the 60's than the B1G as a whole.

I know, I know, the Big 8/18 had OSU, and Texas Tech, and Baylor, and Mizzou, and Kansas, and KSU, and Colorado. Well, the majority (if not all) of those teams have either been rated #1 at some point, have played in BCS/major bowl games, or have had a Heisman Trophy winner.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that hates the new divisions and schedules. I'd love a chance to play for the National Championship but I sure don't like the idea of only playing 2 or 3 ranked teams in a season and trying to justify that we belong in the conversation. Not that we have much room to complain until we stop crapping the bed in the big games. Our team will get better if were playing OSU or Michigan or Wisconsin instead of Illinois and Purdue and that's what I want to see.

Once you make a Rose Bowl I think you'll feel a bit differently about it as well.

I think the Big Ten folks are going to be surprised at how little Nebraska Fan is ever going to care about the Rose Bowl. It's a BCS bowl, therefore a major goal, but it's not in-and-of-itself a goal.

This is part of the Big Ten culture I'd like to see Nebraska have a hand in changing. The Rose Bowl should be respected for being a pioneer and for its longevity, and for the history it's given us. But it is no more important than any other BCS bowl, and it should not be the focus of the top teams in the Big Ten, not in today's climate. Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State and (maybe) Wiscy and Penn State, depending on how they recover from sanctions, should always be focused on the National Championship first. The Rose Bowl should always, always be a distant second to that goal.

Nebraska Fan (and I'd wager Rutgers Fan and Maryland Fan) aren't going to have that same nostalgia for the Rose Bowl, likely ever.

Nailed it...

Not too mention, since the BCS has come about, the Rose Bowl has lost some of its luster. Back in the day, when I was a kid, it was a big deal, but now that they have rotating title games, it's just another BCS Bowl...

I hate Jim Delaney, hate the Michigan/Ohio State pompousness almost as much as that of Texas, hate the travel distance, hate the conference's terrible perception, hate our upcoming games against Illinois and Purdue and Rutgers and Maryland, hate the obsession with the Rose Bowl, hate Penn State, hate the Big Ten's total aversion to the playoff, hate how they are afraid to play games at night because apparently everyone in Big Ten country is a massive vagina, hate how we don't play any traditional rivals anymore, and hate having "cultural fit" and "stability" rammed down our throats. Like I've said a ton of times, I know why the move went down from an administrative standpoint. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Fire 1

I hate Jim Delaney, hate the Michigan/Ohio State pompousness almost as much as that of Texas, hate the travel distance, hate the conference's terrible perception, hate our upcoming games against Illinois and Purdue and Rutgers and Maryland, hate the obsession with the Rose Bowl, hate Penn State, hate the Big Ten's total aversion to the playoff, hate how they are afraid to play games at night because apparently everyone in Big Ten country is a massive vagina, hate how we don't play any traditional rivals anymore, and hate having "cultural fit" and "stability" rammed down our throats. Like I've said a ton of times, I know why the move went down from an administrative standpoint. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Sorry.

The one thing thats make this a gigantic clusterf*ck is the non defacto shift twords super conferences, grabbing any school that is available. To make things worse this isn't done for the sake of competition, but for greed which the larger conferences such as the SEC, PAC XII, and B1G are totally guilty. You have the rampant douchebaggery that is the SEC, and those that are struggling to achieve that douchebaggery, namely the B1G, Pac XII, Notre Dame & Texas.

Within a couple years you won't recognize most conferences from what they were 20 or even 15 years ago...