I miss the Big XII.

I knew what you were getting at. I just don't have the info for the rest of the Big XII vs. Big Ten.

Stassen has the answer!

OU/Texas are the only 2 out of the current Big 12. Colorado also had a winning record out of the old Big 12.

Baylor: 2-9-1

ISU: 16-44-3

Kansas : 9-10

KSU: 5-21

OU: 10-5

OSU: 3-8-1

Texas: 10-5

Texas Tech : 4-5

TCU : 10-12-2

WVU: 5-11

Former members:

Colorado: 16-14-1

Mizzou: 33-40-4

Neb: 66-48-4 *Includes seasons after Neb joined Big Ten

TAMU: 6-9

So the Texass 12 conference is half as strong as it was - losing 2 of the 4 teams with winning records

Are most of the road trips (the ones in our division) really that far? or is just a perception based on the fact the we just dont have those nice little 2-3 hours jots to Manhatten and Lawrence?

Thing is, this is according to google maps.

Lincoln to Ames is 3 1/2 hours. Lincoln to Iowa City is 4 1/2 hours.

Lincoln to Columbia is 5 hours. Lincoln to Minneapolis is 6 1/2 hours.

Lincoln to Boulder is 7 hours(a little skewed because of western Nebraskans) and Madison is 7 1/2 hours.

Lincoln to Stillwater/Norman is 6/7 hours respectively. Lincoln to Evanston/Chi is 8 hours.

Then you get into Texas.

To Austin it's 12 1/2 hours and to Columbus it's 12 1/2 hours.

To College Station it's 12 hours and to Ann Arbor it's 11 hours

To Lubbock it's 12 hours and to East Lansing it's 11 hours.

To Waco it's 11 hours and to Bloomington/West Lafayette is 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 hours.

Now, obviously Penn St is just a damn mess and Rutgers/Maryland are long trips as well, but outside to those 3 and the trips down the road to kansas/KSU, the trips in the Big 10 and Big 12 really arent all that dissimilar. But I also realize that these are estimated driving times not taking into account the logistics of flying to these.

Good info, you are really only talking about 3 schools ISU, KSU and KU that are really short drives.

Are most of the road trips (the ones in our division) really that far? or is just a perception based on the fact the we just dont have those nice little 2-3 hours jots to Manhatten and Lawrence?

Lincoln to Boulder is 7 hours(a little skewed because of western Nebraskans) and Madison is 7 1/2 hours.

Lincoln to Stillwater/Norman is 6/7 hours respectively. Lincoln to Evanston/Chi is 8 hours.

Then you get into Texas.

To Waco it's 11 hours and to Bloomington/West Lafayette is 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 hours.

Now, obviously Penn St is just a damn mess and Rutgers/Maryland are long trips as well, but outside to those 3 and the trips down the road to kansas/KSU, the trips in the Big 10 and Big 12 really arent all that dissimilar. But I also realize that these are estimated driving times not taking into account the logistics of flying to these.

Good info, you are really only talking about 3 schools ISU, KSU and KU that are really short drives.

True. But from a comparative standpoint, KU and KSU are really the only stand alone misses. They could even be looked at as a double whammy because we traded those two really short trips in for some extraordinarily long ones to Penn St and now Rutgers and Maryland.

Iowa St has a comparison to Iowa. Just another hour gets you to Iowa City.

College football has gone from an amateur sport to a big money machine. It almost appears as though we're transitioning to a period from the NCAA having all of the power to them having no power at all. Once the super conferences are built, the next step is forming a players union and collective bargaining. Why should a school get 20+ million a year while those playing the game put up all the risk? The super conferences will set up their own schedules and mega money deals while giving the NCAA the middle finger. In essence, we're headed toward the semi-pro league of the NFL.

Of course this all might be for not if some ex-players are right and we have no such thing as football in a couple of decades. When the Big 12 was formed, Nebraska was heavily against profit sharing as we were the big kids on the block playing on national TV much more often than the other members. It's difficult to get all warm and fuzzy over the idea of dilluting the B1G even more with the additions of Rutgers and Maryland. People can say all they want about our perceptions of the B1G ten years ago, but what about the perception of the Big East the past several years?

In essence, we're headed toward the semi-pro league of the NFL.

I've thought this for a while now. College football is the farm league for the NFL. That's the way it is, even though there's no official tie to each other whatsoever. At what point in time does it become official? Do the major conferences and programs give the NCAA the proverbial "middle finger" and begin their own thing? I think it's closer to happening than we all want to admit.

Then you get into Texas.

But those short drives to Kansas/KSU were the ones that fans traveled to in droves. And they were easy tickets. Heck, for anyone in the southern part of the state, the Kansas game is probably easier to make it to than a game in Lincoln.

If a fan travels with the team the entire season, it's not that big of a difference. But, if you only tried to make 1-3 away games a year...then it becomes a bigger deal. You used to be able to drive down and back in the same day to 3-4 of our opponents. Not anymore.

In essence, we're headed toward the semi-pro league of the NFL.

I've thought this for a while now. College football is the farm league for the NFL. That's the way it is, even though there's no official tie to each other whatsoever. At what point in time does it become official? Do the major conferences and programs give the NCAA the proverbial "middle finger" and begin their own thing? I think it's closer to happening than we all want to admit.

the ncaa's corruption, ineptness, and lack of credibility does not help the situation.

Then you get into Texas.

But those short drives to Kansas/KSU were the ones that fans traveled to in droves. And they were easy tickets. Heck, for anyone in the southern part of the state, the Kansas game is probably easier to make it to than a game in Lincoln.

If a fan travels with the team the entire season, it's not that big of a difference. But, if you only tried to make 1-3 away games a year...then it becomes a bigger deal. You used to be able to drive down and back in the same day to 3-4 of our opponents. Not anymore.

So instead of going to Manhattan or Lawrence they can go to Iowa City or Minneapolis. I'm really not seeing the hardship here. You can drive to Iowa City and back in the same day if you really want. Minneapolis as a destination blows away Lawrence, Manhattan or Columbia, MO. Evanston/Chicago laughably blow them away as a destination. All are easily within a one-day drive, as is West Lafayette, and Bloomington. If you start early and make a day of it, it's a day's drive to East Lansing or Ann Arbor. Madison is easily within reach of a day's drive.

I just don't see the difficulty here. If you want to drive to these places they're within reach, either from eastern Nebraska where 80% of the population lives or from Kansas City, where you live.

Then you get into Texas.

Did I or did I not state this exact concept in that post?

And again in this one?.........................

True. But from a comparative standpoint, KU and KSU are really the only stand alone misses. They could even be looked at as a double whammy because we traded those two really short trips in for some extraordinarily long ones to Penn St and now Rutgers and Maryland.

Iowa St has a comparison to Iowa. Just another hour gets you to Iowa City.

In other words, I fully understand what youre saying, but outside of those two locations, it's an overblown exaggeration that we have to travel farther than we did in the Big 12.

Then you get into Texas.

You can drive to Iowa City and back in the same day if you really want.

I've driven to Moline and back in a day, so yep.

And as someone has already said, the % of fans who actually go to away games is actually quite small. In fact, I'm a die hard fan, and before I moved to Lincoln I went to 2 or 3 home games total. And I didn't even live that far away.

So instead of going to Manhattan or Lawrence they can go to Iowa City or Minneapolis. I'm really not seeing the hardship here. You can drive to Iowa City and back in the same day if you really want. Minneapolis as a destination blows away Lawrence, Manhattan or Columbia, MO. Evanston/Chicago laughably blow them away as a destination. All are easily within a one-day drive, as is West Lafayette, and Bloomington. If you start early and make a day of it, it's a day's drive to East Lansing or Ann Arbor. Madison is easily within reach of a day's drive.

Big 10 college towns blow Big 12 college towns out of the water. I lived in Ann Arbor for 3 years... everyone should visit for a weekend. Awesome city, and Madison is just as nice.

I've driven to Moline and back in a day, so yep.

And as someone has already said, the % of fans who actually go to away games is actually quite small. In fact, I'm a die hard fan, and before I moved to Lincoln I went to 2 or 3 home games total. And I didn't even live that far away.

If last year was any indication, I think we'll have a pretty solid presence in Evanston every year. They rarely sell out their stadium so there are always tickets to be had, and there are a TON of Husker fans in Chicagoland. Same goes for Minnesota, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a fair contingent of Husker fans go to the East Coast games as well. Our fans are everywhere, and they are legion.

I never go to road games. Never been to one. Never had the interest. But last year, I really thought about going over to Iowa City and the year before, Minneapolis. Even the CCG I was considering. Just because it's the Big 10 and it's new places.

Roadtrips are awesome. sometimes its tough to decide if they are better than the home game.

Been to ann arbor x4, Madison, State College, West Lafayette, Bloomington, Champaign x3, east lansing, Seattle, Phoenix, Jacksonville, New Orleans,etc

great time except for the games we lost.