I miss the Big XII.

I somewhat agree with the OP. I miss what the Big 12 SHOULD have been, if we didn't have to deal with texa$$' politics and power pulls. I miss the rivalries of the Big 12. I miss the better quality baseball and football. The Big 12 could at least compete with the $EC. I think that OSU will be able to now with Urb, but I don't think that we will ever compete for another MNC in this conference, unless we get a guy like TO, Urb or Saban to coach here, and that is very unlikely to happen. It will also be more difficult to get to the CWS again. The men's basketball was a little easier in the Big 12, so Miles would have a better shot at getting into the upper half of the conference. I don't like the stupid B1G rivalry games or the overrated Rose Bowl, and many of the fans of our new conference foes are worse than CU, KSU, and Mizzou fans. The road trips are farther away, and our fans seem to get treated pretty badly at those locations. To top it all off, OSU gets put on probation, Rutgers is a mess, and PSU had the worst scandal in the history of sports. Pretty embarrassing, really.

I guess the B1G has better wrestling and volleyball, so there is that. In time we will get more TV $$$ and the CIC will be great for the U, but athletically, this has been a fairly poor move. I don't get how many of our fans feel that "its a fit" and it "feels like home." We spent decades (and rightfully so) making fun of how weak B1G football was, now many of those same fans get all twitterpated over playing MSU and Michigan.

This piqued my interest, so I have to ask, what decades were these and in comparison to what? Made fun of how weak the Big Ten was in comparison to the Big 12 and Big 8?

From the 70's until the day we joined the B1G. If I recall, the B1G has only won one legit MNC since the 60's, while teams from the Big 8 and Big 12 were almost always in the MNC picture, often played for it (much more so than B1G teams), and won more in that time period. Heck, we have won more legit MNCs since the 60's than the B1G as a whole.

I know, I know, the Big 8/18 had OSU, and Texas Tech, and Baylor, and Mizzou, and Kansas, and KSU, and Colorado. Well, the majority (if not all) of those teams have either been rated #1 at some point, have played in BCS/major bowl games, or have had a Heisman Trophy winner.

I guess I don't totally understand this, most of the schools in the B1G during that time had also been ranked number 1, played in major bowls or whatever, but I think what is most compelling is that the up to 2008 (just b/c thats where I saw the records up to), every school in the B1G had a winning record against the Big 12/8 except for Illinois (even Indiana did), while only Texas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma had winning records against teams from the B1G, the overall record between the conferences isn't even close. I get that Nebraska had a terrific 90s decade and Nebraska was better than the B1G during that decade (hell, Nebraska was the Big12/8 for a while after Oklahoma dropped off the map), but statistically speaking in head to head match-ups, the B1G has been the stronger conference (perhaps not perception wise, but when the teams have played, the numbers are there). But, oh well.

**Edit: I should point out that I didn't check what the head to head records were from the 70s on, just overall (didn't have the time)

I think the perception of a weak big 10 by many Husker fans is due to our dominance of big 10 teams from the 70's onward. But, when I say this Nebraska had never played OSU or Michigan in that time period, but twice and that was Michigan in bowl games. NU split with Michigan in those games. We also have a split record against PSU during this time, but they were not in the Big 10 for most of that series. Otherwise most Nebraska fans perception of the big 10 is stopping Iowa except in 81'. Beating the crap out of MSU led by Sabin in the 90's and killing weak Wisky and Indiana teams in the 70's and week Illinois and Minn. teams in the 80's For most of the 70's and 80's the Big 10 resembled the big 8. Two dominate teams OSU and Michigan vs. NU and OU and 8 ugly step children instead of 6. Historically the big 10 is not a super strong conference but neither was any conference during the 60's and 70's.

My memories of the Big XII include the Big Kat truckin' Corby Jones, Ted Ginn making the cowboys look silly and groundstomping A&M in the Sugar Bowl.

But I realize those games were against 2nd and 3rd tier schools. much harder against the top tier of any conference.

I never equated destroying Mizzou with the Big XII sucking

My memories of the Big XII include the Big Kat truckin' Corby Jones, Ted Ginn making the cowboys look silly and groundstomping A&M in the Sugar Bowl.

But I realize those games were against 2nd and 3rd tier schools. much harder against the top tier of any conference.

I never equated destroying Mizzou with the Big XII sucking

Exactly the way I feel. But, that is the way some feel about the big 10 being weak.

**Edit: I should point out that I didn't check what the head to head records were from the 70s on, just overall (didn't have the time)

Since 1970, Nebraska is 43-11 against the Big Ten, outscoring them 1,931-915.

We're upside-down against Wisconsin, but otherwise we're either even or in the plus column against the rest of the Big Ten - with the exception of Purdue, whom we haven't played since the 50s.

Not sure what the rest of the Big XII records would be. That would take quite a bit of digging.

Yeah, sorry, I should have been clearer, I was referring to the conference v. conference record and not just Nebraska (I had assumed that one was lopsided in Nebraska's favor).

Like other have said - only miss big 8 schools - mostly OU, KU, KSU, OSU - since I'm in Tulsa - wish i had those close games to go to again.

I'd like to see the Big 10 Grab KU for basketball and somehow get OU but I don't think OU comes without little brother OSU.

Like other have said - only miss big 8 schools - mostly OU, KU, KSU, OSU - since I'm in Tulsa - wish i had those close games to go to again.

I'd like to see the Big 10 Grab KU for basketball and somehow get OU but I don't think OU comes without little brother OSU.

That is what they said about A&M that if Texas went somewhere they would have to tag along. Well we know how that turned out. I think if OU got a really good deal that would be too good to pass up they would let OU and OSU separate. OSU doesn't need to tag along anymore since they have funding by Pickens and their program is on the rise.

I knew what you were getting at. I just don't have the info for the rest of the Big XII vs. Big Ten.

Stassen has the answer!

OU/Texas are the only 2 out of the current Big 12. Colorado also had a winning record out of the old Big 12.

Baylor: 2-9-1

ISU: 16-44-3

Kansas : 9-10

KSU: 5-21

OU: 10-5

OSU: 3-8-1

Texas: 10-5

Texas Tech : 4-5

TCU : 10-12-2

WVU: 5-11

Former members:

Colorado: 16-14-1

Mizzou: 33-40-4

Neb: 66-48-4 *Includes seasons after Neb joined Big Ten

TAMU: 6-9

doesn't need to be, the NHL sucks less than the NFL...

What? No. NFL is king, and it's not even debatable. If you want to make a case for it being better than the NBA, fine. All those other sports are just distractions from the hell of waiting for football to start anyway. That's their only useful function.

Are most of the road trips (the ones in our division) really that far? or is just a perception based on the fact the we just dont have those nice little 2-3 hours jots to Manhatten and Lawrence?

Thing is, this is according to google maps.

Lincoln to Ames is 3 1/2 hours. Lincoln to Iowa City is 4 1/2 hours.

Lincoln to Columbia is 5 hours. Lincoln to Minneapolis is 6 1/2 hours.

Lincoln to Boulder is 7 hours(a little skewed because of western Nebraskans) and Madison is 7 1/2 hours.

Lincoln to Stillwater/Norman is 6/7 hours respectively. Lincoln to Evanston/Chi is 8 hours.

Then you get into Texas.

To Austin it's 12 1/2 hours and to Columbus it's 12 1/2 hours.

To College Station it's 12 hours and to Ann Arbor it's 11 hours

To Lubbock it's 12 hours and to East Lansing it's 11 hours.

To Waco it's 11 hours and to Bloomington/West Lafayette is 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 hours.

Now, obviously Penn St is just a damn mess and Rutgers/Maryland are long trips as well, but outside to those 3 and the trips down the road to kansas/KSU, the trips in the Big 10 and Big 12 really arent all that dissimilar. But I also realize that these are estimated driving times not taking into account the logistics of flying to these.

• Fire 1

Wasn't there something about better access to airports by moving to the B1G?

I thought I remember someone from the athletic department saying that B1G schools are all closer to airports than a lot of the Big XII schools. Meaning that flying to the Big XII games meant you had to drive a couple hours or so after the flight and that is not really the case anymore with the B1G schools.