Racism Alive and Well

http://whateverblog.dallasnews.com/2013/06/11-year-old-mariachi-singer-blasted-with-racism-for-singing-national-anthem-at-basketball-game.html/

Don't let anyone tell you that racism is gone. It isn't, and the internet makes that very clear.

Oh, say can you see… that Mexican-Americans are Americans? Apparently some basketball fans cannot.

The now 11-year-old mariachi singer who competed on “America’s Got Talent” last season sang the national anthem Tuesday, June 11 at the NBA’s third finals game between the Miami Heat and the San Antonio Spurs. Sebastien De La Cruz, nicknamed El Charro de Oro, stepped onto the court in his traditional mariachi suit and sang his heart out.

All was well until numerous fans began silently interrupting the little guy with racist tweets. Danny Ramos tweeted @duhmandan, “It’s ironic how a little Mexican boy is singing the national anthem of AMERICA” before deleting his Twitter account.

I don't condone ever making fun of children in this fashion. I would be curios to know what some of the other tweets were, though. Is it considered racism because it was a kid singing? Based on the 2 examples in the story it is in poor taste to go after the kid. but what if it was a 30 year old man instead? Would it have received the same attention?

Jay Leno makes Mexican jokes all the time on NBC. Comedians make these same kind of comments about other races and people don't go crazy on them.

Sadly, the Internet has given idiots the ability to say what ever they feel with the ability to remain anonymous.

Unfortunately, there will always be idiots in the world. We need to recognize that while also realizing that not every time someone yells "racism" is it really racism. It's a confusing world we live in.

Yes, racism is still alive. It's bad enough when it targets an adult but seems much worse when directed at a young boy like this. I guess this is just one more reason to stay away from Twitter and tweets. I never have understood the draw of it to begin with. Ya know what? I don't care what somebody thinks or has to say about virtually anything unless they are speaking directly to me or in the context of something I care about (i.e. a thread/forum I am following on someplace like HB). This particular case is bad but I really have to wonder about people that get all upset over what some random a-hole said about some random event that really had nothing to do with them. Quit following Twitter and reading tweets and you'll be subjected to a lot less comments that make you question humanity. There is not one thing I am missing in life by not sending or reading tweets. I would highly recommend it.

Sadly, the Internet has given idiots the ability to say what ever they feel with the ability to remain anonymous.

Unfortunately, there will always be idiots in the world. We need to recognize that while also realizing that not every time someone yells "racism" is it really racism. It's a confusing world we live in.

So... is this not racism? I guess I don't get your point.

So... is this not racism? I guess I don't get your point.

Looks like he proved his point.

I'm fine calling this racism. It's racially motivated and in extremely poor taste.

However, to explain my point, there are two extremes on this issue. There are idiots who claim racism doesn't exist. There are also idiots who claim every single little bad thing that happens to a minority is racism. Reality is somewhere in between.