I am thinking about getting a game system for the house/kids. The last system I bought was the original Playstation in 1997.

Since I have young kids(6 and under), I was thinking a Wii would be the better system to get. It seemed pretty user friendly for kids their age.

I have no idea of cost of systems, games, accessories, etc. And I have no idea about Pros and Cons of each type out there. Before I start digging in for research, I thought I would get some opinions from HB members and see what works for them.

Any insights and opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

I am thinking about getting a game system for the house/kids. The last system I bought was the original Playstation in 1997.

Since I have young kids(6 and under), I was thinking a Wii would be the better system to get. It seemed pretty user friendly for kids their age.

I have no idea of cost of systems, games, accessories, etc. And I have no idea about Pros and Cons of each type out there. Before I start digging in for research, I thought I would get some opinions from HB members and see what works for them.

Thanks

I've been partial to PlayStation for years but I have three kids - 9, 6 & 4 - and they love the Wii we have now. Even the four year old can almost run it by herself. And we have Netflix on there so they can play games or watch something. Keeps them pretty well entertained.

Thanks

In all seriousness, you may not want to start such little kids on sophisticated systems. I know a guy that bought an old NES and even an Atari 2600 for his small kids just because the controls are so easy and the games so uncomplicated that little kids can enjoy them and quickly pick them up. They also, obviously, run a lot cheaper than newer systems.

Thanks

In all seriousness, you may not want to start such little kids on sophisticated systems. I know a guy that bought an old NES and even an Atari 2600 for his small kids just because the controls are so easy and the games so uncomplicated that little kids can enjoy them and quickly pick them up. They also, obviously, run a lot cheaper than newer systems.

That's a good idea. But if you're not looking to go that route, the Wii is probably the best option. A lot of family compatible games.

The Wii is the perfect system for family/children oriented video gaming. It's very easy to figure out and has a ton of great options for little kids, significantly more than the PS3 or 360.

The 360 and PS3 have motion activated systems and children oriented games, but both systems are definitely more adult focused. If you want more advice on those, I'm sure we can help, but it sounds like you're looking to get something for the whole family. If that's the case, I'd rock the Wii.

I'll join the crowd and say Nintendo is best suited for you. Wii most likely, but possibly a Wii U. Both are very kid friendly, as they are really just kid systems. If you (or the kids) love Mario, Zelda and the rest of the Nintendo franchises, it will hit a home run. If you don't like Mario and crew, you are pretty much screwed though. Also, I don't know about how much longer you will be able to buy Wii games in stores, as it is 'last gen' by Nintendo standards, and even the newer Wii U has a very limited number of releases.

Don't worry about the 'sophistication' of any of the three systems, if you havnt played in the last decade or more, they will probably figure it out faster than you. Also one thing to keep in mind is the Wii only outputs at standard def, so it will look like crap on a big HDTV. The Wii U will do HD and be closer to the PS3 or Xbox360 in looks.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't get a WiiU personally. Yes it has HD but that isn't saying a lot. There is a huge catalog for the original Wii and you can get one pretty cheap.

No one is buying a Wii U.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/nintendo-financials-reveal-dire-wii-u-sales

The Wii U sold just 160,000 units globally between the beginning of April and the end of June, an astonishingly low number. That's less than half the 390,000 units that it managed to sell in the final three months of its last financial year. Software figures were not much better: 1.03 million total for the quarter. Total Wii U sales now stand at 3.61 million.

The Wii, meanwhile, sold 210,000 in the same period, with 3.67 million games sold. It's just nudged over 100 million lifetime sales.

To say nothing of the fact that most of the big name next gen titles are skipping the Wii U.