"How Good Was 1995 Nebraska?"...check out HailVarsity

Very fun read on HailVarsity.com today. They look back on just how good that 1995 Nebraska team really was. Here is the link to the article http://hailvarsity.com/2013/07/how-good-was-1995-nebraska/

Do yourself a favor and take a long look at the chart that the article provides about half-way down.

There is still no question in my mind...the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers were, and STILL are the greatest college football team ever!

Based on a decade of academic research, we developed a ranking algorithm for college football teams. In essence, it takes margin of victory and adjusts for strength of schedule.

Great article! I wonder how they account for margin of victory? Some coaches run up the score. Others don't. It seems like you'd need to reward teams for margin of victory in a diminishing nonlinear manner. Rather than straightlining it. But maybe this is obvious.

Another thing I'd put the in the algorithm is homefield advantage. Granted, it would be completely subjective. But it's real.

Based on a decade of academic research, we developed a ranking algorithm for college football teams. In essence, it takes margin of victory and adjusts for strength of schedule.

Great article! I wonder how they account for margin of victory? Some coaches run up the score. Others don't. It seems like you'd need to reward teams for margin of victory in a diminishing nonlinear manner. Rather than straightlining it. But maybe this is obvious.

Another thing I'd put the in the algorithm is homefield advantage. Granted, it would be completely subjective. But it's real.

Very good points. I'm not sure how they would account for margin of victory? That, along with home field advantage like you mentioned, does seem like it would be at least beneficial additions to their algorithm. But I'm going to stop there because I'm terrible at math.

The chart in that article is what really blew my mind, especially comparing where that 1995 Nebraska team was in comparison to the rest of the nation that year.

ROFLOL! I laughed my butt off watching that clip! Herbstreet was a riot! I remember watching that whole thing when it happened (and voting) It was fun watching him squirm like a worm! Interesting comments at the bottom of the page too!

Hey, did folks here on this board ever vote who they thought would be better (71 vs 95 teams) if so, could someone provide the link?

My favorite stat form that season: if we would have scored a TD at the end of the Fiesta Bowl instead of kneeling on it inside Florida's 10 yard line, we would have beaten Florida worse than we beat Pacific.

I think having a 3rd string walk-on QB kneel on the 1 to run out the clock was more of a kick to Florida's balls than if we had actually scored again. It was beautiful.

My favorite stat form that season: if we would have scored a TD at the end of the Fiesta Bowl instead of kneeling on it inside Florida's 10 yard line, we would have beaten Florida worse than we beat Pacific.

I think having a 3rd string walk-on QB kneel on the 1 to run out the clock was more of a kick to Florida's balls than if we had actually scored again. It was beautiful.

unTJY.AuSt.71.jpeg

Or if that fluke touchdown from Florida where their receiver's foot was out of bounds didn't count.