Kirk Ferentz makes the list._____Of five worst coaches. lol

NUance

The 10 best and five worst coaches in college football

Stewart Mandel>INSIDE COLLEGE FOOTBALL, Posted: Mon July 8, 2013 11:15AM; Updated: Mon July 8, 2013 4:48PM

<snip>

The five worst coaches (in alphabetical order)

Tim Beckman, Illinois. I may be jumping the gun here, but Beckman -- hired at Illinois following a pair of eight-win seasons at Toledo -- has done little to inspire confidence either on the field (2-10 in 2012) or on the recruiting trail with the Illini.

Ron English, Eastern Michigan. Patience is a virtue in Ypsilanti, Mich., where the Eagles have gone 10-38 (7-25 in the MAC) in four seasons under the former Michigan and Louisville defensive coordinator.

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa. The 2009 Orange Bowl proved an aberration in Ferentz's otherwise unimpressive recent tenure. Take away that one 11-2 season and the Hawkeyes are 47-41 since 2005 under their $3.6 million-per-year coach.

Lane Kiffin, USC. Any confidence inspired by a breakthrough 10-2 campaign in 2011 was shattered by last year's 7-6 implosion, when Kiffin's USC squad -- without question -- finished as the biggest underachiever in the country.

Charlie Weis, Kansas. Weis' past five seasons as a college coach consisted of 3-9, 7-6 and 6-6 records at Notre Dame, one 7-6 campaign as Florida's offensive coordinator and a 1-11 debut at Kansas.

LINK

Ha ha! One of the five worst coaches in FBS. Okay, I think Ferentz is overrated. He's mediocre at best. But there's no way he is one of the bottom five coaches of the 120-something FBS schools. Bottom 40? Maybe. Bottom 60? Definitely. But not bottom 5. But he probably is in the bottom 10% of coaches making $2 million plus. :lol:

i think you could make the argument given how much he is paid and the expectations the program has. he has definitely under-preformed. maybe with an all-things-being-equal consideration it would be unfair to place he as a bottom five coach, but given a certain criteria, he definitely deserves to be there.

sd'sker is right. Any time you talk about Ferentz, you have to consider how much money he is making for the product that he puts out on the field. Impossible to separate the issues.

Also, I think Beckman gets kinda a bad rap and I don't think Illinois recruting has been THAT bad. Plus, he dips on the field for the lulz.

He doesn't belong in the 5 worst coaches list. Pay has no bearing on that rating. He belongs in a top list of laughably underachieving coaches. I think it could be argued that Lane Kiffin belongs on both of those lists because USC is in a recruiting hot bed and should be battling for national championships every year (as should Texas). Ferentz at least has the excuse that he's in Iowa. He's not laying eggs with great recruits, and he's not completely at fault if his recruiting classes aren't great. Basically the people at fault are the idiots who decided to give him that much $.

He is garbage and Iowa can do better but the five worst??? please.

He has a BCS win. how many programs can claim that?

Kansas with Mangino - oops

A little off topic, but I'm surprised Mangino didn't land another HC job after KU. The guy is a good coach. So what if he yells at his players. And assistant coaches. And everybody else. He can whip a team into shape and win. Who knows, maybe he'll end up at Nebraska in some capacity--say OC or something. Don't laugh, he is at Youngstown State right now--that town where we hire all our coaches from. :lol:

A little off topic, but I'm surprised Mangino didn't land another HC job after KU. The guy is a good coach. So what if he yells at his players. And assistant coaches. And everybody else. He can whip a team into shape and win. Who knows, maybe he'll end up at Nebraska in some capacity--say OC or something. Don't laugh, he is at Youngstown State right now--that town where we hire all our coaches from. :lol:

... AND, he is originally from that area as well, if I am not mistaken. I'm sure Bo would get along well with him, but brings a little baggage. And I don't mean his pants, although being morbidly obese has not helped him in the job market. He is a good coach, though. I'm sure we could hook him up with Chuck Weis's guy and get a staple, or a tapeworm, or something.

Maybe he could hire Richard Simmons to follow him around and hurl insults at him all day. Now that's entertainment.

The Greg Davis hire is a really bad one. He ran a much different system at UT, and almost got Mack fired with it. Then Ferentz picks him as his guy.

How do you think that is going to work out?

Oh, I'm sure the athletes that the system needs will come to Iowa. Especially now that they aren't recruiting Florida anymore.

The Iowegians ripped Stewart Mandel for putting Ferentz on that list:

Well, it's been an interesting week. While I certainly expected some backlash from Monday's "10 best and five worst coaches" lists -- there always is when rankings are involved -- never in a million years did I expect the entire state of Iowa to come after me on Twitter. Call me naïve, but it never even occurred to me that Kirk Ferentz's inclusion on the less flattering list would be all that controversial given his program's gradual descent over the past seven years from annual Big Ten title contender to sub-.500 conference team (27-29).

Folks, I have never seen a fan base defend a coach coming off a 4-8 season the way Iowa fans defended Ferentz this week. It's been incredible. A small sampling (all from Twitter):

Click me for the full story

You have to wonder how much longer the natives are going to support HCKF if he puts forth a couple more seasons of .500 football. They're 19-19 in the past three years, and that's after coming off an 11-2 campaign which saw the Hawkeyes finish 7th in the AP poll.