Bo's Job Security - 2013 (Poll 1)

Bo Pelini's job security  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our scheme isn't really that complicated. However the thing about our scheme is that it is very imparative that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER does EXACTLY what they are suppose to. In Bo's scheme it doesn't leave any room for someone to go off on their own and be a hero. Fundamental football lost us the BIG championship.

Our scheme isn't really that complicated. However the thing about our scheme is that it is very imparative that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER does EXACTLY what they are suppose to. In Bo's scheme it doesn't leave any room for someone to go off on their own and be a hero. Fundamental football lost us the BIG championship.

I'd say the second sentence of your post almost entirely contradicts then first sentence of your post which I highlighted. I would say being required to do EXACTLY your assignment for an entire college football defensive unit is very difficult.

Another issue I have is that Bo is constantly begging for guys to step up and make plays. Well, his scheme, and according to your statement is almost an ANTI-playmaker philosophy. Which is why I always found it comical, when the leading tackler of all time at Nebraska, Lavonte David, was repeatedly "out of position" and in Bo's words "swimming in it" or "lost out there"....f'ing comical really.

Thirdly, I've heard multiple, MULTIPLE, players quoted that the key to playing on this defense is spending the majority of your time studying the playbook and in the film room. This defense has been described by almost every knowledgeable person and analyst as complicated. I've even heard many, many players and outsiders describe this defense as "Bo doing things almost no other college defense does"........Sorry E, but if players, coaches and analysts all of whom are more knowledgeable of the situation than you or I are telling me it's complicated, well then my friend......It's COMPLICATED.

• Fire 4

I'd say the second sentence of your post almost entirely contradicts then first sentence of your post which I highlighted. I would say being required to do EXACTLY your assignment for an entire college football defensive unit is very difficult.

Another issue I have is that Bo is constantly begging for guys to step up and make plays. Well, his scheme, and according to your statement is almost an ANTI-playmaker philosophy. Which is why I always found it comical, when the leading tackler of all time at Nebraska, Lavonte David, was repeatedly "out of position" and in Bo's words "swimming in it" or "lost out there"....f'ing comical really.

Thirdly, I've heard multiple, MULTIPLE, players quoted that the key to playing on this defense is spending the majority of your time studying the playbook and in the film room. This defense has been described by almost every knowledgeable person and analyst as complicated. I've even heard many, many players and outsiders describe this defense as "Bo doing things almost no other college defense does"........Sorry E, but if players, coaches and analysts all of whom are more knowledgeable of the situation than you or I are telling me it's complicated, well then my friend......It's COMPLICATED.

I don't believe that it contradicts what I said. I said it wasn't complicated then basically stated it is predicated on every player doing their specifc job.

When you say that he says that he is talking about players coming up and making the plays they should make. For example, in our lever-spill-lever technique on the first play in the Wiscy game, everybody did their job to the T. To the T. Except Damian Stafford. That man needed to MAKE THAT PLAY. That is the plays I'm imagining he's referring to.

Let me rephrase. I understand the basic techniques of our run defense. I believe I sent you the link to that blog as well. Could some variations be complicated? Sure. I don't have the full play book. Lavonte David was the player he was because he watched more film on the other teams offenses than any linebacker we've ever had.

• Fire 1

Lavonte David was the player he was because he watched more film on the other teams offenses than any linebacker we've ever had.

¿Cómo se dice...?!?!??

LaVonte may have watched a ton of film, but he was also a brilliantly gifted natural LB. This statement takes it a bit too far.

Lavonte David was the player he was because he watched more film on the other teams offenses than any linebacker we've ever had.

¿Cómo se dice...?!?!??

LaVonte may have watched a ton of film, but he was also a brilliantly gifted natural LB. This statement takes it a bit too far.

You are right. Allow me to rephrase. Lavonte watched a ton of film. His junior year he may have been "swimming in it" the first few games. But he was never lost when it came to knowing pre-snap where he needed to be to make the play.

¿Cómo se dice...?!?!??

You are right. Allow me to rephrase. Lavonte watched a ton of film. His junior year he may have been "swimming in it" the first few games. But he was never lost when it came to knowing pre-snap where he needed to be to make the play.

The same could be said of Dejon Gomes, another JUCO. But the bottom line is, we don't have a David or Gomes on this team this year, and we're more likely to suffer huge blowouts because of it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582844-nebraska-football-how-bo-pelini-can-scheme-around-weaknesses-on-defense

"Pelini may need to simplify his beloved schemes that many players have complained are more complex than anything they see in their classes. But a return to the aggression and physicality that tormented Husker opponents in their last years in the Big 12 will play to Nebraska’s strengths and promote a defensive style that imposes its will rather than reacting to opposing offenses."

"By ditching the basic four-man fronts and soft coverages, the Huskers should implement an aggressive, risky and loose style of play. More jamming at the line, more blitz packages, more flying around the field and flocking to the ball like men possessed."

This is the first article I found, with simply a few quotes, but this only took me two minutes to find. This is a journalist stating his belief which backs up what he has also heard from many players. Fact is, many players were quoted as saying the scheme was harder to learn than most of their classes. I can find more articles and quotes it's not hard to find. What is difficult, is arguing with people that close to the situation.

I'm not into calling players out personally, but I can think of five to ten off the top of my head that do support it. There will always be exceptions to the rule. You can't look at that defensive product we've put on the field the past few years and make any kind of claim that Bo consistently coaches up talent.

I don't know how you can say one way or the other. How do we know the players on the field this last season weren't actually really that horrendously awful and it was a miracle of coaching to get the production out of them that we did?

I'm not into calling players out personally, but I can think of five to ten off the top of my head that do support it. There will always be exceptions to the rule. You can't look at that defensive product we've put on the field the past few years and make any kind of claim that Bo consistently coaches up talent.

I don't know how you can say one way or the other. How do we know the players on the field this last season weren't actually really that horrendously awful and it was a miracle of coaching to get the production out of them that we did?

So you'd rather sh#t on the players and their abilities, plus sh#t on Bo and Co.'s ability to recruit, rather than just admit that player development has been lacking? Hmmm......interesting concept.

So you'd rather sh#t on the players and their abilities, plus sh#t on Bo and Co.'s ability to recruit, rather than just admit that player development has been lacking? Hmmm......interesting concept.

No. I am asking a genuine, non-loaded question to which I do not know the answer.

Yet if that is the answer to the question you seek answered, then the answer would be much more difficult to swallow than the question in which was asked. Or is the question possibly one of many questions that have yet to be answered in a string of answerless questions.

Bo's defense is no different then Saban's defense when it comes to the responsibilities of the players. Saban runs a 3-4 and has his guys doing certain things to make it work so that they play as a unit. Bo does this exact same thing.