Bo's Job Security - 2013 (Poll 1)

Bo Pelini's job security  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think there is any way he ends up getting fired after this season. He's given us 9+ wins year after year and with this schedule there is no reason we shouldn't expect the same. I'll agree that if we don't get a conference championship under our belt in the next 3 to 5 years then his seat is going to be unbearable.

Probably depends on Michigan/Ohio State. With where Hoke and Meyer have those schools going we could very well be playing a top 3 team every year for that conference championship. It's bound to get tougher. Can't get any easier than a 5 loss opponent. I still think everything is going to center around how competitive of a team we field. If we reach that game every year, and have a similar outcome to last year a couple more times...it going to quickly gloss over those 9 wins. As someone else said, every year since that A&M game in 2010 we've slowly become less and less competitive in those national stage type games. It seems like the 2010 Texas game is when we discovered Bo has a hard time bringing the A team for big games. Maybe once a season he can, but we play 3 or 4 of those games a year, and generally we've been the better team in most of them.

Last 2 years, with 8 losses I'd say the only teams we weren't better than going into the game was Wisconsin (2011), South Carolina (2011), Ohio State (2012 - and this one is close), Georgia (2012). He should have 2 or 3 out of those other 4 losses, and maybe 1 of these 4.

Both Michigan and tOSU have caught lightning in a bottle for both years, Michigan(2011) and tOSU last year. Michigan wasn't all that great last year and tOSU won some very close games that they shouldn't have. We were in the same boat as tOSU with a few of our games but to say that both of those teams will be top 3 and not us is just some what ridiculous. We are on the same level as both, maybe a little behind tOSU but right on par with Michigan.

Both Michigan and tOSU have caught lightning in a bottle for both years, Michigan(2011) and tOSU last year. Michigan wasn't all that great last year and tOSU won some very close games that they shouldn't have. We were in the same boat as tOSU with a few of our games but to say that both of those teams will be top 3 and not us is just some what ridiculous. We are on the same level as both, maybe a little behind tOSU but right on par with Michigan.

agree

The irony is that I remember when Steve Pederson said he would not let Nebraska 'gravitate into mediocrity'. That's exactly where I feel we are at and have been from a national title contender perspective.

I would shed no tears if he were fired. The real problem lies in just exactly who would become our next head coach.

We could ask Solich back? :rolleyes:

:devil

Luckily, when we fire Bo after this season he can fall back on his baseball career. The Cubs could probably use a southpaw out of the pen.

Doubtful. That's not even the proper 4 seam grip. :D

We're talking the Cubs here, remember.

My bad.

The irony is that I remember when Steve Pederson said he would not let Nebraska 'gravitate into mediocrity'. That's exactly where I feel we are at and have been from a national title contender perspective.

I would shed no tears if he were fired. The real problem lies in just exactly who would become our next head coach.

You and I have different definitions of mediocrity. Three conference title games in the last four years is a far cry from mediocre. Not as good as we'd all like, but no where near mediocre.

That's because you actually know the definition of mediocre.

:rollin

Although we want to do better than we have in past few years, to say that we are mediocre is way off base too me! Bo will be just fine and continue to get better with each passing year. Don't know if he will get us to the NCG but it won't be because he lacks effort or desire!

Eichorst is already being carefully watched by Husker Nation since taking over for TO. TO did his best to leave the athletic dept. in stable condition for the new AD. The last thing Eichorst wants is to fire Bo and tie himself to another HC. The heat would then be turned up on him quite early in his tenure. Nobody wants to see Bo succeed more than our new AD.

Eichorst is already being carefully watched by Husker Nation since taking over for TO. TO did his best to leave the athletic dept. in stable condition for the new AD. The last thing Eichorst wants is to fire Bo and tie himself to another HC. The heat would then be turned up on him quite early in his tenure. Nobody wants to see Bo succeed more than our new AD.

What? I thought it usually worked well for your first big decision to be firing the head coach of the highest-profile program.

ncf_a_spederson_dj_300.jpg

Bo will never get fired for W/L. I think there's enough sutiors out there at the pro and college levels that he would just quit if he ever felt he had lost support.

He will not up and leave, regardless how bad the support is. With the size of contracts and buy-outs, payoffs, and quickness of which they are paid when a program does want someone gone, there's no way that would happen. Hell even Dan Hawkins stuck around until he was canned, and you know he wanted out after about 23 minutes.