WOW Nice mount! I haven't moved into CCD yet. Mine just "tracks" with the step motor, and it does a poor job at that. Do you have any pics you can post?

I'm not patient enough for CCD, just using my Canon 5D mounted to the back of my 105. I have pics, but nothing I'm proud of. When I get the stacking and processing down better I will get some up on here!

Cool. I emailed my friend that is big into astrophotograghy, and he uses Photoshop, and Adobe Raw. Hope that helps

That's what I'm currently doing...minus the Adobe Raw part. I would just rather spend more time outside looking up than in the house clicking the mouse! This should be easier.......

Ah, nice setups for you both. And while there is something to be said about getting into astronomy step by step, it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea. In the end, it's about having fun and enjoying your time while looking/imaging and so it becomes a very individual, personal thing. The nice thing about jumping right to something like a CPC 1100 is that it will show you a very nice view of a wide range of targets, including a lot of DSO's, as long as you're able and willing to deal with the size/weight of it.

As for imaging, I don't do any of that, so I can't offer any practical advice.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested and awake right now, an extremely rare hybrid solar eclipse is occurring. http://www.slooh.com has live coverage from Kenya where totality is about 20 minutes or so away.

Edit - And I believe the August 2017 total solar eclipse will encompass Lincoln and areas south through a relatively small stretch (it actually passes in a small swath across the whole of the US). It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for most because you usually have to travel long distances to see one.

In case anyone is interested and awake right now, an extremely rare hybrid solar eclipse is occurring. http://www.slooh.com has live coverage from Kenya where totality is about 20 minutes or so away.

Edit - And I believe the August 2017 total solar eclipse will encompass Lincoln and areas south through a relatively small stretch (it actually passes in a small swath across the whole of the US). It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for most because you usually have to travel long distances to see one.

We are planning a party for this out by Hastings. I will look is up again but this is supposed to be the longest total eclipse in our lifetimes, and central NE will be the spot where is is the longest.

• 2 weeks later...